Spenser lee goes down in PA

ontherise219

The kid that beat him is also ranked # 4 nationally so it's not like he lost to a nobody. I did think Desanto had a better gas tank and pushed the pace in this match.

If Lee indeed hasn't really practiced for the last month I would think Desanto's gas tank would be a great asset to him in the match. He seemed to have a great game plan for attacking Lee and keeping him at bay which allows for the chance to win at the end. From what I've read he was just running through kids all weekend.

Tweets from his dad said he was confirmed to have a torn ACL 5-6 weeks ago and hasn't practiced since. Somehow a doc cleared him. Seems insane that a kid with olympic aspirations and world aspirations even as soon as next year would be allowed by his older, wiser crew to wrestle in this event.

Agree as he had nothing to gain by wrestling in the event. Already signed with Iowa and # 1 pound for pound ranking. Though this in no way tarnishes his career. 2 studs that will battle in the NCAA's in years to come.

Edited by RASSLER4LIFE

This also means he will be out for the match against Daton Fix at the Dapper Dan.

I know a 138lber currently in the Pennsylvania area named Lee that Fix could face if he'd wrestle up a weight. Edited by MattM

In a big match like that I can understand, Lee did not really attempt to come up with the foot or drag him back in, but to me it was still a flee.  He didn't attempt to stay in or come back into Lee after kicking towards out of bounds several times.  I loved the gas tank and physical wrestling that Desanto showed.  Once Lee is healthy, I think he will make it up to Desanto with bonus points.

I also thought fleeing should have been called in the first. 

Great match - was really impressed with DeSanto's gas tank in the 3rd. Lee looked gas and tried to slow the match down (i.e. tying his shoes, fixing knee pad, walking slow back to the center of the match, etc.). I applaud Lee for wrestling through an injury and embracing the competition. I hope he recovers well and has a healthy 4 years for the Hawkeyes. Nothing against Drexel (DeSanto's college choice) but I feel that Lee has a better room for growth if it is a good fit. Regardless, it would be nice to see a rematch at full health. Would it be competitive or more like their matchup a year ago which ended 15-0 in favor of Lee?

Regarding the injury, I would like to mention the following.  I'm not familiar with Lee's individually specific injury but it is not uncommon to have an injury that will not endure further damage from additional activity.  It is potential medically accurate to tell the kid that if he can handle whatever pain he has, then he is free to do as he wants.  It doesn't mean Lee was 100% but it also doesn't mean anyone was negligent in advising him that it is fine/safe to continue wrestling.

Yep.  I broke my hand in the sectional semi-finals my junior year.  Defaulted the championship and qualified for regional.  Doctor told me I "would probably lose" but if I could take the pain I could wrestle.  Thanks, Doc!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.