College Style

sportsfangms

Over the course of the past few years I've noticed the college style of wrestling evolving, not only do the elite guys have to be solid in all 3 positions, but they also have an element of "funk" in their bag of tricks. As a general observation, the Portage and EMD light weights seem to be excellent at dropping to an ankle and rolling through. There were several individuals who were good at this over the weekend, but the two programs I mentioned seem to make this a priority. I guess the point of my post is to see if anyone else has noticed this and whether or not this is a priority in the practice room. I happen to enjoy this style, the kids who can do it make their opponents work harder for a takedown and turn an otherwise bad position into an offensive position.

I do remember Mega pinning Nato at NCAA (semi finals?) after a stopped leg pass not long ago. Just this weekend, OK State Heil was pinned by PSU guy (but not called) after he was stopped halfway through a leg pass-funk-scramble.

Since leg pass is learned right after baseline defense these days by kids young as elementary age, expect more kids to anticipate them and counter the counter.

An NCAA champ explained to me that leg passes works only if offensive guy holds on to leg, he also said "Why hold on to a leg that is going to take you over?"   much like "Letting go of a log before it pulls you over the waterfall"

Not the biggest fan of ankle diving and leg passes, the toll on the kids knees will be paid later on in life.

Edited by Mat Shark

I see positives and negatives for this in wrestling today.  I am a big fan of the high school wrestlers integrating college style wrestling into their everyday wrestling.  I believe that this makes the kids better at wrestling.  The downside is that the officials are not up to date on the evolution of new moves and therefore are not rewarding points to kids because they do not understand what is going on in the match.  It will just take a little while for change to become effective.

I see positives and negatives for this in wrestling today.  I am a big fan of the high school wrestlers integrating college style wrestling into their everyday wrestling.  I believe that this makes the kids better at wrestling.  The downside is that the officials are not up to date on the evolution of new moves and therefore are not rewarding points to kids because they do not understand what is going on in the match.  It will just take a little while for change to become effective.

Can you give an example of what officials would not understand about position and control?  To me, and I saw a lot of this kind of thing this weekend, much of it was called correctly.  No control was given in one instance that "funk" was happening and wrestler a was behind wrestler be but his leg was elevated to the other's chest (or something of that nature, situation for my point doesn't necessarily matter).  Anyhow no control was awarded and people were yelling but before you know it the wrestler "who should have been taken down" was now facing the other in a no control situation.  My rational for some of these situation is that if a wrestler is in control he can improve his position. I have a problem most of the time when I see a takedown call and then a stalemate without things changing.  

Can you give an example of what officials would not understand about position and control?  To me, and I saw a lot of this kind of thing this weekend, much of it was called correctly.  No control was given in one instance that "funk" was happening and wrestler a was behind wrestler be but his leg was elevated to the other's chest (or something of that nature, situation for my point doesn't necessarily matter).  Anyhow no control was awarded and people were yelling but before you know it the wrestler "who should have been taken down" was now facing the other in a no control situation.  My rational for some of these situation is that if a wrestler is in control he can improve his position. I have a problem most of the time when I see a takedown call and then a stalemate without things changing.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv78Z5kaA0Q

Here is a link to a move that Jordan Oliver has made famous.  I have seen this move done and some officials see it has a takedown and a tilt, while I have also seen multiple officials just stare and say nothing is happening.  When I explain the move, I get responses like "that is spaghetti wrestling" or "this isn't college".  

Here is a link to a move that Jordan Oliver has made famous. I have seen this move done and some officials see it has a takedown and a tilt, while I have also seen multiple officials just stare and say nothing is happening. When I explain the move, I get responses like "that is spaghetti wrestling" or "this isn't college".

Yep, had an official argue that it wasn't a move for our kid that hit it. It's control. But hey some refs see back points, others don't.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.