Rank MD best 1-5, or 10 if you know MD, honorable mention if need be

Jayruss

Since the 2 eldest Lee's just wrapped up their careers at MD what is your top 5-10 in order? For me it's 1. N Lee (off talent alone and not state placement. 2. Mauer (never thought anyone at MD would surpass him in my eyes, almost feels like blasphemy) 3. Matt Coughlin ( was partying and drinking at IU and once told Matt that I thought he was more dominant his senior year than Mauer, and the look in his eyes was like dude you are nuts. And was torn with this pick and Joe Lee, very close. 4 Joe Lee( uber talented and could be ranked higher off talent. 5 Greg Schaefer( was fortunate enough to watch his frosh state championship as well as his senior year) was a living god on the west side growing up. Met him when I was a kid and was starstruck and he was humble as can be. My honorable mention list could go on forever with Macke, Nosko, Weinzapfel etc

I wouldn't change the top 5, but possibly the order.

#4 is definitely low for Joe Lee IMO. I don't remember seeing any MD wrestler look more dominating than he has these past 2 years.

I understand why you have Nick Lee ranked #1, but I would have to put Blake there. If for no other reason because Nick chose not to wrestle his senior year. I'm not trying to knock the Lee's for their decision, but we are talking greatest MD wrestler ever & to put a 1X State Champ who decided to forego his senior season for personal reasons ahead of Blake...

From my 30+ years watching MD wrestling.  Only State Champs made the list

1. Maurer

2. Nick Lee (if he would have wrestled his sr year he would have been my #1)

3. Joe Lee

4. Coughlin

5. Schaefer

6. Craig Weinzapfel

7. Chip Elderkin

8. Gabe Zirkelbach

9. Brett Schnur

10. Dustin Nosko

HM:  Buzz Mieras, Matt Armentano, Nick Mayer, Sam Wilderman

Edited by MD92

I wouldn't change the top 5, but possibly the order.

#4 is definitely low for Joe Lee IMO. I don't remember seeing any MD wrestler look more dominating than he has these past 2 years.

I understand why you have Nick Lee ranked #1, but I would have to put Blake there. If for no other reason because Nick chose not to wrestle his senior year. I'm not trying to knock the Lee's for their decision, but we are talking greatest MD wrestler ever & to put a 1X State Champ who decided to forego his senior season for personal reasons ahead of Blake...

Didn't Joe Lee lose twice last year? Don't know if you could be so dominant and had lost twice.

Not a criticism of him, just a thought

Didn't Joe Lee lose twice last year? Don't know if you could be so dominant and had lost twice.

Not a criticism of him, just a thought

Who did he lose to?

I thought you said this year. He looked awfully dominate in last years state tournament.

Edited by SIACfan

Timberman and Bethel

Thanks!

Maybe my memory is skewed by how dominate he was this year.

From my 30+ years watching MD wrestling.  Only State Champs made the list

1. Maurer

3. Joe Lee

4. Coughlin

5. Schaefer

6. Craig Weinzapfel

7. Chip Elderkin

8. Gabe Zirkelbach

9. Brett Schnur

10. Dustin Nosko

HM:  Buzz Mieras, Matt Armentano, Nick Mayer, Sam Wilderman

I concur with this top 5. Not familiar enough with MD wrestling to give an educated opinion on the rest.

Come to think of it, I'm not qualified to give an educated opinion on anything.

I'll go the full monty here....  

1. Blake Maurer - understand the OP's thoughts, but can't pass on a 4x er

2. Nick Lee

3. Matt Coughlin - 2x Champ, 2x 2nd Place - gets the nod over Joe Lee with 4 full years

4. Joe Lee

5. Greg Schaefer - 2x Champ, 2nd and 5th Places

6. Craig Weinzapfel - 2x Champ, 3rd Place.  He lost to Alex Tsirtsis 8-6 in the Semis in 2002.  Didn't see the match, but how many matches did Tsirtsis have this close?  Both Tsirtsis and Weinzapfel dominated their other State matches that year.  I can't see that he wrestled varsity his freshman year.  Was he hurt or just didn't beat out Macke or Ausbrooks?  Would be interesting to see what a 4th year could have brought?

7. Chip Elderkin - 4x Qualifier 1x Champ 4th Place

8. Dustin Nosko - 4x Qualifier 3x Placer 1x Champ, 3rd and 8 Places (could easily make an argument to switch him with Elderkin)

9 & 10. TIE

a. Gabe Zirklebach - 2x Qualifier 1x Champ, 4th Place

b. Nick Mayer - 2x Qualifier 1x Champ, 6th Place.

Non Champs - At least 3x Qualifiers, at least 2x Placers with at least 2 placements of 4th or better

a. Craig Macke - 4x Qualifier 4x Placer - 4th, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd Places

b. John Sims - 4x Qualifier 4x Placer -  6th, 4th, 5th and 2nd Places

c. Kevin Head - 3x Qualifier 3x Placer - 2nd, 4th and 3rd Places

d. Drew Lappe - 3x Qualifier 2x Placer - 3rd and 3rd Places

e. Mike Happe - 3x Qualifier 2x Placer - 4th and 2nd Places

Note: They have several 1x Champs and others that were multiple time placers, some may have been better wrestlers, but it's splitting hairs at that point.

Best Family

MD has been blessed with several families who have produced great wrestlers over the years.  Currently the Lee family fits in that category.  But I give the nod here to the Boots family.  Not sure of the exact familial connections (cousins, brothers, dads and sons, etc) but I'm pretty sure they are all related.  Here is a quick list of Placers from the Boots family:

Gerald - 4th in 1972

Larry - SQ in 1980

Tim - Champ in 1980

Vince - SQ in 1981

Vince - SQ in 1983

Brandon - 5th in 1996

Josh - 4th in 2010

Josh - 4th in 2011

Michael lost to Garrison Lee in the ticket round this year as a junior.  Has one more chance to make it 7 different Boots to qualify

Edited by SWINfan

I believe Weinzapfel had Tsirtsis on his back for a second in the semi-finals of state that year.  I remember wrestling Weinzy at a freestyle tournament when I first started wrestling...he pinned me in about 5 seconds while twisting me up like a pancake.  Only match in history where I had physical pain from being manhandled so easily lol.  

I'll take Coughlin over Nick Lee.  Coughlin won state twice and placed 2nd twice compared to Nick getting 1 champ and 1 runner up.  

I really like the Top 5 Jayruss put out. But like most top lists we try to make, the order is really a judgement call based on the way you look at their resume.  

Indiana HS season accomplishments

vs. career accomplishments (including college and national events)

vs. future potential (in the Lee's cases) 

Edited by MattM

From my 30+ years watching MD wrestling. Only State Champs made the list

1. Maurer

3. Joe Lee

4. Coughlin

5. Schaefer

6. Craig Weinzapfel

7. Chip Elderkin

8. Gabe Zirkelbach

9. Brett Schnur

10. Dustin Nosko

HM: Buzz Mieras, Matt Armentano, Nick Mayer, Sam Wilderman

From my 30+ years watching MD wrestling. Only State Champs made the list

1. Maurer

3. Joe Lee

4. Coughlin

5. Schaefer

6. Craig Weinzapfel

7. Chip Elderkin

8. Gabe Zirkelbach

9. Brett Schnur

10. Dustin Nosko

HM: Buzz Mieras, Matt Armentano, Nick Mayer, Sam Wilderman

great list

Surprised to see Dan Jankowski not get any love on here. I would put him ahead of some state champs.

I was a huge Jankowski fan, smooth as silk. Super technical and got the most out of his physical gifts

I was a huge Jankowski fan, smooth as silk. Super technical and got the most out of his physical gifts

I remember being in the toughest bracket in my life in freestyle.

Jankowski

Greg shaefer

Dustin Davis

Cory cook

Nathan challis

Vinny vaccaro

Josh Stith

Corey Williams

Cassidy Wilson

And several I'm missing I'm sure.

Only time in my life I ever was proud of a 5th place state finish lmao

I remember being in the toughest bracket in my life in freestyle.

Jankowski

Greg shaefer

Dustin Davis

Cory cook

Nathan challis

Vinny vaccaro

Josh Stith

Corey Williams

Cassidy Wilson

And several I'm missing I'm sure.

Only time in my life I ever was proud of a 5th place state finish lmao

do you remember 1-4? Yea that was murderers row for sure

Pretty sure it was

Shaefer

Jankowski

Davis

Cook( he threw me in a left handed headlock. Best one I ever remember)

that wasn't the one at Indianapolis Tech was it ? I was there for that freestyle state. Also saw a super young angel escobedo there and remembered telling my mom that he would become one of the all time greats in Indiana. He was that good even as a pup

Pretty sure it was

Shaefer

Jankowski

Davis

Cook( he threw me in a left handed headlock. Best one I ever remember)

Cooks snap down was NASTY as well...he would come practice with us after he graduated and he treated my head like the Harlem Globe trotters bouncing it off the mat repeatedly lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.