IU and Purdue and B1G Tourney

I thought it was a disappointing showing for both of the local teams this year.  Do you consider either of them on the upswing or are they stuck in a perennial loop of fighting to break 8th place?

Final Team Scores

1. Ohio State - 139.5
2. Penn State - 130
3. Iowa - 112.5
4. Nebraska - 102.5 
5. Minnesota - 93
6. Illinois - 88.5 
7. Michigan - 83
8. Rutgers - 67.5
8. Wisconsin - 67.5
10. Michigan State - 38.5
11. Maryland - 32
12. Purdue - 26
13. Indiana - 24.5 
14. Northwestern - 18.0

This was a tough weekend for the Boilers.  I don't follow IU either so I can't speak for them, but I do think that Coach Ersland has the Boilers in an upswing.  He has a couple of great recruiting classes coming and I think they will be much improved through out the next couple years.  I'm very excited to see what guys like Parriott and Streck will do, along with the exciting freshman 2017 NCAA qualifier Brunner.   

As we've beat to death in this forum, we all wish we could get some of Indiana's elite kids to stick around.  Watching Hughes, Micic, Stevensen this weekend sure made me wonder "what if they were wearing an IU or a P on their singlet", and next year ask that same question of Chad Red and Nick Lee when we see them likely climbing on the B1G podium.  

IU has gotten top Indiana kids with Angel, Andrae, and Coughlin in 04/05?  

PU has gotten top Indiana kids with the Welch brothers, Lydy, Ayserman etc..  

I can't blame the ultra-elite kids like Micic, Lee, Lee, Lee and Red who choose to go to other schools.

Purdue's freshman class was pretty highly touted. I think they are on an upswing. I don't follow IU much though

In the young talent department.

Brunner had a decent showing for Purdue at Big10s. It, I'm really interested seeing how Parriot has/will developed over the next year or two. He redshirted this season, so no Big10 Results. But, he had a ton of potential and hopefully some solid practice partners to keep him working hard.

On the IU side Danishek and Skatzka showed some solid wrestling at time over the weekend. They seem like they would be the most likely candidates to lead IUs future.

Personally disappointed as my Gophers dropped to 5th and B Pfarr losing along with the darn Buckeyes winning it all. As for IU and PU,I think both will struggle regardless of getting the top tier Indiana kids. Need to find some overlooked Eastern Ohio & Western Pennsylvania kids to bolster the room. Plus they need someone to get buzz about each program. Neither have a had a name to attach with on a national level.

It seems like this comes up every year for the last five years or so at IU. I agree with attaching a name to the program, but a new hire has to be about he now and the kids on the team. Not coach who should be retired or a assistant who wants it all about him

Purdue should have much better results next year. Parriott didn't have many big matches but he did take 5th place finisher Jake Short to a 1 point decision where he gave up a late takedown. Streck hopefully places and I love what Brunners been doing lately, hopefully he develops well.

This team will hopefully be stronger in a couple of years with the better recruiting classes they've been having. Gotta remember with this lineup that starters like Lydy, Welch, and Griffin weren't top recruits coming out of high school and for them to be at the level they're at is impressive.

You're right Purdue could be on the upswing.  I really like the hiring of Kendric Maple and hopefully he will draw more lightweight/midweight wrestlers to Purdue. They have a good, young coaching staff - now they just need a little more success and publicity to help kickstart the recruiting engine and bringing in some of the big guns.

Not sure where Indiana is heading.  So far they only list one recruit for next year (Luigs).  They do seem to land a hammer here or there, but top to bottom aren't developing a solid lineup. I do think Rypel could develop into a good college wrestler

Current Signings (from Intermat)

Indiana Kyle Luigs (Mater Dei IN) 133
Purdue Parker Filius (Havre MT) 141/149
Purdue Alec White (New Palestine IN) 133
Purdue Anthony Falbo (Newtown CT) 174/184
Purdue Max Lyon Western (Dubuque IA) 184
Purdue Jared Florell Totino (Grace MN) 184/197

Ersland is just getting started, you can't expect a lot after only three years. Consider the first year he was hired he basically lost a recruiting class, so that year is a wash. The second year he brought in some good kids that are starting to get into the lineup. Next year he'll have even more. I like what they are doing, but you need patience as they redshirted most of their really good class.

Did anyone hear anything about IU wrestling turning down an opportunity to have a new wrestling room built along with the Volleyball addition?

Did anyone hear anything about IU wrestling turning down an opportunity to have a new wrestling room built along with the Volleyball addition?

The facility is going to be built, for both sports. As they share a facility now. It will be built behind Cook Hall, and beside Gladstien Field House. And I agree Erstland is building a good foundation Purdue. You can tell that the boys have the fight in them, but out talented. Which is no shame there. So let's give the coach the time to get his wrestlers in there, and see what happens. As far as IU is concerned, they finished where they were expected. And as long as the coaches stay around, will be in the same spot next year at East Lansing. Maybe down one spot, I forgot Northwestern will probably be back to a full roster next year.

Purdue will be going up next year - and year after that.  To give you an idea of the teams @ Big 10 that have graduating placers at the tournament - Purdue falls in the bottom portion (along with Indiana) - so they have a lot of room for upswing.  The teams next year once again appear to be Ohio and Penn State.  Other than Ohio & Penn - Purdue has been pretty competitive with the teams graduating zero, and the teams graduating the most - will only make Purdue more competitive with next year,  Illinois, Iowa, and Nebraska - will look completely different.  Be patient - tides changing.  Boiler up!

GRADUATING SENIORS THAT PLACED BY TEAM

Ohio                                                  0

Penn                                                 0

Indiana                                              0

Michigan State                                  0

Northwestern                                    0

Maryland                                           0

Purdue                                              1

Rutgers                                             1

Wisconsin                                         2

Michigan                                           2

Minnesota                                         2

Illinois                                               4

Iowa                                                  4

Nebraska                                          5

To go along with the list of graduating wrestlers, I think two other teams, that stick out to me as, having a chance to impact the league are Chandlers team, Michigan State and Howe's team Northwestern. They have several good returners and new recruits.

To go along with the list of graduating wrestlers, I think two other teams, that stick out to me as, having a chance to impact the league are Chandlers team, Michigan State and Howe's team Northwestern. They have several good returners and new recruits.

An additional pain for Northwestern is the career ending injury that stud Bryce Brill had.  He was one of the big name recruits that remained at the school after the Pariano fall out.  Hopefully having a strong assistant coaching staff with Howe, Brewer, and Beebe will help improve their recruiting opportunities.  I think Jason Welch may also be hanging around the area and possibly helping out a little too, I saw him out and about at Big10's.

******So IU cans their basketball coach and their football coach for performance and issues, yet their wrestling coach who has not won in years is employeed*****

I was told that this is a money issue... apparently some guy named Goldman knows some other guys named Goldman and they donate a lot of money to iu.

******So IU cans their basketball coach and their football coach for performance and issues, yet their wrestling coach who has not won in years is employeed*****

I was told that this is a money issue... apparently some guy named Goldman knows some other guys named Goldman and they donate a lot of money to iu.

This is also why they have sucked at basketball and football. Donors are making the AD decisions for him and have zero idea about sports. Just business people trying to ruin a sports program.

• 7 months later...