Play What If

oldfat119

What if... We had a big man super bracket? Consisting of Gelen Robinson, Wes Bernard, Donte Winfield, Chico Adams, Frank Hammond, Dexter Larimore, Adam Chalfant, Shawn Streck, Mason Parris, DJ Radnovich, Chad Ruggeri, and former Indiana kid, Gable Steveson... Who would come out on top?

How are they seeded?

How are they seeded?

I don't know much about a few of these guys, so it's a mix of facts, placements, losses, and slight opinion.

Gable - World Champ, 3x State Champ

Chad - Dexter Larimore's last loss

Dexter - Dominant heavy, pinned Chico in a cradle, 3x finalist, 1x champ

Frank Hammond - Dominant heavy, 1x Champ, 1x finalist

DJ Radnovich - Dominant 215 in his era, considered one of the best ever

Chico - 2x champ, 112-0 in last two seasons mentored Wes and Donte both, L'd Chalfant

Chalfant - L'd by Chico, champ the next year, NCAA AA

Donte - L'd Wes, Streck, and Gelen, State Champ, Fargo Runner-Up

Wes - L'd Donte, Streck, State Champ, Fargo 4th

Gelen Robinson - L'd Streck, 2x champ

Streck - 2x Champ, National #2, 2x Fargo AA

Mason - Dominant 2x Champ, National #3

Don't eat me alive on this one. I know arguments could be made with Mason, Gelen, Radnovich, and Chalfant, but I tried to use placements and who wrestled who for the most part along with what the people have said consistently.

I knew the match happened when they were frosh, but a senior match might have gone different. 

It's worth noting that Hump had a somewhat later start at wrestling compared to the average Indiana stud.  Jim let him come into it on his own, so Reece really didn't get going until middle school.  I would think that late start would mean he was still in the early stages of his wrestling potential  as a freshman and his skillset still had plenty of room to grow even compared to the normal HS wrestlers career progress.  Not sure who would have won the match, but I'd say the outcome would be much closer than what we saw that freshman year. 

I don't know much about a few of these guys, so it's a mix of facts, placements, losses, and slight opinion.

Gable - World Champ, 3x State Champ

Dexter - Dominant heavy, pinned Chico in a cradle, 3x finalist, 1x champ

Frank Hammond - Dominant heavy, 1x Champ, 1x finalist

DJ Radnovich - Dominant 215 in his era, considered one of the best ever

Chico - 2x champ, 112-0 in last two seasons mentored Wes and Donte both, L'd Chalfant

Chalfant - L'd by Chico, champ the next year, NCAA AA

Donte - L'd Wes, Streck, and Gelen, State Champ, Fargo Runner-Up

Wes - L'd Donte, Streck, State Champ, Fargo 4th

Gelen Robinson - L'd Streck, 2x champ

Streck - 2x Champ, National #2, 2x Fargo AA

Mason - Dominant 2x Champ, National #3

Don't eat me alive on this one. I know arguments could be made with Mason, Gelen, Radnovich, and Chalfant, but I tried to use placements and who wrestled who for the most part along with what the people have said consistently.

Andy Schneider should definitely be in this conversation. 

Hey ... there's another big man who should probably be in this conversation everyone's forgotten... how about Greg Wagner from Fort Wayne Snider?  He was a tough dude!

Since Bluechipper started this thing with the Stevenson's at Merrillville... how about staying "in house" for one... Stevensons vs. Strecks?    Who's varsity, and who's riding the pine?   LOL!

Edited by HolsteinKing

That match happened. Probably would have been a closer match as seniors, but not sure Humphrey would have closed the gap that much.

112 Pounds First Round Results Angel Escobedo (55-0), freshman, Griffith def. Reece Humphrey (17-5), freshman, Lawrence North, decision, 13-5.

Reece should have been down a weight class but not sure he could have beaten his teammate that was state champ that year, I believe. I think his name was Hartman?

Edited by RASSLER4LIFE

???  Are you referring to Chad Ruggeri?  That was Dexter's sophomore year.  Dex lost several times his Jr year, (both to Kasten I believe).

I would put Dexter as a SR ahead of Ruggeri by a large margin, although Ruggeri is one of the most exciting heavies to watch.

Andy Schneider should definitely be in this conversation. 

My thoughts exactly.  

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.