Best Matches Ever

1999 Carr vs Harper at 160 was in the vein of the Maurer/Dolly match--low-scoring but tons of action. Returning state runner-up vs returning state champ. Arguably the top 2 in the state pound-for-pound that year. Inarguably 2 of the top 5. Both go on to D1 careers.

Harper comes back mid-season from a significant injury and is probably wrestling up a weight. Carr takes a phenomenal match at the Al Smith in Harper's return. Wawasee came out of Fort Wayne back then, the draw fell right, so their second match was under the lights.  Starts at 19:20 here (189 and 275 are also overtime matches that year, by the way):

Edited by maligned

Somebody recently posted the 1996 state finals also. There were NINE one or two-point matches, including FOUR overtime matches. 

Also some serious star power here. Until one-sport specialization and the "golden age" of Indiana wrestling came into full swing just after this, Leroy Vega (future Minnesota all-american), Steven Bradley (3-timer), and Bill Maldonado (future Iowa St) all would have been in the discussion for Top 10 all-time.

Some highlights from the video:

-Vega getting his first title at 103 in a tight one

-Bradley picking up his third at 119

-The very popular Baker winning a 7-6 thriller over EMD's Schaefer at 125

-Maldonado picking up his first title in an exciting 7-5 decision over Center Grove's undefeated Baxter

-Rusununguko/Aessa going to final criteria at heavyweight in a wild one

Links:

Current UFC #14 featherweight in the world, Darren Elkins of Portage, over eventual NAIA national champ, Charlie Pingleton of Greencastle, in a wild, back-and-forth 10-9 championship decision at 140 in 2004 was just as heart-stopping as a few of the more recent high-scoring results under the lights.

Pringleton is another great that never won it..Elkins had a MEAN WHIZZER

.Pingleton had him picked up multiple times appearing to have the go ahead TD..but Elkins whizzer prevailed as it would cause a scramble when they hit the mat...unreal match

I remember that Hobbs match. That was unreal.

Yeah it was crazy..he played it off like it was normal...dude was a straight beast that was never boring

All I know is I have watched the 30 second overtime period of Maurer and Dolly 20 times and I still have no clue how Maurer stayed on top of him. It could be the best "move" I have ever seen to win a match in the biggest situation possible. It's unreal. He was literally on his back. I'd love to hear from him and find out what he thinks about it. If you haven't seen it you have to go watch it and try to explain to me how he did it. Especially against someone as good and as strong as Dolly. Just still confused lol

an under rated one would be Day and Johnson in 2006. don't see too many big guys put points up like that nor do you usually see a kid win state on his back.

Unless you're Woodson up 12 and throw a lateral drop and got put on his back by

Kleinhenz lol

2015 Evv SS. 132lb ticket round.  I'm guessing the loudest The Ford Center has been for any sporting event.

Brayton Lee vs. Austin Bethel.

It was double digit vs. double digits points before the fall with 15 seconds left in the match for Austin.

2015 Friday night at Banker's.  120lb Tyler Ferguson Evv Reitz over Jeremiah Reitz Griffith 17-13.  Ty missed the entire regular season.  Put on a clinic then gassed and held on.......

What about the Greg Schaefer and I believe it was combs ? That was a crazy match

That would be the 1995 State Final at the short lived 100lb weight class.  Greg Schaffer vs. David Combs (B. South).  Schaffer won in OT. 

Vega vs Schaffer Saturday morning 1996. This is the match the hooked me to this sport for life. I think Market Square made this match better. everyone setting so close to each other all but a few watching one match.

Red vs Lee Great scrambles and the best energy I have felt at the Bank/Conseco

Petrov vs Campbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.