Fewest victories

bluechipper started a number of interesting topics last week that I enjoyed reading.

In his best 1 timer thread SWINfan mentioned Nick Lee was 3-0 going into the state series before finishing 19-1. That got me thinking.

Does anyone know who has won a state title with the fewest number of victories?

He did not win it, but in 2000 Dan Schwartz (South Adams) 189 lbs. came in to state with a record of 6-3 and ended up finishing 4th at 189.  That is the least number of matches I remember seeing at the state tournament. 

Ha. I didn't remember that. That was just before sectionals went from 4-6 to 8-10 teams and before semi-state went to 16 per weight, so there were a couple ways to reduce the number of matches wrestled through the state series. He came into state as a 4th placer, so he must have gone 2-1, 3-0, 1-2 or 2-0, 2-1, 2-2 the previous 3 weeks and started sectional with a 0-0 record. 

Don Heintzelman 132lbs 16-2 State Champ 1981. Tore up his knee early in the year and came back and had some crazy wins to win state. That was the first year they implemented the 3rd place guy going to state and he and Tony Johnson from Muncie Southside were in the conso finals and TJ was UP 6-1 and Tony shot with mere seconds left on the clock and got coffin called and put on his back to tie it up and go into over time were Don won. Then in the very final match of the state Don wrestled Tim Walsworth from Chesterton and was down 14-2 and started a comeback and Don ties up the score and pins Tim in the third period to win the state.

Considering he was the runner-up, it makes sense that his loss was to the 119 lb champ in 1989. Feel free to look it up.

HINT: He's kind of a big deal.

I misread the post not seeing runner-up..I thought this was referring to Wilson's senior year when he won it..and that was what made me confused..I know he got launched on his back after taking Ellis down in the finals. Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.