Semi-State Champions Scorecard

SWINfan

Final Standings

East Chicago - 138, 195 = (2)

Evansville - 120, 145, 152, 170 = (4)

Ft. Wayne - 106, 160, 182, 285 = (4)

New Castle - 113, 126, 132, 220 = (4)

Gotta think the Region folks aren't going home happy!  Some were predicting 6 titles.  Nice job by Ft. Wayne equaling Evansville and New Castle.

Edited by SWINfan

Placers

Eville 31

E Chicago 31

New Castle 30

Ft Wayne 20

Semi-finalists

E-ville 16

New Castle 16

E Chicago 15

Ft Wayne 9

Finalists

New Castle 8

E Chicago 7

Ft Wayne 7

Eville 6

Champs

Eville 4

New Castle 4

Ft Wayne 4

E Chicago 2

I haven't calculated all team points, but it must be extremely close between NC and Evansville...Probably the slightest of edges to New Castle

Cumulative team points by semi-state:

New Castle 364.5

Evansville 345.5

East Chicago 340

Fort Wayne 222

I believe this is at least the 4th year in a row that NC has outscored the other semi-states (but never by much). I used to argue that Fort Wayne being lower was "cyclical" because they've had periods historically of being at or near the top too, but it's now north of 15 years as always the lowest scoring semi-state.

Edited by maligned

Nice job maligned!!

I wonder if the Ihsaa would use your stats to help them with realignment for the tournament? Maybe even out the semi states more...

It would be cool to see Avon and Brownsburg be split up. I think Fort Wayne and easy Chicago are closer to those schools than Evansville is.

Edited by navy80

What about by regional?

Nice job maligned!!

I wonder if the Ihsaa would use your stats to help them with realignment for the tournament? Maybe even out the semi states more...

It would be cool to see Avon and Brownsburg be split up. I think Fort Wayne and easy Chicago are closer to those schools than Evansville is.

Fort Wayne by far has the most small schools and least amount of total students compared to the other semi-states.

What about by regional?

Fort Wayne by far has the most small schools and least amount of total students compared to the other semi-states.

Yeah to redistribute population there needs to be a better distribution of Marion county and accompanying north and west suburbs among 3 or 4 semi-states instead of mostly in one and a little in a second. St Joe county could easily be sent east also in favor of rural schools in and around Howard County going elsewhere.

It would be interesting to me how changing new Castle to mostly a southeast corridor including some indy south and east and Eville a southwest corridor including some indy south and west might alter things. You could send Hamilton County and/or some Indy north or St Joe County to FW. You could keep E Chicago big-school balanced with either st Joe county or some of indy northwest as necessary.

Edited by maligned

Cumulative team points by semi-state:

New Castle 364.5

Evansville 345.5

East Chicago 340

Fort Wayne 222

I believe this is at least the 4th year in a row that NC has outscored the other semi-states (but never by much). I used to argue that Fort Wayne being lower was "cyclical" because they've had periods historically of being at or near the top too, but it's now north of 15 years as always the lowest scoring semi-state.

I will take the Ft. Wayne comment a step further. If you factor out the schools that are on the periphery of the semi state, Ft. Wayne area wrestling had a very poor showing this past weekend. I see the core of the Ft. Wayne area as Allen, Dekalb, Steuben, Lagrange, Noble, Whitley, Adams, Jay, Wells, Huntington, and Wabash counties. From those counties there were 6 placers total: 3-8th, 2-7th, 1-5th. Three of those were from Adams County. Allen county had zero placers. Let me repeat, the third largest county in the state had zero placers. Joe mentioned this area has a lot of small schools, but it is the big schools in the area that are not keeping pace with the big schools in the rest of the state. Just look at the team state results since the new format. The Ft. Wayne area represents very well in AA and A.

I'm not trying to call out any individuals, teams, etc., but the first step to fixing a problem is to recognize that there is a problem. Years ago FWCS dropped middle school wrestling. Is that the biggest factor? Do other parts of the state conduct their off season differently? I don't know. I am merely a fan. I don't know what can be done to improve wrestling in the greater Ft. Wayne area, but I am sure there are people on this board who could probably come up with some great suggestions or ideas.

I think you could simply add South Bend schools (Mishawaka, Penn, SB Adams, etc) to Fort Wayne and make it a far more competitive (depth-wise) semistate. Even without those schools, I think East Chicago SS has enough depth to still bring a good contingent of wrestlers to state

I will take the Ft. Wayne comment a step further. If you factor out the schools that are on the periphery of the semi state, Ft. Wayne area wrestling had a very poor showing this past weekend. I see the core of the Ft. Wayne area as Allen, Dekalb, Steuben, Lagrange, Noble, Whitley, Adams, Jay, Wells, Huntington, and Wabash counties. From those counties there were 6 placers total: 3-8th, 2-7th, 1-5th. Three of those were from Adams County. Allen county had zero placers. Let me repeat, the third largest county in the state had zero placers. Joe mentioned this area has a lot of small schools, but it is the big schools in the area that are not keeping pace with the big schools in the rest of the state. Just look at the team state results since the new format. The Ft. Wayne area represents very well in AA and A.

I'm not trying to call out any individuals, teams, etc., but the first step to fixing a problem is to recognize that there is a problem. Years ago FWCS dropped middle school wrestling. Is that the biggest factor? Do other parts of the state conduct their off season differently? I don't know. I am merely a fan. I don't know what can be done to improve wrestling in the greater Ft. Wayne area, but I am sure there are people on this board who could probably come up with some great suggestions or ideas.

I have been interested recently on the the re-alignments we had.  When did Wawasee, Warsaw, and Plymouth all change to Merriville/East Chicago?  Who did we replace them with? What all schools changed?

You are right about Allen County not producing like it should.  FWCS dropping middle school definitely did not help they use to produce at least a few state placers and even had years with multiple State champs. The surrounding schools have never been big wrestling schools and many families have moved to those. I would put Carroll, Leo, New Haven and Homestead on the radar for the schools that need to start producing more, unless we can get FWCS to get back to it's glory days.  But that may be more difficult since there are many more factors that go into it.  Sports are one of the first things to go in a public school system that is already struggling for funding and keeping their head above the water just meeting the testing requirements they now have.  Just look at the bus crisis they have.  Many kids have to walk to school and in many places there isn't even side walks along the path to the school. So do you think they have buses that run for extra curricular activities? It is a pretty tough battle.  The sad thing is we all know what the wonderful sport of wrestling can do for those kids that may have other things missing in their life.

Carroll has stepped up and been doing their job.  They have a couple years with tough Friday nights but I am sure that will come around.  Leo had a great year last year and it was a little down this year with just missing punching the ticket for a couple kids. New Haven qualified a couple and gave it run.  Homestead qualified one and had 2 last year with one placer (We are working hard to make that even better).

I know the Warrior Elite has been doing a good job of getting some quality kids in there but that can be expensive for some families.  Carroll runs a RTC that any wrestler can go to with a USA wrestling card and when someone gets back with us from the ISWA, Homestead would like to run a RTC on Tuesdays.

So things are being done in Allen County but the FWCS problem is a difficult one.

With that said there is probably a good chance that both Carroll and Homestead will move into the SAC. (FWCS conference) Since we got kicked out of the NHC a few years ago because they were scared of us.

We weren't scared of anything. Edited by littlevito

Delaware county had 3 state champs (Curtis, Laughlin, Gray) as well as putting 5 (Curtis, Hunt, Laughlin, Gray, Maddox) of 28 guys into the finals. So yeah, pretty safe to say that Delaware county has been keeping the FWSS above water for the last few years. And our state champs from the FWSS are usually from Delware County or in places close to Fort Wayne (Pepple & March from East Noble, Norton from Carroll, Woods from Leo, etc..) not from Fort Wayne. I'm having a hard time thinking of the last guy from the actual city of Fort Wayne to win a state title.... Looks like we need to #MakeFortWayneWrestlingGreatAgain 

Edited by ILUV2PIN

Delaware county had 3 state champs (Curtis, Laughlin, Gray) as well as putting 5 (Curtis, Hunt, Laughlin, Gray, Maddox) of 28 guys into the finals. So yeah, pretty safe to say that Delaware county has been keeping the FWSS above water for the last few years. And our state champs from the FWSS are usually from Delware County or in places close to Fort Wayne (Pepple & March from East Noble, Norton from Carroll, Woods from Leo, etc..) not from Fort Wayne. I'm having a hard time thinking of the last guy from the actual city of Fort Wayne to win a state title.... Looks like we need to #MakeFortWayneWrestlingGreatAgain 

Carroll is Fort Wayne. Hence the name Fort Wayne Carroll.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.