IHSAA Rule

BEM77

Rules question: Can a high school wrestler participate in a wrestling club or academy (i.e. CIA, Contenders, Red Cobra) during the season without participating in any outside, unsanctioned wrestling tournament or event and still be in compliance with IHSAA rules?

My assumption is that high school wrestlers are barred from attending any outside wrestling events or academies period. Another coach I spoke with seemed to disagree..  

Two questions, three answers

IHSAA By-Laws
http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about%20ihsaa/2016-17%20By-Laws.pdf

1.  Can a high school wrestler participate in a wrestling club or academy (i.e. CIA, Contenders, Red Cobra) during the season?
Yes they can as long as they are NOT wrestling athletes from other schools.

Rule 15 Participation
b. Student-athletes may receive a Lesson so long as:
(1.) it is not mandated, scheduled or paid for by the School;
(2.) no School practices or competitions are missed; and
(3.) no member of the School’s coaching staff who provides a Lesson is compensated for the Lesson beyond the compensation the coach earns from the School

2.  Can a high school wrestler participate in a non-school event during the season?
Yes and no. They will need to get a waiver from the IHSAA.

Participation of students in an organized athletic competition with or against athletes not belonging to their School counts as One (1) of Contests for that season for that student.
An organized “scrimmage” or practice with or against athletes not belonging to their School counts as One (1) of Contests for that season for that student. The following situations are not considered a violation of this rule:
(1.) When a School does not have a team, individual students may practice with another 
Rule 15 - Participation 53 member School’s team under the supervision of the other member School’s coach provided a written agreement, signed by both principals, is on fi le in the IHSAA office. Students may only compete in Contests representing the School they are attending;
(2.) Student-athletes may practice in the same facility with athletes from other schools so long as they are doing their own workout under the direct supervision and instruction of their own coach; or 

(3.) A student-athlete may work out on their own in the presence of other athletes so long as the other athletes have not yet reached the ninth grade.

Two questions, three answers

IHSAA By-Laws

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about%20ihsaa/2016-17%20By-Laws.pdf

1.  Can a high school wrestler participate in a wrestling club or academy (i.e. CIA, Contenders, Red Cobra) during the season?

Yes they can as long as they are NOT wrestling athletes from other schools.

Rule 15 Participation

b. Student-athletes may receive a Lesson so long as:

(1.) it is not mandated, scheduled or paid for by the School;

(2.) no School practices or competitions are missed; and

(3.) no member of the School’s coaching staff who provides a Lesson is compensated for the Lesson beyond the compensation the coach earns from the School

i.e. a "Private Lesson" with an outside academy coach would be fine, but attending a regular academy practice with other schools wrestlers would not be.  Most Academy/Club coaches should be aware of this and hopefully steering wrestlers clear of any rules violation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.