Semi-State Champions Scorecard

SWINfan

Obviously winning a state title is the ultimate pinnacle and only one guy wins each year per weight. But looking back at the history(thanks y2 for all the data at our fingertips) of the 3 teams mentioned homestead, Carroll and Leo (2 of those are 6a schools by the way) . There were a total of 4 state champs between the 3 of them and 2 of those were 30 years ago. So I will take a reach here and say #makenortheastindianawretlinggreatagain....or better yet #makeallencountywrestlinggreatagain

How far off am I on this map?  I couldn't spend a ton of time on this.  As far as land goes I see disproportions here and it isn't up North.

SemiState.jpg

How far off am I on this map?  I couldn't spend a ton of time on this.  As far as land goes I see disproportions here and it isn't up North.

SemiState.jpg

You really cant go by land, some places are more heavily populated.    Do we have Gerrymander our semi-states like the politicians do.

The South also has Santa Clause Indiana.  That isn't fair at all!!! Free soda all day.

You really cant go by land, some places are more heavily populated.    Do we have Gerrymander our semi-states like the politicians do.

Like Joe said Fort Wayne has the least amount of students and the most small schools.  Gerrymander that.

Just imagine how shallow FWSS would have looked if Delaware County schools drove 20 minutes to New Castle instead of 80 minutes to Fort Wayne... They have to put the cutoff somewhere I guess...

Ours isn't too bad when you consider Mooresville regional teams are all closer to Ft Wayne than to Evansville by 45 minutes to an hour. (and its all interstate)

I think it's always going to be difficult to create parity and equal distances.

I am just saying when the statement is made that you have to draw the line somewhere.....  The answer is yes.  If we didn't have the Delaware County schools we would be even smaller.  Go ahead and give us Mishawaka we would love it.  Not sure they would.

As a footnote and answer to the question the last 5 state champs from Fort Wayne city schools were

1998 Talamantes dwenger and Lapsley from snider

2001 Greg Wagner snider

2002 graylan early north side and Jason Woodson snider

Brownlee was a frikkn animal too..Him vs a Mauer was a CLASSIC..I'll never forget Brownlee having a brain fart and tried throwing a headlock and getting taken down in OT iirc..you could see on his face he was kicking himself in the behind...Was a monster if I ever seen one @145

The South also has Santa Clause Indiana.  That isn't fair at all!!! Free soda all day.

Like Joe said Fort Wayne has the least amount of students and the most small schools.  Gerrymander that.

We can edit the map and draw some Amphibian arms to include HSE and Carmel in Ft Wayne.   That might even it out. That would be a good Gerrymander and add some big schools to FW.

Just imagine how shallow FWSS would have looked if Delaware County schools drove 20 minutes to New Castle instead of 80 minutes to Fort Wayne... They have to put the cutoff somewhere I guess...

Just imagine if #TheCounty would go to New Castle instead of Evansville.

It's a fun game to play.

We can edit the map and draw some Amphibian arms to include HSE and Carmel in Ft Wayne. That might even it out. That would be a good Gerrymander and add some big schools to FW.

You can keep Carmel but personally I wouldn't mind HSE only because my buddies son goes there and he is a good kid.

There are 2 middle schools.  Blackhawk that feeds to Snider.  Saint Vincents that feeds to Dwenger.

If you include private schools (like St. Vincent's), you get a few more because of the Lutheran schools. However, if we are discussing public schools, the only middle school program for Fort Wayne Community Schools is Blackhawk. That program was only started because Mike Ester was passionate about the product he was helping produce at Snider. Say what you will about Ester, but wherever he goes, teams tend to win (Snider, Trine, Indiana Tech). Since his departure from Snider, the school and the conference have been on a decline. 

Personally, I don't think the SAC is going to invite Carroll and Homestead any time soon for wrestling. This year, Carroll would have placed wayyy out front with Homestead a distant second, followed by Dwenger in 3rd (based on tournament results i.e. Concordia Invite, New Haven Invite, Mooresville Holiday Classic, IHSAA Regional). 

As a head coach, I have learned that this sport takes a lot of time, energy and commitment. I know that most sports do but I think wrestling is unique because we have a smaller number of families, individuals and leaders to draw upon to help organize things. As a result, the few leaders in the area may get burned out and invest the minimum time necessary to run a successful PROGRAM but don't have the extra time and energy to help develop a COUNTY. 

Potential solution: The head coaches in the area form meaningful relationships, put aside our egos and use our resources collectively so that all wrestlers in the area can rise together. Believe me, I am just as much to blame as the next guy. I want Homestead to win championships so most of my time and energy is devoted there. However, I love this sport and how it helps develop young men and it would mean a lot to me to see Fort Wayne wrestling back on the map. 

Brownlee was a frikkn animal too..Him vs a Mauer was a CLASSIC..I'll never forget Brownlee having a brain fart and tried throwing a headlock and getting taken down in OT iirc..you could see on his face he was kicking himself in the behind...Was a monster if I ever seen one @145

Jason Woodson (FT Wayne Snider) in 02.... Can't forget about him

Ours isn't too bad when you consider Mooresville regional teams are all closer to Ft Wayne than to Evansville by 45 minutes to an hour. (and its all interstate)

I think it's always going to be difficult to create parity and equal distances.

Is it the IHSAA's purpose to create parity?   I'm thinking they are more interested in balance from a geographic and # of schools standpoint.  Am I wrong?

oK FANS da region might be a little down - I said 6 we got 2 / da rat is a opertunistic kinda guy. We did have 3 of da top 6 teams. Tings look pretty bright for next year. Lots of horsepower coming back. 

I did have some fun down in Indy. Went to a show club - spent all my singles. Most of da entertainment looked like day were corn feed. Used da uber to get back to da motel 6. Played it safe - day know lake county lisence plates. 

Lookin forward to goin to da big 10's - gonna be mitty fun. Lookin my fellow cedar tucky boy Micic to do some damage. 

oK FANS da region might be a little down - I said 6 we got 2 / da rat is a opertunistic kinda guy. We did have 3 of da top 6 teams. Tings look pretty bright for next year. Lots of horsepower coming back. 

I did have some fun down in Indy. Went to a show club - spent all my singles. Most of da entertainment looked like day were corn feed. Used da uber to get back to da motel 6. Played it safe - day know lake county lisence plates. 

Lookin forward to goin to da big 10's - gonna be mitty fun. Lookin my fellow cedar tucky boy Micic to do some damage. 

Glad to see you weren't on that brinks truck headed to Fort Wayne!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.