Scholastic Duals

base

April 6-8 at Wabash College

Based on Twitter traffic -- are they limiting Indiana to only 2 teams this year or what is going on?  Sounds like the Gorillas are possibly not being allowed to field a team or possibly Indiana is forcing their wrestlers of choice to participate on the "official" squads?

Anyone have a list of Indiana participants?

Where to begin...

It seems a "Hall of Fame" coach got his panties in a bunch when the top kids didn't care to be coached by him. He really enjoyed overcharging the kids and providing next to no supervision of the athletes. Then he really enjoyed the hob nobbing like he was something special when he "coached" the kids to a "national" title. When some competition came along that offered the same exact event with potentially better gear(kids love cool gear), a fun time, and for about half the price his gig was up. 

So the "Hall of Fame" coach got with his buddy who disguised himself as an NWCA representative and made an executive order to dismiss the Gorillas based on some shoddy evidence. It's no surprise this is the same person who has run a once very prestigious event directly into the ground. Note that Indiana is the ONLY state with "rules" on entering teams, no other state has any regulations other than pay and you're in.

This is the same event that allows teams to be comprised of wrestlers from different states. They also allow kids to be on two different teams and WRESTLE for two different teams in the event. There are also middle school kids that participate on state teams that do not allow middle school wrestlers to be varsity. Basically, rules for this event are made up on the spot and change every year.

I have contacted the NWCA to see why they are sponsoring and event that has little to no organization and makes up rules as they go. Even though USAW has their name on the event it seems as if they have no affiliation with the event or the organizer.

Lastly, if you are sending a kid with the IHSWCA teams be aware of very relaxed supervision. Last year a large group of IHSWCA wrestlers were seen at the Gorilla hotel both nights with water guns. The year before a group came over to the Gorilla hotel and walked into a room and stole a bag with singlet, shoes, headgear, and other gear. Luckily our kid got his stuff back and the kids involved with the theft were not punished.

1. Will the 2 officially sanctioned teams (Indiana Gold/Blue) be the only Indiana teams allowed?

2. Are the Gorillas the only team being barred from participating?

3. How are wrestlers selected for the various teams?  Are wrestlers/parents allowed to choose which team they will be a part of, or will the top wrestlers *only* be allowed to participate on the sanctioned teams?

1. Will the 2 officially sanctioned teams (Indiana Gold/Blue) be the only Indiana teams allowed?

I'm sure there will be Renegade teams

2. Are the Gorillas the only team being barred from participating?

Yes

3. How are wrestlers selected for the various teams?  Are wrestlers/parents allowed to choose which team they will be a part of, or will the top wrestlers *only* be allowed to participate on the sanctioned teams?

They are "selected" based on state performance.

However, wrestlers/parents are not allowed to choose what team they are on supposedly. This is a "rule" only for Indiana teams though. It is fine for Ohio and Illinois to spread their talent out to multiple teams.

1. Are the selected wrestlers the top 9th-11th grade wrestlers as determined by IHSAA state placement?

2. Beyond the top 2 wrestlers (assuming that's how team Gold/Blue are chosen) are the other wrestlers free to join another team or do other teams have to wait until the sanctioned teams are filled by going down the pecking order, then choose from the remaining freshman-junior wrestlers to fill their squads?

1. Are the selected wrestlers the top 9th-11th grade wrestlers as determined by IHSAA state placement?

Yes, at least that is how I believe it goes

2. Beyond the top 2 wrestlers (assuming that's how team Gold/Blue are chosen) are the other wrestlers free to join another team or do other teams have to wait until the sanctioned teams are filled by going down the pecking order, then choose from the remaining freshman-junior wrestlers to fill their squads?

I don't know the process in which other teams are selected. Waiting for the Gold/Blue teams to fill up is tough as there is a short window of time to find wrestlers especially when real national events are about the same time and you flirt with spring breaks and other spring activities.

What states are fielding teams this year? I'd be good with one or two team limits per state if the event would grow a sought after choice for top Sophomores/Juniors from Mid-west/Eastern wrestling states with more College coaches interested in attending. As it stands right now its are not attracting enough of the right states and competitors for this to be the event it could be.

Edited by MattM

That's a splendid idea, maybe we'll look into some Gorilla Duals next year. Maybe name the #800lbGorilla State that has the best elementary, middle school, and high school performances.

What states are fielding teams this year? I'd be good with one or two team limits per state if the event would grow a sought after choice for top Juniors from Mid-west wrestling states with more College coaches interested in attending. As it stands right now its are not attracting enough of the right states and competitors for this to be the event it could be.

Per TrackWrestling right now it looks like
Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Colorado, Virginia, Michigan, North Dakota, Kentucky, and Georgia

Virginia is back after a year hiatus

Michigan is back after a couple year hiatus

Georgia is back after a really long hiatus

That's a splendid idea, maybe we'll look into some Gorilla Duals next year. Maybe name the #800lbGorilla State that has the best elementary, middle school, and high school performances.

I would assume that all my ISWA elementary and middle school teams will be welcome..............correct ???

I would assume that all my ISWA elementary and middle school teams will be welcome..............correct ???

Well of course, I'm not that mean. I wouldn't be one to ostracize people even at that level. We don't do it at the IHPO, we won't do it ever.

Nice to see a team from Georgia. Part of the state have really been developing over the last decades.

I would wait until the day of the event for a real confirmation as I believe Georgia was one that a few years ago was supposed to come and backed out literally last minute. That then led to the "All-Stars" team of...well anyone they could find.

What if kids can't afford the other team that is almost double in price?

What if kids want to be on the same team as a few of their teammates?

What if kids want to be coached by their high school coach instead of "others?"

Why can't kids/parents make the decision for themselves instead of being forced into a decision?

How about the issue of no wrestle backs in Indiana. Although most of you already get it I will explain it for you very simply.

Here is the common scenario:  Wrestler A who places lower (let's say 3rd in IHSAA State Finals) and regularly beats the Wrestler B (maybe even every step of the State tournament...Sectional, Regional and Semi-State) Wrestler B places 2nd because he draws opposite of the eventual State Champ while Wrestler A placed 3rd since wrestle backs don't exist.  Wrestler A is clearly the better of the two but still gets 3rd. We all know this happens regularly in Indiana.  

Bottom line:

Is the best wrestler representing Indiana? NO

Does the best wrestler miss a great opportunity? YES

Should Wrestler A still have the chance to compete with a high quality team if he wishes? ABSOLUTELY

It is simple. Quit taking opportunities away from these kids.

And I forgot to add that kids could be jeopardizing their IHSAA Amateurism at this event.

By taking a few "top" kids I have helped prevent kids from violating IHSAA rules.

This is serious... could you explain?  If our state teams are placing kids in jeopardy with the IHSAA then this process needs to be made public and discussed.

Who cares. We live in Indiana. We want to put the best team out there. Other states can do whatever they see fit.

This should be a local decision by the coach, wrestler, and parents plain and simple. With the lax supervision and coaches involved I wouldn't want a Carroll kid to go to the event on the IHSWCA team.

why not just put the coaches name vs "hall of fame" ?  Not like you have anything to be worried about.

Tom Miller, I use the term Hall of Fame loosely as he was inducted after having only 3 state qualifiers and no placers.

This is serious... could you explain?  If our state teams are placing kids in jeopardy with the IHSAA then this process needs to be made public and discussed.

That information will be released the week of the event unless a miracle happens. The event organizer and IHSWCA has consistently put the kids in jeopardy and will probably continue to do so.