What it's really all about...family!

grecoref

I saw a commercial the other day on the BTN with Ashneault from Rutgers saying 'If you wrestle me, you have to wrestle my entire family."

I think it was Jim Gibbons who said "When you go out for wrestling your entire family goes out for wrestling too

My family was the same way. When I first went out for wrestling, my dad was against it. He didn't understand it much. It didn't take long for him to catch on and fully support me. He grew to love the sport and was my biggest fan.

When my mom moved from our family home to a retirement community, I found brackets and wall charts from tournaments I forgot I wrestled in.
My brother, sister-in-law and niece faithfully followed me around.

I have met so many great wrestling families over the years. People who truly care about one another and support each other.
So, if this is your first trip, your umpteenth, or your last trip to the State Finals, I wish you the best. Most importantly, don't forget to enjoy the journey.
Edited by grecoref

Tom, I pose to you this question...Who has the worse butterflies in the belly, the kid wrestling on Friday night at Market Square/Banker's Life or the parents of said kid??

Terry Brands' wife told me it is much more difficult watching their son, Nelson wrestle than it was watching Terry. I know it's much tougher on the parents.

We have met so many great families that have become great friends through this sport.  Wrestlers, coaches, officials and their families that became part of your journey as you became part of theirs.  Our own family did not always understand the commitment, the practices, the travel, the expense, the sacrifices that were made....but our wrestling family did.  Because they were making those same sacrifices.  State is a special time to catch up with our wrestling family and pick up right where we left off years ago.  The kids are grown and many still involved and giving back to the sport, just another confirmation the sacrifices were worth it and maybe we did something right!

Our time has come and gone and left us with so many precious memories, but for those in the arena now....remember to take the time and ENJOY every aspect of your journey with your family and your wrestler.  Good luck to all the participants and families that are taking a few extra steps in your journeys this weekend, for when you look back years later as we do now, you will realize how great this moment really is!  Look forward to seeing you all there.

Steve & Lisa Sandefer

Edited by SharkBit

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.