Why aren't we using the tournament success factor for team state?

bwoodjc89

Why are we not using the Tournament Success Factor in classification for our IHSWCA Team State? Just curious.

This is from an IHSAA.org

a. In team sports, schools shall be subject to reclassification at the conclusion of a reclassification period on a sport-by-sport basis dependent on the school’s tournament series success during the previous reclassification period.

b. A school shall earn the assigned point values for the final level of the tournament series the school achieves during the previous reclassification period as follows:

(1.) Sectional championship – 1 point

(2.) Regional championship – 2 points

(3.) Semi-State championship – 3 points

(4.) State championship – 4 points

c. If a school in any enrollment class achieves a tournament series success point value of six (6) points or greater in a specific sport during the previous reclassification period, such school shall move up to the next available higher enrollment class for the next reclassification period.

Here is the entire document - http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/Tournament%20Success%20Factor/Tournament%20Success%20Factor%20Provisions.pdf

IHSAA state tournament isn't classed nor are there an even number of teams from each class in every Sectional/Regional. So I don't think their is a clear way to show the success factor across all contests and apply it evenly to the Team state competition. Plus with only three Team state classes I don't think we would see too much mobility of teams between classes if a success factor was applied.

My apologies. Interesting.

I've never heard this response. Rather, I've heard committee members say they'd like the event to be something that looks attractive to the IHSAA. Using a success factor has been mentioned in procedures discussions, but nobody's pushed for it--even those coaches of teams who could probably benefit from it. If someone thinks it should start being used, you should talk to coaches from Madison, Edgewood, Warren Central, East Central, Centerville, Yorktown, Jeffersonville, and Churubusco and urge them to make a proposal or bring it up for a vote.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.