Brownsburg Getting NEW Wrestling Room!- Any advice?

Brownsburg will be getting a new Wrestling Room next year. Needless to say, we are absolutely thrilled. I was told it will be "state of the art and spectacular". 

Below are a couple mock ups of what it will look like. Some details are finalized, some I had input on, and some were above my pay grade.  I certainly have been given a great deal of latitude on the room, though...these are just mocks - for example, we designed the mats recently...they will be different then the pictures....added bulldog logo, etc.

9246704201cbdddea7cd5225dedb109cb4729fc2

96939049eb66ab5b6a22f91db4b092cbfb628db9

I can't make massive changes, but certainly can request certain adjustments/features/changes. If anyone has gone through this type of endeavor or if anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way.  My biggest request was wrestling mats fitted wall to wall that don't come up.  I got that done...but am wondering about anything else I should try to make sure is part of the deal?  Just don't want to forget something...we have a long list of course, but would love suggestions.

Thanks!

Not sure what the surface under the mats is, but if it is concrete having a layer of padding under the mats is a huge benefit.  We did that in s room remodel and it makes a world of difference.  That is the only structural advice.  If you are adding any "equipment" I'd suggest looking at Suples Supply (https://suples.com/).  They have some great wrestling specific items.  Some of which need attachments points in the room, others of which can be used "stand alone".

Consider a tarp curtain room divider. Either that remotely drops from the ceiling or a curtain style you can pull from the side. It's out of the way when you don't need it, but gives you the ability to divide the room up as needed. Great option when you need to split the team for teaching skills, covering certain drill situations, and if half the room is needed for a wrestle-off. It blocks the others sides view and a little of the sound, which helps cut down in the distractions that usually occur when splitting the team up.

Also having some type of nearby bloodroom/space with a small clean up sink. Always a nice addition so the kids can get back on the mat faster. Maybe something by the manager/trainer hangout space since they tend to get called on to find the med stuff for the cleanup.

Edited by MattM

Not sure what the surface under the mats is, but if it is concrete having a layer of padding under the mats is a huge benefit.  We did that in s room remodel and it makes a world of difference.  That is the only structural advice.  If you are adding any "equipment" I'd suggest looking at Suples Supply (https://suples.com/).  They have some great wrestling specific items.  Some of which need attachments points in the room, others of which can be used "stand alone".

My college put artificial turf underneath that mats, we could have a section rolled and use the turf for weighted activities that you wouldn't necessarily want on the mats (tires for instance)

Edited by patriotfan

My college put artificial turf underneath that mats, we could have a section rolled and use the turf for weighted activities that you wouldn't necessarily want on the mats (tires for instance)

Man... not sure about that. Wouldn't that turf be funk infested? I know when we move our mats, the bottoms are nasty. Edited by Mattyb

Yeah I dunno about turf but something needs to be down...these mats will never move aside from cleaning under them once every few months as MattyB mentioned no matter how clean you keep the top some Ick gets through 

You might contact Matt Behling @ CMA about the exact material under their mats.  It is some sort of stiff closed cell foam about 2 inches thick.  It really makes the surface more forgiving without changing the fundamental feel of the mats on top.  Those mats do not get moved either, the surface underneath would not be good for other activity.  It just provides an extra level of impact absorption.  When I coached in Colorado we double layered the mats which had the same effect.  Seemed to reduce injuries, but I don't have data to back that up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.