Next Level Success

bluechipper

What contributes to next level success? I've been curious about this subject for a long time. We've seen some of the best in high school, who seem poised for success, fail to live up to standards at the next level (specifically Division I). What's the issue? I've talked to former and current Big Ten wrestlers from IU, and a lot of them say for many, it's coaching practices and rituals. I've heard stories from ridiculous weight cuts to being over-trained and doing hard two-a-days a night before the Big Ten Championships, where as some kids just never seem to get off of the ground. There's always the select few who prosper through the training and come out successful during the postseason at the NCAA tournament. IU has had an All-American (two of those wrestlers weren't Indiana natives) every year since 2014, but is this due to maturity, talent, coaching, a combination of all three, etc.? I'm just not understanding why a lot of our Indiana kids don't succeed as often on the highest level. The future does look bright for us, however. In Division II and Division III with programs like Wabash and UIndy, kids are thriving. I can only remain optimistic for Division I. Lots of talent is coming in, but if someone could please give me something as to why generally our kids don't do well on the Division I level despite their talents, work ethics, etc., I would greatly appreciate it. Really curious to gain some insight.

Division one wrestling is a whole new beast...2-3 workouts a day with classes and the worst kid is probably a top 5 state kid. It's just a major grind and time sink. A lot of the kids that go an fizzle shouldn't have gone D1 in the first place.

Its a reason I chose to go to a d2 school instead of walking at Purdue or IU I could have done that but knew I didn't want to spend 95 percent of my time wrestling or doing academics. Yeah I got a little money to go to Findlay but I still came out owing more than if I went to IU or Purdue so money was def not a key.

Which is another reason some kids wanna go do "the college thing" (parties, etc) in all honesty you can't do that be competitive. at that level.

I personally would like to see more of our kid tier kids go to a d2 or D3 Indiana school. There is no reason we can't have 3 or 4 national championship calibur teams in the lower divisions.

That is one reason Notre Dame college in Ohio is so successful in the D2 tourney they get the kids who are on the bubble for OSU and get them to go D2 and be on a stacked team there.

Just make thoughts and 2 cents I know I kinda rambled but I just put a door in by myself and am a little exhausted lol

Thanks for the insight. You brought to my attention things I previously neglected to mention/ask. Do kids feel obligated to go Division I because of their state championship or high placement(s)? What about the late bloomers who's potential doesn't shine until late? (ex.: Riley Lefever) I can agree that I would like to see more of our best go to Division II programs and thrive rather than fizzling out on the D-I scene. For example, Nick Crume, a state champion and three-time medalist (1, 3, 3) chose to attend the University of Indianapolis, and I believe he's already a three-time All-American. Josh Kieffer, also a multiple-time state runner-up/placer, was a four-time All-American for the Greyhounds. You could argue those guys could have seen success on the Division I level, but could they really? I know another thing that comes to mind is cost. As you mentioned, you owed way more coming out of Findlay than you would've IU or Purdue. A lot of kids try to avoid that it seems, but is it worth it? A 2008 NCAA survey reported Division I athletes on average devote 44.8 hours a week to athletic responsibilities and a little less than 40 hours a week to academics, with about every 2/3 considering themselves athletes first. I know there are coaches out there who say, "Get your school paid for," but if the academic side suffers and you are unhappy, is it at all worth it?

For me it was go to a school that I could be academically successful and be apart of a good program. The Academics came first Findlay is a tiny school which I needed as that environment was conducive to me not failing out lol.

Those guys would have had success at the D1 level maybe a one or 2 time aa. At D2 they have a shot to.win a national title...Some will scoff at it being D2 but who cares.

Most of these kids this is their last hurrah to go compete as they arnt going to go and jump in to the senior levels as they want to get out start a family and live life so go where you're comfortable and go where you can get a degree there is no need to go D1 unless your goal.os to be a D1 national champ or olympic champ.

Again my 2 cents from my own personal experience

I know Kyle looked at 5 plus colleges ranging from D1, D2, D3, & NAIA. About an hour on campus, he had made up his mind. Took another 2 months to think things out, but kept coming back to Wabash! These young men need to look till they find something that suits them on and off the mat! Then spend a visit, a weekend, and whatever else it takes to make sure it's a fit no matter the level!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.