NCAA Division I updates!

maligned

Wow, Hudkins with a very strong showing in controlling #11 Terao...into the final 16. Fantastic true freshman season already and now 2 wins away from AA.

Micic now ready to wrestle on Mat 4 in an amazing quarterfinal rematch of a heartstopping regular season matchup against Clark

Micic falls 6-4 to Clark. He'll need to win his consolation match tonight to ensure AA status.

With Hudkins' win, by the way, he moves on to face Akins of Buffalo, a fellow unranked guy from the MAC. If he wins, he would have #8 Picchinini from Oklahoma State in the AA round.

Edited by maligned

Hudkins loses a tight 7-5 decision. Amazing run for Hudkins. He didn't earn a quota spot for the MAC a couple weeks ago, meaning he was judged to be outside the top 33. Then he goes into MACs as the 7 seed, beats two nationally ranked guys, and finishes 3rd. That's enough to put him in the rankings nationally on some services. Then this weekend he gets 3 NCAA tournament wins, including beating AA #11 Terao, and advances to the blood round as the last unseeded guy at 125 before nearly upsetting #8 Piccinini and finally falling. Again...amazing run.

including beating AA #11 Terao

Are you sure your not thinking of his brother David that graduated after placing 4th last year? Josh if tough and it's a good win for Huskies, but I'm not sure that Terao has AAed yet.

Edited by MattM

Are you sure your not thinking of his brother David that graduated after placing 4th last year? Josh if tough and it's a good win for Huskies, but I'm not sure that Terao has AAed yet.

You're right...I heard someone say he was an AA but didn't look it up myself.

Hughes on Mat 1 right now vs #5 Walsh

Hughes falls 4-2 and comes up one win short of AA status

I have to ask this question because I can't come up with a good answer.  Strategically, why would Hughes ride a guy out to the end of the match when down 4-0?  He never came close to turning him, so he ends up getting one stall point and RT.  At some point, why not cut him or do something different?  I understand Drew is good on top, but if you can't turn a guy, it's not going to help when you're down 4.  Shouldn't there be coaches advising him?

I have to ask this question because I can't come up with a good answer. Strategically, why would Hughes ride a guy out to the end of the match when down 4-0? He never came close to turning him, so he ends up getting one stall point and RT. At some point, why not cut him or do something different? I understand Drew is good on top, but if you can't turn a guy, it's not going to help when you're down 4. Shouldn't there be coaches advising him?

At Big10s he rode a guy for almost 2 full periods before he finally turned them with short time left in the 3rd. Maybe he was hoping for more of the same. Get a stalling, riding time, and then a late turn to tie it up or win. He's has some trouble getting takedowns against some of the better guys so trying to get a 5 pointer may not have been something he was confident in. I'm assuming a year or two more in the room and he will have a solid takedown to help make him a big enough threat that opponents will have to think twice on their period choice. Edited by MattM

At Big10s he rode a guy for almost 2 full periods before he finally turned them with short time left in the 3rd. Maybe he was hoping for more of the same. Get a stalling, riding time, and then a late turn to tie it up or win. He's has some trouble getting takedowns against some of the better guys so trying to get a 5 pointer may not have been something he was confident in. I'm assuming a year or two more in the room and he will have a solid takedown to help make him a big enough threat that opponents will have to think twice on their period choice.

Exactly. He's a beast on top and turns lots of guys. Even with a minute to go, it seemed the best strategy to keep trying because it seemed a stretch to imagine he could take such a tough feet wrestler down several times or take him down to his back. By far the best bet seemed going for the 4-point turn even down to the end. It's a shame he gave up that literally last-second reversal in the 2nd. It felt fully related to the struggle the official was having with getting a fair restart with good position and no false starts. Walsh's last re-start with 10 seconds left was a "rolling" start that gave him enough space to wriggle free from Hughes, who seemed to hesitate not wanting to get another caution. Hughes would have been down only 2-0 and would have possibly tied it up in the third 2-2 with a stall point and riding time (or had a better shot at a turn with Walsh probably forced to work a little harder to get out). 

Not quite as great a showing for Indiana boys as we might expect, buuuuut next year is looking pretty bright imo.

Micic, Hudkins, Hughes, Sliga, Steveson and Zack Davis will all be back with another year of experience, and throw in Tsirtsis making his return. Add Chad Red and Nick Lee and I guarantee we get more than 1 AA next year.

Not quite as great a showing for Indiana boys as we might expect, buuuuut next year is looking pretty bright imo.

Micic, Hudkins, Hughes, Sliga, Steveson and Zack Davis will all be back with another year of experience, and throw in Tsirtsis making his return. Add Chad Red and Nick Lee and I guarantee we get more than 1 AA next year.

Although Lee could redshirt. It will be an interesting season for sure.

Streck, Rypel

What about a guy like Brandon James?

With that being said, what is Tsirtsis projected weight, will he be 149 along with Retherford. If so, how do you think he fairs against possibly the most dominant wrestler in college.

Tsirtsis, like pretty much everyone else, has struggled against Retherford. He wrestled 157 competing unattached this year, so he might have to worry more about Nolf than Ztrain

He didn't look so fit at that weight, though. We'll see where he ends up. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.