March 24 IHSAA Minutes

Y2CJ41

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about%20ihsaa/minutes/2016-17/032417.pdf

Includes the realignment and these tidbits

Wrestling Coaches Rules Proposals

J.D. Minch, Executive Director of the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association, President Tyson Skinner of Madison Consolidated HS and Vice President Greg Ratliff of Edgewood HS presented the following proposals:

• Move from a mandatory 4‐dual schedule to a mandatory 6‐dual schedule where a school may choose to have 2‐ triangular meets count as 4 of their 6 duals.
  • Allow an alternative uniform of a compression shirt and fight short instead of a singlet as a uniform option.
  • Use a bracket to determine a true third place at semi‐state just like the bracket used as sectional.  
  • Keep tourney scoring uniform at all levels and all advancement and bonus points on Friday night.
  • Utilize the TrackWrestling.com feature already available to use a video challenge like is used in college.
  • Look to create a classed team state tournament sanctioned by the IHSAA.

The Executive Committee did not rule on any of these proposals but will consider them at the May 1 meeting

I will say that overall my dealings with the IHSAA has been very positive.  I like to think they feel the same about the IHSWCA now.  I think overall the proposals were well recieved and after reviewing the Sectional realignment that was handed to us, there are some things that still need to be worked on the next time we realign.  I think several of the proposals have a shot to be passed and there was alot of good convo in the room about our ideas.  I even got a chuckle out of Mr Cox when he asked me if the "use a true third place bracket" was a new way to say wrestlebacks.  My response was "I never said wrestlebacks"  I like the direction the High School wrestling is going in the State of Indiana.  Is it perfect no but I feel it is going in the right direction and I appreciate the open door the IHSAA has given the coaches association.  I think 1, 2 and 4 have solid shots to be passed and I think the others had good discussions for future proposals. 

When discussing the use of the same bracket we use at Sectionals at Semi-State I mentioned this would add four matches per weight but a option that can be examined if those four matches are a deal breaker could be looking at going back to only advancing 3 from regionals to semi-state thus removing those 4 extra matches the true third bracket would bring.

I will say that overall my dealings with the IHSAA has been very positive.  I like to think they feel the same about the IHSWCA now.  I think overall the proposals were well recieved and after reviewing the Sectional realignment that was handed to us, there are some things that still need to be worked on the next time we realign.  I think several of the proposals have a shot to be passed and there was alot of good convo in the room about our ideas.  I even got a chuckle out of Mr Cox when he asked me if the "use a true third place bracket" was a new way to say wrestlebacks.  My response was "I never said wrestlebacks"  I like the direction the High School wrestling is going in the State of Indiana.  Is it perfect no but I feel it is going in the right direction and I appreciate the open door the IHSAA has given the coaches association.  I think 1, 2 and 4 have solid shots to be passed and I think the others had good discussions for future proposals. 

When discussing the use of the same bracket we use at Sectionals at Semi-State I mentioned this would add four matches per weight but a option that can be examined if those four matches are a deal breaker could be looking at going back to only advancing 3 from regionals to semi-state thus removing those 4 extra matches the true third bracket would bring.

What about the use of using the Sectional bracket at Regionals? You're either going to have 1 or 3 matches that day, so another 1 or 2 really couldn't hurt you on time, especially if it would make sure the best out of that Regional move on.

I would say the top 2 and the tournament scoring have a realistic shot the others are dead in the water...

although I thought they did that last year and then changed their mind at state so who knows....

Yep. Sure would be like Christmas come early if number 3 could go through.

When will the next time be?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.