Freshman/sophomore state

ontherise219

My only complaint was the 10 bucks each day. 10 should have been plenty for both days. That was a lot of money for some of the parents.

That extra sucks for the Day 2 one and done parents who also paid for the overnight stay. Hope that's fixed in the future.

I agree could probably be done in 1 day. With that said, I prefer the 2 days but 10 dollars for both days and the one and done kids on Sunday is a bit silly after hotel expenses etc are pretty steep.

Besides that issue I was extremely pleased with how efficient the tournament was ran. I expect it to rapidly grow as the years go on.

Lastly, I congratulate all of the champs and placers today, especially Logan Mosser from Adams Central, made it a ton of fun to coach today!

I actually liked the 2 day format as well but would suggest wrestling one more round on Saturday so that we are down to top 8 on Sunday. That would be alot of wrestling for a one day tournament!

Thought it was well ran and the Southport fieldhouse was a pretty cool atmosphere for the guys to wrestle in!

Some great wrestling yesterday and hope to see this tournament to continue to grow in the future!

Here is the issue with wrestling down to 8 on Saturday.  Typically you would want to be the most fresh for a match that would put you on the podium.  That is the reason that I am okay with how Mark and Southport put the tournament on.  Few things here and there that could've been better, but all in all a cool tournament.  Sorry that I had the TrackCast kits at UIndy and we did not stream the entire event.  Hopefully using the TrackCast system, fo free, on the second day helped people around the state see what this event was and what it could become.

Hopefully they find a new announcer next year, the dude was insufferable.

Who do you think the MVP of the tournament would be if we had to choose. 

Brewer at 160 looked like he was on a mission all tourney also Cornwell at 220 Looked lights out even in the finals match going up 11-1 in the first period against a very tough semi-state ticket rounder in Darrione Gregorie of Lawrence Central

I personally feel guys like my son Silas, Brewer, Bailey, Cornwell, etc.,. shouldn't be considered. These are guys who were in the rankings all year (high at that), very capable of standing on the podium at the bank, beat guys who did, but unfortunately fell a little short. They should (and did) win this tournament. My opinion is that a kid like Morgan from Elwood (182) who beat a very tough Friedt in the semifinal is more deserving. Or someone similar. Basically, a young man who spent little to no time in the rankings, yet embraced an opportunity to make his presence felt. Just my opinion.

I personally feel guys like my son Silas, Brewer, Bailey, Cornwell, etc.,. shouldn't be considered. These are guys who were in the rankings all year (high at that), very capable of standing on the podium at the bank, beat guys who did, but unfortunately fell a little short. They should (and did) win this tournament. My opinion is that a kid like Morgan from Elwood (182) who beat a very tough Friedt in the semifinal is more deserving. Or someone similar. Basically, a young man who spent little to no time in the rankings, yet embraced an opportunity to make his presence felt. Just my opinion.

To piggy back off of this notable thought, has someone tried to compile a list yet of those none SQ/SSQ who finished in the Top 3? Or even Top 5?  I'd be happy too, but wont have the extra time to compile one for a few more days.  In doing so they no doubt at to beat a SSQ or two along the way.  It seems like those guys just earned some early consideration for next years Semi-State Rankings and the State Rankings watch list.

Edited by MattM

Jacob Suskii penn was in and out of the line for the kingsman and he won 152. Penn had a handful of impressive wrestlers

I feel that. Would've liked to see how he would've fared against a kid like Tucker Coffman? I anticipated a strong showing from Tucker. But yeah, Suskii definitely looked real solid. I was highly impressed with LJ Burden from Plainfield at 132 as well. 132 was a weight class that had quite a few legit kids.

Edited by Perseverance

I thought the depth in each weight class varied significantly.  Some Weights had a good number of the SSQ and SQ's who attended.  Others did not.  Clearly those weights were 6+ SSQ or better were present were much tougher.  Anybody looked closely at which weights these were?

I thought the depth in each weight class varied significantly. Some Weights had a good number of the SSQ and SQ's who attended. Others did not. Clearly those weights were 6+ SSQ or better were present were much tougher. Anybody looked closely at which weights these were?

If you go to the trackwrestling event site and click on the Divisions option you can see how many SQ/SSQ were in each weight via the separation criteria.

106 = 9 SSQ

113 = 9 SSQ + 1 State Qualifier

120 = 9 SSQ

126 = 3 SSQ + 1 State Qualifier

132 = 10 SSQ

138 = 8 SSQ

145 = 8 SSQ

152 = 2 SSQ

160 = 5 SSQ + 1 State Qualifier

170 = 7 SSQ

182 = 5 SSQ

195 = 5 SSQ

220 = 2 SSQ + 1 State Qualifier

285 = 4 SSQ

It was pretty evident in some of the quarters and Semi Finals that there was a lot of Quality Kids there wrestling. Some very good finals matches. If you made the finals my observation was that you probably have a chance in the future to make it down to the bank. Kudos to Southport Staff and Coaches and wrestlers for putting on a quality event that I hope takes off. Were there some Hiccups, Of Course, But not many.......

Kudos to Southport and those who ran the tourney. Enjoyed it. Only suggestion, as others had stated, would be to get to the medal rounds before sending us home. We were one of the unfortunates to be one and done. Outside of that job well done and we hope to be back next season!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.