Freestyle State Numbers

Mattyb

At the end of pre-reg.... it appears that number went up 95 wrestlers from last year (typically will be a few more walk ups).  

2017- 711 pre-reg

2016- 616

2015- 647

2014- 787

2013- 814

2012- 791

2011- 894

Thoughts?

2010- 998

2009- 1068

2008- 1080

2007- 1304

These are all that are recorded on track. We did not use track prior to a decade ago (as far as I know).

This years numbers do not include walk ups and the 28 girls. It seems like a pretty big increase from the last couple years.

I personally think that the increase is the result of the week night tourneys. Not only does it give kids a better chance to "qualify", it is getting more kids freestyle matches for little time invested. Families are getting more familiar with this style.

In the past, some really good kids would keep wrestling folkstyle (the national circuit) after our state. Those same kids would come to freestyle state and get beat by some average kids that were training freestyle. Not to mention that the freestyle rules kept changing. This was a really bad combo. Those families then left with the opinion that freestyle "sucks" or "is stupid".

I know that the quailifiying process is not ideal for all... but... it has lead to new opportunities for our kids. Hopefully we will continue to see growth.

Edited by Mattyb

any big names registered???\

if you are asking in a round about way if Nick Wiesjahn is registered.......................sadly not this year, but here is to hoping maybe next year !!!!

I've seen several good wrestlers registered. Just a quick scan of the list (and there are tons of good wrestlers in my opinion that are competing that I'm not mentioning) - Alec Viduya, Gavin Rose, Seth Johnson, Alara Boyd, Silas Allred, Lukasz Walendzak, Brycen Denney, Josh Stephenson, Trevor Ragle, Carter Noehre, Jordan Slivka, Triston Sellmer, Zach Mellowh, Kasper McIntosh, Noah Warren, Kyle Hatch, Oszker Kasch, Tucker Coffman, Eli Stock, Gleason Mappes, Jack Eiteljorge, Brad Lowe, Tanner Webster, Lucas Davison and Thomas Penola - just to name a few.

Back in 04 or 05 Perry Meridian had 1100 for our Freestyle/Greco tourney. Over 800 freestyle. This was at the middle school and yes it was ridiculous.

Thanks for the flashback. It was a tight fit, but that one actually didn't rank on my top 3 worst weekends a USA tournament though.

I saw a lot of the middle school monsters that will be wrestling, some big future names that most already know , like Blake Boarman, Zeke Seltzer, Jesse Mendez, Ty Lehman, Ben Dalton, Bryer Hall, kysen Montgomery, Hayden Watson, Scott Fitts, Alex Cottey, and I've seen a couple of these 8th graders handle some fresh & soph state placers. The quality is definitely there, I love the fact that you must qualify (participate in 2 tournaments before state) to wrestle at state, makes the kids get more experience, maybe if you don't place top 4 in one of the two tournaments then you must wrestle in a third tournament. Idk, maybe I'm asking for to much but I really don't think we get enough freestyle wrestling in, or greco, just my thought on this , good luck to everyone tomorrow .

I remember back in the indiana state fair grounds tournament was PACKED!!!

I remember when Tech high school was packed! Nothing like getting your bout sheet in staging, mean mugging your opponent all the way to the mat, then going outside to play on the dirt hill with him after the match (as you had to wait 3 hours for your next match)! Edited by Mattyb

Tech High School was great.  Make weight & hit Roselyn Bakery for some rat poop patries.  Remember back then it was a 2 day FS tourney?  You had to earn your way to Sunday every year.

It's been a few years since we have been to a ISWA Freestyle State. Definitely miss it, we are big freestyle fans. Wish more kids would wrestle freestyle, would help with kids having to wrestle every 15 minutes. ISWA did a great job of keeping things moving along. Kyle wrestled 4 matches and was done within 3 hours. Only complaint would be that the concession stands lack a few stars.....But otherwise great job! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.