Riley Lefever 4x DIII National Champion

MattM

As many of you know, I have been in the corner for many Lefever matches. I made the trip to Lacrosse to witness history. It is a surreal feeling seeing Riley accomplish this feat that very few at any level have every achieved. 

The Lefever family came into my life about 10 years ago when the twins came to a camp at Garrett. Since then I have traveled all over the country to coach and watch these kids wrestle. Just to type that I am proud of these three guys doesn't do them justice. They are extreme competitors on the mat, but as Gregg Doyel stated, when they step on the mat they flip the switch. These three are the types of kids you'd want your daughter to marry. It starts with great parents and a great support system at home. Congrats not only to the Lefever family, but the Wabash family, the Carroll Charger family, but even beyond that the Indiana wrestling family. This is something as wrestling fans that we can be immensely proud of.

Thanks for the great ride Lefevers, the stories, the trips, the fun times will always be something I cherish. I thank you guys for letting me be a part of the process and trusting me with your sons. It was a great ride and these are the types of people that make coaching so worthwhile.

Congratulations to Riley, really enjoyed that interview. He just won his 4th title in dominating fashion & continuously talks about his teammates & coaches. I got the impression he was more proud of helping his team secure 3rd place than he was of his own individual Championship, very humble, thanks for sharing.

He really didn't get any looks from DI schools until....late July after he graduated and placed 2nd at Fargo. Remember he was only a one-time state qualifier, lost in the ticket round his junior year.

He was a late bloomer, went from 125 to 145 to 160 to 170 in high school and matured physically....a LOT! He is young for his grade, still only 21 and won't be 22 until May.It didn't hurt that his brothers were at Wabash either.

As  you all know Riley is pretty good at wrestling.  But I have to tell you all of something i witnessed after the the event was over that tells more about this MAN!!.  After the event was over and the parents, coaches, & team were all celebrating with the 3rd Place team trophy at a near by restaurant.  I walked back to where I had been sitting with my youngest son Easton (Owen's brother).  As i approach the table, here is Easton (age 10) and Riley in a full conversation.  What other 4X NCAA champ sits with a 10 year old after he just made NCAA Wrestling history and talks about how Easton has been doing in his matches and asking how proud he was of his older brother being an All-American?  This man is truly one of a kind not only on the mat but in his everyday life.  Every event that we had went to this year to watch Owen and the Wabash team, Easton was in constant wrestling mode with one of the Lefever boys, wrestling around and fending for his life.  It is a year that Easton or the whole Doster family will never forget.  Wabash wrestling is about academics & team!!  Wabash was the best decision our son made and the state of Indiana has a GEM in Wabash College.  #WAF #onevision

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.