Nick Lee

Alduflux

He has been part of the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club this year. Obviously this is associated with the school. He is interested in and preparing himself to enter the starting lineup next year. Speculation has been maybe at 141 to replace Gulibon if he can maintain that weight. But in the end it's going to depend what Coach Sandersons long term plan is.

Edited by MattM

I am curious to see if he redshirts next year or not...

He would fit right into the lineup next year and looks to be a top 10 kid right away.  I can't imagine how much better he'll get practicing with Penn State kids.,.especially, Zain Retherford.

What does that mean? Has he been coached by Cael and wrestling with the varsity in the room?

As to not say the wrong thing, someone else will have to speak on the exact NCAA guidelines on how these University associated wrestling clubs works.

What does that mean?  Has he been coached by Cael and wrestling with the varsity in the room?

My understanding is that the club does NOT practice with the "Penn State Team" at all.  At least during certain portions of the season per NCAA guidelines.  It is likely that members of the 'staff' do run club practices etc....  I would imagine in the off season, when many of the college athletes are competing for the club in freestyle, then the guidelines change.

Who else is excited about another Red vs. Lee match up? Could it happen? What weight is Red projected to wrestle at?

They had him penciled in at 141. Not sure if that may change with the lineup shuffling that sometimes occurs during the off season.

He did not enroll in January.  He did graduate early from MD.  He wrestled open tournaments and works out with the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club, Frank Molinaro, David Taylor, etc.  How much that mixes with current Penn St wrestlers, I have no idea.  I'd guess he couldn't participate in team practices but if those guys came in for extra workouts on their own, anything is possible?  Just a guess.  

The sentiment from PSU (message boards) is that he'll step into 141 next year to replace Jimmy Gulibon and possibly move up to eventually replace Zain Retherford at 149.  They have Cortez, who was injured this year at 133.  They also have Kade Moss at 141 who was also hurt this year and could threaten to take 141.  It's always possible they could decide to RS him.  But the thinking is going up early minimizes that chance.  

Lastly, and this is total conjecture on my part, I think there is a plan in place to get him experience in '17-'18 & '18-'19 so he can take a redshirt the following year to make a run at the 2020 Olympics.  Of course, he has to win his spot and perform, both for PSU and in Freestyle.  Does that make sense with the Olympic Trials calendar?

I look forward to seeing what kind of schedule he wrestles this summer.  The US Open is coming up.  Is he eligible for that?  

Lastly, and this is total conjecture on my part, I think there is a plan in place to get him experience in '17-'18 & '18-'19 so he can take a redshirt the following year to make a run at the 2020 Olympics.  Of course, he has to win his spot and perform, both for PSU and in Freestyle.  Does that make sense with the Olympic Trials calendar?

I think this could be a strong possibility.  I think he has his eyes on an Olympic prize.

Penn state just stole one of the top recruits in the country, 3x PA champ Gavin Teasdale, from Iowa. He'll likely go 133. Their lineup has the potential to be one of the best ever over the next couple years.

125 suriano

133 teasdale (if no redshirt)

141 lee

149 ?

157 nolf

165 joseph

174 hall

184 nickal

197 ?

Heavy nevills

They will only lose Retherford and McCutcheon after next year. This is just not fair to be that young and stacked.

Edited by greco165

Teasdale is just a Junior this year so he won't be in the Happy Valley lineup for a little while longer. But yes the talent PSU will have over the next several years is a little ridiculous.

Success breeds success.  The only thing stopping a top recruit from going to Penn State is not fitting the mold of what Penn State expects beyond wrestling talent.  Other programs are going to have to start taking guys who know they won't break the Penn State line-up and then developing them...

Success breeds success. The only thing stopping a top recruit from going to Penn State is not fitting the mold of what Penn State expects beyond wrestling talent...

That and all of their athletic and university allotted academic scholarship money being tied up with other wrestlers for the next several years. Paying your own way and possibly not even being a starter for your first few years would turn a few top guys away. Edited by MattM

Don't forget that the #8 pound for pound wrestler in the nation (Brady Berge) from MN has also commited to PSU.  He wrestled 160 in HS and expected to wrestle 149 in college.  Nick Lee is #6, so that is 2 top 10 seniors.  I was surprised it wasn't more, however I am sure they are running out of money to give each kid so they won't be able to guarantee full rides to all the top recruits.

Penn state just stole one of the top recruits in the country, 3x PA champ Gavin Teasdale, from Iowa. He'll likely go 133. Their lineup has the potential to be one of the best ever over the next couple years.

125 suriano

133 teasdale (if no redshirt)

141 lee

149 ?

157 nolf

165 joseph

174 hall

184 nickal

197 ?

Heavy nevills

They will only lose Retherford and McCutcheon after next year. This is just not fair to be that young and stacked.

125 suriano

133 Cortez

141 nick lee

149 zain

157 nolf

165 Joseph

174 hall

184 nickel

285 Nevills

pretty tough

That and all of their athletic and university allotted academic scholarship money being tied up with other wrestlers for the next several years. Paying your own way and possibly not even being a starter for your first few years would turn a few top guys away.

True, that's where other schools have to step up.  One of the interesting things about wrestling recruiting is getting guys at the right weight.  If there is a stack-up at Penn State, then some top guys will end up elsewhere over the next couple of years

That and all of their athletic and university allotted academic scholarship money being tied up with other wrestlers for the next several years. Paying your own way and possibly not even being a starter for your first few years would turn a few top guys away.

I'd be willing to bet that very few of the PSU wrestlers have full ride scholarships JUST through wrestling.  Things like academic scholarships, grants, financial aid, allow the scholarships to be broken up but still give each kid a free education.

125 suriano

133 Cortez

141 nick lee

149 zain

157 nolf

165 Joseph

174 hall

184 nickel

285 Nevills

pretty tough

I was thinking about year after next, when Zain/McCutcheon are gone and Teasdale would be in the lineup assuming he doesn't redshirt.  Next year McCutcheon would likely slot in at 197 again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.