Best Matches Ever

Someone posted earlier in a thread how they wished to see a Maurer/Dolly rematch, and after looking up the year this match happened, I remembered the finals of this tournament was posted on YouTube. I was able to see the match in its entirety, and I must say... It was awesome. Not often do you see upper-weight 1-1 matches get that exciting, but this one was all that and more. I took a couple of notes from this match-up:

- Maurer's conditioning never faded. Throughout the entire match, he seemed fresh. He didn't look gassed what so ever, and if he was, he had a great way of not showing it.

- The old Bankers Life Fieldhouse (then known as Conseco) looked awesome in this video. In 2012, the venue was gifted with a state-of-the-art scoreboard with 50 ft. long, 1080p HD screens, and 25x14 ft. 1080p HD screens facing the baseline. The new scoreboard allows for more lighting throughout the arena and on the floor, but in this state finals, with the old scoreboard (and I know some credit goes to past camera quality), you couldn't see anything BUT the wrestlers. You couldn't see the crowd or coaches, but you could hear them. The video is also great as there is no commentary, only sounds of "Let's go, Blake!" and "Let's go, Dolly!" and coaching calls.

- Incredible defense from both sides. Alex Dolly had unreal defense defending Maurer's two single leg attacks, which in many scenarios would have scored on most wrestlers. Maurer was also able to defend a buck-and-roll attempt that had him on his back for a fraction of a second, which too would've caught many others.

- The electricity of EMD and Mishawaka was unreal. I can only imagine being there as it had to be an unforgettable experience in those days.

I definitely add this in my list of best matches ever. The only thing that would've made it better was if I seen it live.

Other matches that you know of that I can possibly find footage of, please suggest or post below. The IHSAA also has DVDs of past individual and team state finals. The Maurer/Dolly match can be found here:

(25:35 minute mark)

Someone posted earlier in a thread how they wished to see a Maurer/Dolly rematch, and after looking up the year this match happened, I remembered the finals of this tournament was posted on YouTube. I was able to see the match in its entirety, and I must say... It was awesome. Not often do you see upper-weight 1-1 matches get that exciting, but this one was all that and more. I took a couple of notes from this match-up:

- Maurer's conditioning never faded. Throughout the entire match, he seemed fresh. He didn't look gassed what so ever, and if he was, he had a great way of not showing it.

- The old Bankers Life Fieldhouse (then known as Conseco) looked awesome in this video. In 2012, the venue was gifted with a state-of-the-art scoreboard with 50 ft. long, 1080p HD screens, and 25x14 ft. 1080p HD screens facing the baseline. The new scoreboard allows for more lighting throughout the arena and on the floor, but in this state finals, with the old scoreboard (and I know some credit goes to past camera quality), you couldn't see anything BUT the wrestlers. You couldn't see the crowd or coaches, but you could hear them. The video is also great as there is no commentary, only sounds of "Let's go, Blake!" and "Let's go, Dolly!" and coaching calls.

- Incredible defense from both sides. Alex Dolly had unreal defense defending Maurer's two single leg attacks, which in many scenarios would have scored on most wrestlers. Maurer was also able to defend a buck-and-roll attempt that had him on his back for a fraction of a second, which too would've caught many others.

- The electricity of EMD and Mishawaka was unreal. I can only imagine being there as it had to be an unforgettable experience in those days.

I definitely add this in my list of best matches ever. The only thing that would've made it better was if I seen it live.

Other matches that you know of that I can possibly find footage of, please suggest or post below. The IHSAA also has DVDs of past individual and team state finals. The Maurer/Dolly match can be found here:

(25:35 minute mark)
Mauer vs Newport and Hobbs were unreal too...I seen nick Hobbs the next year afyer losing in the finals on Friday night was down by 1 with 10 seconds left tell his coach he wasn't cutting the guy...instead dropped in and titled the kid for 2 and the buzzer...Was one of the boldest things I've seen..everybody was confused when he didn't cut the kid..he showed us abd tilted him like it was all planned...Nick Hobbs from beech grove was fun as heck to watch Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Some of my favorites:

Samuels vs. Clarke

Campbell vs. Ayersman

Campbell vs. Petrov

Petrov/Campbell is in my personal top 5!

14-11 incredible match-up. My personal favorite is Neal Molloy vs. Eli Walker from 2013. Walker's defense throughout that match and last second fireman's stuck with me for life. It was great.

Quiroga vs. Tsirtsis in the semis at state immediately comes to mind. 

I remember only wanting to see Quiroga Vs. TShirts and Roach vs. Richey that year.....  A pregnant Mrs. 3B calls me and tells me to meet her for breakfast in what's now Dunkin Donuts... I could hear and feel the crowd...She kept telling me to just go but I feel like she was testing me.

I missed both  :o  :o  :o  :o

I got back in Conseco just as Richey won and everybody talking about how awesome both matches were

That one's hard to watch. Brendan was so instrumental in my son's wrestling and such a great kid. Hated seeing him heartbroken afterward - and for the fourth time. Freshman year, undefeated and had his appendix removed the week of regional. Sophomore loses a close one and finishes third. Lost two great matches in a row under the lights as a junior and senior. He was sure fun to watch though. Great kid from a great family.

Edited by grappleapple

Campbell/Petrov is still the match that comes to mind for me. Feel bad for Campbell who looked like something went wrong in the 3rd period(He appeared disoriented after going out of bounds and in the replay of Petrov's last takedown you can see Campbell waving his finger in what looks like he was calling for injury time), but can't take anything at all away from Petrov who wrestled with a huge fire under him in both this match and his semi finals against Todd.

Another match that comes to mind, though much lesser known, is Forrest Glogouski vs. Zack Davis at the Memorial Charger Invite in '13/'14. Glogouski was leading a majority of the match by a small margin, and the 3rd period had some nice flurries that Davis came out on top. They both ended up being the runner-ups that year at 120 and 126 to two of Indiana's finest ever in Red and Micic.

98 - Doherty vs Lund and Birge vs Labo were instant classics, I think Doherty was down big and hit two headlocks for the tie and the win, Birge and Labo was just insane and all over the place.

My memory may be fading but I believe the opposite happened in the Doherty-Lund match. Doherty hit that nasty headlock twice to go up big then Lund came rallying back and almost won it

Mauer vs Newport and Hobbs were unreal too...I seen nick Hobbs the next year afyer losing in the finals on Friday night was down by 1 with 10 seconds left tell his coach he wasn't cutting the guy...instead dropped in and titled the kid for 2 and the buzzer...Was one of the boldest things I've seen..everybody was confused when he didn't cut the kid..he showed us abd tilted him like it was all planned...Nick Hobbs from beech grove was fun as heck to watch

I remember that Hobbs match. That was unreal.

I'm going to ask a stupid question.  I've watched the video and still don't have the answer.  What was the criteria Maurer won on?  What were the criteria at that time?   The OT format was different than it is today, right?

I'm going to ask a stupid question. I've watched the video and still don't have the answer. What was the criteria Maurer won on? What were the criteria at that time? The OT format was different than it is today, right?

Not a stupid question by any means. I was confused as well. The IHSAA website has it in the books as a 1-1 OT criteria win, the criteria being there was only one ride out period after the initial sudden victory period. It's different from today's ruling where both wrestlers have a chance to break the tie before the ultimate tiebreaker. This, to put it simply, was sudden victory followed by ultimate tiebreaker.

Back then OT was 1 minute sudden victory.  Then one 30 second period.  The first person to score during regulation got choice.  If bottom man got out he won.  If top man rode him for 30 seconds, he won.

Current UFC #14 featherweight in the world, Darren Elkins of Portage, over eventual NAIA national champ, Charlie Pingleton of Greencastle, in a wild, back-and-forth 10-9 championship decision at 140 in 2004 was just as heart-stopping as a few of the more recent high-scoring results under the lights.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.