Team USA World Cup Finals vs Iran! Watch LIVE

devildog47959

Team USA is in the world cup finals against host Iran

Iran is the 5X defending world cup champion and Team USA has not won the WC since 2003

Fans can watch Live starting at approx 8:30 am ET via Track Wrestling:

http://s200.trackwrestling.com/tw/Stream.jsp?eventStreamId=123522011

Team USA went 3-0 in their pool defeating Georgia, Russia, & Azerbaijan

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/February/17/US-advances-to-World-Cup-final-with-4-4-win-over-Azerbaijan

David Taylor has had a coming out party on the international scene in this world cup defeating multiple Olympic and World medalists including 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist and 2016 Olympic Bronze Medalist Sharif Sharifov of Azerbaijan, winning 12-2

Taylor will face the 2016 Olympic Champion at 74 KG in the match vs Iran

Go Team USA!

Edited by devildog47959

I went to Iran in 2000 for the Tahkti Cup. Hands down the best wrestling trip I had ever been on. The Iranian people are by far the most passionate and knowledgeable wrestling fans in the world....other than those who will be a Banker's Life this weekend,

A little history lesson for a Friday...the World Cup originated in Toledo, Ohio. Joe Scalzo, Sr who lived in Toledo was the Vice President of Fila at the time. The event was held in Toledo from 1973-1992 with the exception of 2 years. The USA won the World Cup and beat the Soviet Union for the first time in 1980. I was there to witness it. 

Joe Scalzo Sr was a coach, referee or administrator at every Olympic Games from 1952-1984. He passed away in 1986. I wore a lapel pin that belonged to him on my suit jacket when Fila made us wear the coat and ties. So a little part of Joe made it to one more Olympics.

Anyone watch the Green match? How was he put on the shot clock twice? First time I understand, but second time he was being the aggressor it looked like. I thought it was based of activity? Anyone see it mind clarifying the rule to put him on it the 2nd time?

I thought the same thing, I was really confused.

The answer is pretty clear...who is he wrestling and where are they wrestling...the answer Iran/Iran. They get the benefit of the doubt

That's what I was figuring on that. Since shot clock is judges discretion just wanted to confirm what I was thinking.

David Taylor is on fire this weekend. Big win against Yazdani.

Iran pulls of the HWT match to win. USA with a respectably close runner-up finish.

Irans underhooks just slowed us down and ate us alive in several matches. We know that's their bread and butter every year, but still most can't find an answer for it.

Edited by MattM

Anyone watch the Green match? How was he put on the shot clock twice? First time I understand, but second time he was being the aggressor it looked like. I thought it was based of activity? Anyone see it mind clarifying the rule to put him on it the 2nd time?

Green was hosed! Clearly the aggressor in the final period. We should have won the dual.

Green was hosed! Clearly the aggressor in the final period. We should have won the dual.

He spent a lot of time battling upper body with Iran. That rarely work in out favor and in his match took a lot of time off the clock.

Trackwrestling has dual scores locked up at 13-13. Coming down to 125 kg match.

Should be a good one and winner takes home the GOLD.

How does dual scoring work in freestyle? The scores I kept seeing yesterday looked like each win was worth 1 point regardless of margin but that wouldn't make sense with 13-13 going into 125kg. 

A lot of times the results will be posted as the number of matches won in the dual.

But it is actually scored for team points based on how you won the match.

If I recall correctly the points are awarded:

3-0 for a win

3-1 for a when with opponent scoring.

4-0 for a tech

4-1 for a tech with opponent scoring

5-0 for a pin.

Edited by MattM

I went to Iran in 2000 for the Tahkti Cup. Hands down the best wrestling trip I had ever been on. The Iranian people are by far the most passionate and knowledgeable wrestling fans in the world....other than those who will be a Banker's Life this weekend,

A little history lesson for a Friday...the World Cup originated in Toledo, Ohio. Joe Scalzo, Sr who lived in Toledo was the Vice President of Fila at the time. The event was held in Toledo from 1973-1992 with the exception of 2 years. The USA won the World Cup and beat the Soviet Union for the first time in 1980. I was there to witness it. 

Joe Scalzo Sr was a coach, referee or administrator at every Olympic Games from 1952-1984. He passed away in 1986. I wore a lapel pin that belonged to him on my suit jacket when Fila made us wear the coat and ties. So a little part of Joe made it to one more Olympics.

WOW, awesome! Thanks for sharing I did not know all of that 

Really awesome and I have to respect the Iran team for their commitment to this sport the entire country is behind them, that atmosphere was electric! 

We are gaining ground had a great tournament as a team!

Stieber wins we win and DT was incredible, the best I ever have seen him wrestle. He beat the worlds best this tournament his confidence has to be at an all time high! I see this as his breakthrough and see him holding down 86K for team USA 

I know theres Dake and Cox but if Taylor wrestles like this he won't be beat!

Exciting times for team USA and I love Zaddick as coach!

David Taylor stuck Hassan Yazdanicharati!

I was freaking out!! Got me all jacked up!!!

Great way to start my day now just a few more hours until the doors open at the Bank!

The Iranians get in a stance with their legs way back (almost impossible to get to them), then dig the under hooks. As soon as our guys would get out of position they would throw it by for two, or drop behind a leg and shelf it. Our wizzer defense from there was worthless. They rarely took a shot, but we were on the clock the majority of the time. Tough to watch.

The Iranians get in a stance with their legs way back (almost impossible to get to them), then dig the under hooks. As soon as our guys would get out of position they would throw it by for two, or drop behind a leg and shelf it. Our wizzer defense from there was worthless. They rarely took a shot, but we were on the clock the majority of the time. Tough to watch.

Seemed to me their main goal was simply to drive the underhook and work for the pushout, especially in the DT match.

Not really a lot of offense but with them continuously coming forward our guys were always on their heels and being put on the clock because of it. Also, the whole "wrestling Iran in Iran" thing doesn't help with us getting the calls of course.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.