Thoughts on a rule change proposal for 2018

Dave Cloud

Let's shake things up! I would like to hear thoughts on the four-point near fall (four points after a four count to replace the three point near fall). College wrestling seems to be doing well with this. Here are my thoughts: This will speed matches for a several reasons: 1) moves us towards tech falls quicker. 2) would allow a trailing wrestler to get back into a match quicker...more comebacks. 3) more near falls most likely means more falls--most exciting way to end the match! 4) more mat wrestling likely means fewer out of bounds situations with a clock stoppage then the slow walk back to the middle, adjusting gear, assuming starting position, false starts, illegal starting position calls, etc...

The fall is the most exciting part of the sport. This seems, to me, a chance to make a simple change that would make the sport more exciting for fans and more time friendly.

We are past the rules proposal date for the coming season and I don't know if this has been officially proposed but still a good idea to begin discussing to see if a consensus exists.

Dave Cloud

I'd rather have college out of bounds rules.

Agreed although I think having freestyle greco out of bounds rules in folk could make matches very interesting. Obviously will not happen but would keep action on the mat.

Edited by Sydokun

I'm in favor of adopting both rules.  Having reffed a few post-season tournaments that utilized the college out of bounds rule, it was GREAT for continual wrestling!  There are obviously a few mats/situations that would require adjustments to out of bounds calls, but we already work with that currently. 

I hate the 4 pt near fall rule.  Giving them 1 more point for 1 less count. That is big difference to make up.  I know it is just one pt more, but when you think of the scenario of what you would have to do to make up the points, it makes it a lot less doable. I can't stand the college stalling call. Sometimes going out of bounds just happens, but the refs feel forced to call one of the wrestlers for stalling because " its the rule".  I do however think the college out of bounds rule would be a great addition to high school wrestling.  I also would love to see the riding time added.  Just my thoughts, since you asked. 

i like the 4 point near fall, also like college out of bounds. The changes would make things more interesting.

Another benefit, in my opinion, would be that a casual fan could watch a college match and a high school match and not be confused about the differences. The NCAA's had crazy amount of people watching and we are all trying to grow our sport. The fans would understand more, and our kids that want to wrestle at the collegiate level would be prepared for it better.

I think one thing maybe slowing the college out of bounds rule in High School is the amount of space around the circle for some High Schools. Implementing this rule would probably require some schools to purchase new mats to accommodate the rule. This is a cost factor that some schools simply could not afford.

I think one thing maybe slowing the college out of bounds rule in High School is the amount of space around the circle for some High Schools. Implementing this rule would probably require some schools to purchase new mats to accommodate the rule. This is a cost factor that some schools simply could not afford.

In all honesty I think this is easily fixed by putting in the rule book a simple note that the ref has discretion for the safety of the wrestlers.

Four point near fall and the college out of bounds rule would be a step in the right direction. Maybe even the new way stalling is called at the college level when a wrestler goes out of bounds as well.

I would like to see riding time and the bonus point from it be implemented. It is a needed reward for those wrestlers who can contain and control another wrestling by holding them down. 

I would like the 4 pt nearfall and college out of bounds.

Riding time would be great, but I think it would take another volunteer on each mat to run that clock and also most current HS scoreboards that I've seen aren't capable of displaying it so that would be a distraction during the match

I would like the 4 pt nearfall and college out of bounds.

Riding time would be great, but I think it would take another volunteer on each mat to run that clock and also most current HS scoreboards that I've seen aren't capable of displaying it so that would be a distraction during the match

I highly believe that it would be possible to program a riding time clock into the Track system to account for riding time. Hopefully the programmers get on it!

In all honesty I think this is easily fixed by putting in the rule book a simple note that the ref has discretion for the safety of the wrestlers.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the out of bounds rule being less subjective in the first place?

3) more near falls most likely means more falls--most exciting way to end the match!.....

The fall is the most exciting part of the sport. This seems, to me, a chance to make a simple change that would make the sport more exciting for fans and more time friendly.

Dave Cloud

Would the extra near-fall point encourage more people to pin? Or just benefit those that use tilts to their scoring advantage? In my view those that actually go for a pin are trying to get the pin and are not as concerned with any accumulation of nearfall they may receive. Those going for tilts are more concerned with the nearfall point and unless someone obviously falls (sure pun intended) into a pinning combination, they are not even looking for the pin. This is coming from someone who would have loved to have the additional nearfall points from my tilts and turns. Sure it may end matches quicker via techfall, and sure it may encourage someone to try a little more mat wrestling rather than the takedown clinic, but I don't see the move as really increasing the amount of actual pins wrestlers try to get.

Edited by MattM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.