The Long Run

bluechipper

I seen a lot of tears in the stands last night mainly during award presentations from a lot of wrestlers who either didn't place or didn't get a chance to wrestle (either due to injury or elimination at Semi-State, Regions, etc.), and I completely understand. For the underclassmen who didn't place, understand that you will hopefully have another opportunity to wrestle it out and either become one of the 224 at Bankers Life or 112 to earn medals. Wrestle each match like it is your last and constantly train like your life depends on it. Do not get caught up in the rankings because while they are fun to look at and see yourself on, they don't matter as much as you would think. You don't get a much better example than Eli Stock. He was ranked #16 and won a state championship over the second-ranked wrestler in the state (whom I picked to win) by fall. You can tell he was determined and worked his butt off. For those who are caught up in their record, don't be. Caleb Oliver, a freshman at Cathedral, entered the state finals with a 20-18 record, but I can guarantee you he has gained a boatload of experience and amassed much-deserved confidence wrestling on the highest level in a tough weight class. For the seniors, who either didn't make it out of Semi-State, Regions, Sectionals, fell unable to compete due to injury, were JV, or other circumstances, understand what you were able to do and take it for what it is worth. You were able to compete in a sport which allowed you to push yourself to the absolute limits physically and mentally. You are not a normal person. A normal person couldn't and wouldn't last in their body and endure what you've endured in your mind, spirit, and soul. You have nothing to hang your head about. Whether you're one of those kids coming from powerhouse programs like EMD, Brownsburg, Perry Meridian, Penn, Avon, or even smaller programs like Adams Central, Churubusco, Shenandoah, etc., YOU ARE A WRESTLER. You know what it takes to earn and gain superior position. Use that mindset for the rest of your life. For the seniors who wrestled their final match on Friday night and sat through the tournament Saturday, you may feel empty and may be beating yourself up over what you could've done differently, cried, or don't know what to feel, I can understand your emotions firsthand. It's a hard pill to swallow as a competitor to see other wrestlers you've either beaten, held close matches with, or have the same common opponents as you did, excel and place on the podium or even win. It's hard for me just coming into Bankers and not immediately getting emotional, but as a person, you have to let it go and recognize what you have done. It's still taking me time to adjust and think about what I could've done, but as my family and friends told me, I made it where many people couldn't and had the opportunity to wrestle in front of 10,000+. For that, I am forever grateful. So, to my seniors without hardware, don't think about what could've been. Think about what was and what is to come. For all of you wrestlers who didn't quite get the endings you wanted, don't hang your head. Think about your life in the long run, because one day, you'll be able to tell your kids and future generations all of your favorite memories and how much you've learned from this sport. As a wrestler, you learn so much and you become a better person. Congratulations to all Indiana high school wrestlers for another great season, and to all seniors for great careers.

Edited by bluechipper

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.