Inspired

SharkBit

Lisa and I had a great time last night.  Drove from Mishawaka to Kokomo to support our son's Middle School team in a Triple Dual and ended up scoring and running the clock.  What made it even more enjoyable was working with and talking to JD Minch who happened to be officiating.  Nice to catch up and reminisce with him.  While doing so he mentioned several guys from our area that don't seem to be able to step away any more than he can.  Guys like Henry Wilk, Jeff Colburn, the legend himself Al Smith.  Got me to thinking, earlier this week I saw Tom Dolly coaching at Grissom Middle School to add another.  We are blessed in Indiana at all levels to have individuals that have spent most of their lives advancing our sport.

I have always believed that the level of satisfaction and contentment that you are able to realize in your own life is a direct result in the difference that you make in the lives of others.  To the gentlemen mentioned....and many more....thank you for everything you do for our sport.  It was great seeing you last night JD!

Please share others that have inspired you with lifelong service.  I guess it hit me most watching one of your own transition into a new phase of giving back himself and realizing the impact that individuals like these had early on in that development.

Steve & Lisa Sandefer

Edited by SharkBit

Phil Thrasher New Albany High School coached till he physically couldn't coach any longer. He still came to many matches after he had to stop being in the chair. He was part of New Albany wrestling for better than 40 plus years. Jim Binkley came to the program around 1975 and is still there helping boys to become men. Both of these men had the ability to make you better everyday which allowed you to step on the mat knowing you could defeat anyone. Was an honor to have wrestled for these coaches. Their influence led me to become a coach. I was head coach for 23 year as well as assistant 3 years prior to becoming head coach. There has been several other coaches that came from NAHS. At least 4 of my wrestlers are high school coaches now. Took 5 years off and here I am again. Helping the program where I found my passion for the greatest sport that exist. 

Thank You Coach T and Coach Bink

Phil Thrasher New Albany High School coached till he physically couldn't coach any longer. He still came to many matches after he had to stop being in the chair. He was part of New Albany wrestling for better than 40 plus years. Jim Binkley came to the program around 1975 and is still there helping boys to become men. Both of these men had the ability to make you better everyday which allowed you to step on the mat knowing you could defeat anyone. Was an honor to have wrestled for these coaches. Their influence led me to become a coach. I was head coach for 23 year as well as assistant 3 years prior to becoming head coach. There has been several other coaches that came from NAHS. At least 4 of my wrestlers are high school coaches now. Took 5 years off and here I am again. Helping the program where I found my passion for the greatest sport that exist. 

Thank You Coach T and Coach Bink

You took my answer.  Good call on Thrasher.

Steve Balash from Hobart. Great guy that gave an 18 year old and a 1st year head coach in Middle School a lot of advice, practice tips, and an open room at Hobart to help my kids get better. Never had him as a coach, but it has been great competing against him now for 27 years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.