Class Wrestling - Potential Benefits

Westforkwhite

Fabio, thank you for your post and for your dedication to the sport and your kids.  I can definitely see all the hard work paying off in your program.  Unfortunately, until more coaches are willing to put that kind of time and effort in, the overall sport will not grow.  I do not care how many classes at individual state you make.   I am not judging the non year round coaches at all.  It is difficult to maintain a marriage and family life as a coach.  However, very few coaches get to walk into a well oiled machine that requires little effort.  It does take a lot of time not just by the head coaches, but assistant coaches of most successful programs put in a ton of time as well.  

Your listed times seem just a little short. I would say it is more like.

• Monday
    • Work 7:00 am - 3:30 (6:30 am if morning runs) 
    • High School Practice 3:30-5:30 (getting home no earlier than 6:30 many times 7:00 pm)
    • Beginner Group 5:45-6:45
    • Intermediate group 6:45-7:45 (home by 8:15 if lucky)   13.25/75 hours
  • Tuesday
    • High School Practice 3:30-5:30 (getting home no earlier than 6:30 many times 7:00 pm)  12, 12.5 hours
  • Wednesday
    • High School Practice 3:30-5:30 (getting home no earlier than 6:30 many times 7:00 pm)
    • Beginner Group 5:45-6:45
    • Intermediate group 6:45-7:45 (home by 8:15 if lucky)   13.25/75 hours
  • Thursday
    • 7:00 am - 3:30 (6:30 am if morning runs) 
    • High School Practice 3:30-5:30 (getting home no earlier than 6:30 many times 7:00 pm)   12, 12.5 hours
  • Friday
    • 7:00 am - 3:30 (6:30 am if morning runs) 
    • Friday Night live 5:45-6:45 (home by 8:15 if lucky)   13.25/75 hours
  • Satuday
    • High School Tournament (arrive at school 5:30 - 6:00 am home after 7:00 pm)  13.5 hours
  • Sunday
    • Youth Tournament (6:00 am to 6:00 pm)  12 hours

I'll openly admit that I don't have the time, nor the experience in the sport of wrestling to confidently speak on how "classing" it up would cause positive/negative affects on the sport itself. I only began really developing a love and admiration for wrestling once I seen it in my son, and shared in his success. That is where my next few questions are going to be coming from. Not, how does it elevate the sport.......but more the athlete?

1st....Would classing the sport hurt the perception of small school division champions?

-I see an obvious perception that the larger schools pretty much have the best programs. Traditionally speaking, this has held true. But my personal feelings are that it would be a travesty to take away the "David vs Goliath" potential team upsets even if it only happens sparingly. Individually speaking, had the sport been classed this year......There is no Eli Stock accomplishment. He and my son Silas more than likely wrestle for the 1A 170lb Championship. I would think that for a kid like Stock, his road looks much more impressive to recruiters how it was. That's leads to my next question.....

-How would class wrestling affect recruiting?-

As I share my own thoughts, again remember.....I'm genuinely interested in your guys thoughts here. I don't have the answers. It just seems to me that without a "Tournament of Champions", the larger class Champ will often be perceived as the better wrestler. Notwithstanding, I realize national accomplishments play a MUCH larger role in recruiting than strictly State placements.

My final question is......

-How would you stop dad's like me (there are tons/even some coaches) who have this perception from immediately transferring to larger programs?-

That seems like it would ultimately hurt the quality of smaller schools when many of the elite wrestlers leave for larger programs. Which could in turn hurt the recruiting in the smaller school divisions. And would definitely affect the quality of the top tier 1A programs.

Very interested in hearing your guys thoughts/answers to these questions. Thx for your patience.

I'll openly admit that I don't have the time, nor the experience in the sport of wrestling to confidently speak on how "classing" it up would cause positive/negative affects on the sport itself. I only began really developing a love and admiration for wrestling once I seen it in my son, and shared in his success. That is where my next few questions are going to be coming from. Not, how does it elevate the sport.......but more the athlete?

1st....Would classing the sport hurt the perception of small school division champions?

-I see an obvious perception that the larger schools pretty much have the best programs. Traditionally speaking, this has held true. But my personal feelings are that it would be a travesty to take away the "David vs Goliath" potential team upsets even if it only happens sparingly. Individually speaking, had the sport been classed this year......There is no Eli Stock accomplishment. He and my son Silas more than likely wrestle for the 1A 170lb Championship. I would think that for a kid like Stock, his road looks much more impressive to recruiters how it was. That's leads to my next question.....

-How would class wrestling affect recruiting?-

As I share my own thoughts, again remember.....I'm genuinely interested in your guys thoughts here. I don't have the answers. It just seems to me that without a "Tournament of Champions", the larger class Champ will often be perceived as the better wrestler. Notwithstanding, I realize national accomplishments play a MUCH larger role in recruiting than strictly State placements.

In most cases it is perceived that the lower class athletes are inferior. When looking at other sports you assume that the 2A champ can't beat the 6A champ and so on. With wrestling though we have the potential to see the champs meet up during the regular season or during off-season events. On top of that national accolades play into who would be perceived the better wrestler. At the end of the day however, the small school winner will still have a blue ring and medal. You can't take that away from him, nor will you take away the effects of his school and community celebrating the accomplishment.

An Eli Stock and Silas Allred match would have been great to see, it would have been a barnburner and it would have been a quality finals match.

My final question is......

-How would you stop dad's like me (there are tons/even some coaches) who have this perception from immediately transferring to larger programs?-

That seems like it would ultimately hurt the quality of smaller schools when many of the elite wrestlers leave for larger programs. Which could in turn hurt the recruiting in the smaller school divisions. And would definitely affect the quality of the top tier 1A programs.

Very interested in hearing your guys thoughts/answers to these questions. Thx for your patience.

At the DI level it would have VERY little if any affect. DI coaches recruit based on national accolades more than winning state tournaments. Andrew Howe, Alex Tsirtsis, Jason Tsirtsis, etc were not big time recruits because of their in-state success, but their national success.

The small school colleges would be helped with more kids earning state level accolades earlier, thus the kids being on their radar earlier. The earlier you're on the radar, the better chance you have of having things like grades and test scores in order. On top of that some kids that earn state level accolades later in their career may have already packed it in on wrestling in college due to lack of interest.

In most cases it is perceived that the lower class athletes are inferior. When looking at other sports you assume that the 2A champ can't beat the 6A champ and so on. With wrestling though we have the potential to see the champs meet up during the regular season or during off-season events. On top of that national accolades play into who would be perceived the better wrestler. At the end of the day however, the small school winner will still have a blue ring and medal. You can't take that away from him, nor will you take away the effects of his school and community celebrating the accomplishment.

An Eli Stock and Silas Allred match would have been great to see, it would have been a barnburner and it would have been a quality finals match.

At the DI level it would have VERY little if any affect. DI coaches recruit based on national accolades more than winning state tournaments. Andrew Howe, Alex Tsirtsis, Jason Tsirtsis, etc were not big time recruits because of their in-state success, but their national success.

The small school colleges would be helped with more kids earning state level accolades earlier, thus the kids being on their radar earlier. The earlier you're on the radar, the better chance you have of having things like grades and test scores in order. On top of that some kids that earn state level accolades later in their career may have already packed it in on wrestling in college due to lack of interest.

I appreciate the clarity and insight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.