Best 1xer

bluechipper

Brad Traviolia, Wawasee. Big Ten Champ, NCAA Runner-up for Northwestern

I agree Brad or Mark Whitehead from Warsaw who was NCAA runner-up at 190 lbs in 1989.  Both were 3 sport guys. 

Whitehead was one of the best athletes I've ever been around.  Guy could play football, wrestle, and could probably run 

a sub 5:00 mile for a guy who was linebacker size...wrestled high school part time until he went to Northwestern. 

Matt Wills '91 HVY state champ.  Don't know what he did previous years, but he pinned Frank Hammond ('92 state champ) in the finals in about a minute.  Tossed him and then cradled him if I remember right.  I think he also won senior nationals in '91.

Matt Wills '91 HVY state champ.  Don't know what he did previous years, but he pinned Frank Hammond ('92 state champ) in the finals in about a minute.  Tossed him and then cradled him if I remember right.  I think he also won senior nationals in '91.

http://indianamat.com/index.php/page/wrestler_detail.html/_/graduated/matt-wills-r4731

My updated top 3: I know, I know,  a lot of dudes from my generation. I'm sure I am forgetting some old timers who were solid as well.

1) Nick Lee

2) Jared Brooks

3) Devon Jackson

Honorable Mention: Taylor March, Garrett Pepple, and Drew Hildebrandt (spelling?)

I almost feel like the fact that Nick only wrestled 3 seasons somewhat disqualifies him....though a 145 Finals matchup with Brayton Lee this year would have been, and I hate this word, epic.

Edited by Forrester

My updated top 3: I know, I know, a lot of dudes from my generation. I'm sure I am forgetting some old timers who were solid as well.

1) Nick Lee

2) Jared Brooks

3) Devon Jackson

Honorable Mention: Taylor March, Garrett Pepple, and Drew Hildebrandt (spelling?)

Agree with Taylor March being up there in the conversation. 2nd 2nd 3rd 1st

2 seasons or 3?

In a way, he did only wrestle his freshman and sophomore years.  Last year he was 3-0 going into Sectionals with his only 3 matches at Team State.  The State Tournament brought his final record to 19-1.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.