Team Race

TeamGarcia

My picks in order

1. Brownsburg - 8 wrestlers, 5 with a decent shot at a title, a couple others should advance. I don't think anyone will be close to them

2. Yorktown -  They bring 7 with a couple that could win it all. They have a couple of tough first round matches (Stephenson vs Triana, Rutter vs Noah Warren) where they could lose a couple guys early. But they always wrestle solid, manage the score and are potential for a good run

3. Chesterton - 6 wrestlers. Both Davison brothers are a threat to title. I think Pokorney and Lemley both could win a couple matches for them. If either of the Tolin brothers get through the first round then I like their changes to possibly challenge Yorktown for #2

4. Cathedral - Also 7 wrestlers. Bailey, Slivka, Melloh, Stewart could have deep runs. I think Oliver exits early, but 145 Rodgers got a favorable first round draw and could get some team points. Guhl would be a bonus but I see him losing in first round

5. Portage - 8 wrestlers but I think 4 or 5 don't score after being eliminated Friday night. Peele, Poynter, and possibly Torres could place. Rumph and McIntosh could challenge for title, but both would have to wrestle lights out to get there as the path is steep.

6. Columbus East - only 5 wrestlers, but some real potential for big points. Both Rooks brothers could legitimately challenge for title so they could each score 20+ team points. Combest has a favorable draw as the #1/2/3 guys are on the opposite side of the bracket. If Schoenegge makes a nice early run and if Pollitt can win that opening round against Cathedral freshman Rodgers then they could pass Portage

7. Avon - Again only 5 wrestlers but they have some big guns. I have Garcia winning it all. Larson gets put on the Parris side of the bracket so that might limit his points. Rioux is great and he could make the difference in team placement but he has some tough opponents. Both Conley and Clark should win first round, then get challenged in the 2nd round.  Avon could finish as high as 5th I think but just doesn't have the numbers or the draws to climb higher

Cosgrove if i had to guess, any team that advances 4 thru to saturday has a chance at a top 3. I think Columbus East has a state contender.

I see Hobart getting Triana, Black and Fattore through (my pick has each of them in the finals with 2 champs).  Colza's first match should be an exciting one with Stroud, but I think it is a 50-50.

3. Chesterton - 6 wrestlers. Both Davison brothers are a threat to title. I think Pokorney and Lemley both could win a couple matches for them. If either of the Tolin brothers get through the first round then I like their changes to possibly challenge Yorktown for #2

I think Lemley and Pokorney both do MORE than win a couple of matches.  I think they are both underrated in the rankings.

I see Hobart getting Triana, Black and Fattore through (my pick has each of them in the finals with 2 champs). Colza's first match should be an exciting one with Stroud, but I think it is a 50-50.

I think Lemley and Pokorney both do MORE than win a couple of matches. I think they are both underrated in the rankings.

Both under ranked at #5

I see Hobart getting Triana, Black and Fattore through (my pick has each of them in the finals with 2 champs).  Colza's first match should be an exciting one with Stroud, but I think it is a 50-50.

I think Lemley and Pokorney both do MORE than win a couple of matches.  I think they are both underrated in the rankings.

Personally, I like Lemley's path. He will face Bane from Richmond and I think Lemley has a shot to win that match and go to the finals.

Much tougher path for Pokorney - he would have McClaine from Lebanon in round 2. McClaine has beat everyone he's wrestled this year not named Mason Parris, so he is very legit threat. After that, it's likely Pokorney would see Maddox from Daleville in round 3.  So, although not impossible, it's going to be tough for the youngster to score major points for the team

Both under ranked at #5

Are you asking a question?  Or making a statement.  I think Lemley has a legit shot at the finals and while Pokorney's road is tough it is doable for him.  In some weights the likelihood of a #5 making the finals seems slim.  In others the separation between #1 and #5 is tighter.  I guess I'm just saying that the top 5 here are all very competitive to make it to the finals.

Yea after the draws I think they both have a nice shot to be in the finals. But to say under ranked I think is stretching it. I'll give in and say Diego at 5 maybe since 3 &4 are finished.

220- was just pinned by #9 at the regional and lost to Alex Cartwright laville I think #5 is closer to being right.

Yea after the draws I think they both have a nice shot to be in the finals. But to say under ranked I think is stretching it. I'll give in and say Diego at 5 maybe since 3 &4 are finished.

220- was just pinned by #9 at the regional and lost to Alex Cartwright laville I think #5 is closer to being right.

Bottom line, I was not really complaining about the rankings.  Just predicting that they will place higher than the ranking listed.

Bottom line, I was not really complaining about the rankings. Just predicting that they will place higher than the ranking listed.

I agree, obviously Chesterton needs both to keep winning to have a shot at the championship. Lemley has been wrestling great he avenged his only in state loss 3x now and it looks like his Illinois loss will win the 2A title. Eli can wrestle with anyone(minus Paris) when he wrestles his match. It could be a good weekend for the Trojans

It's been a couple years since I followed the State Finals & I am watching on the TrackWrestling site. For this Quarterfinal round, do Pins/Tech Falls/Majors count toward the Team Points? Thought they decided not to use those bonus points several years ago & TrackWrestling seems to be removing those points.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question or something that has been covered before.

Thanks Matt.

For those who attended tonight & stayed til the end, did they announce the team scores?

By my count, the top 6 are:

Brownsburg 24.5

Chesterton 21

Portage 18

Cathedral 17

Yorktown 16

Avon 15.5

These are the scores when you add up each wrestler's points in the Team Results pages.

But when I click on Team Scores at Track Wrestling, it shows Brownsburg-21, Ches/Port/Cath-15, York/Avon-12. It's like the site removed all pin/tech fall/major points. 

I emailed TrackWrestling & here was their response. Did the IHSAA really decide to exclude any points earned by Pins, TechFalls, Majors in tonight's matches??? If so, did they announce that SIGNIFICANT CHANGE before the tournament started? That could really impact the outcome!

"It appears that the IHSAA made a last minute decision to withhold tonight's activity points. The event director is making those adjustments.

Please direct any further concerns about this issue directly to the IHSAA."

I emailed TrackWrestling & here was their response. Did the IHSAA really decide to exclude any points earned by Pins, TechFalls, Majors in tonight's matches??? If so, did they announce that SIGNIFICANT CHANGE before the tournament started? That could really impact the outcome!

"It appears that the IHSAA made a last minute decision to withhold tonight's activity points. The event director is making those adjustments.[/size]

Please direct any further concerns about this issue directly to the IHSAA."[/size]

Interesting ?

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick%20resources/winter%20Bulletin.pdf

I found this at the top of page 82 of the IHSAA Winter Bulletin. Based on the last sentence below, it certainly appears that TrackWrestling is correct and that ZERO Team Points will be awarded for Pins/TechFalls/Majors in tonight's opening round.

VII Scoring

Individual and team scoring shall be decided according to Rule 9 in the current Wrestling Rules. Six places shall be awarded at the sectional. Team scoring in the sectional shall begin at the quarter‐finals level and not before. Only four places shall be awarded at the regional and semi‐state levels.  Scoring at the Regional, and Semi‐State level will begin at the round of eight.   Team scoring at the State meet will begin during the opening round with advancement points.

Is this a change from the scoring used for past State Finals tournaments? Granted, I'm just a fan but it seems like a strange decision to me. There are no byes or forfeits & no easy matches at this level. In my opinion, if you pin any opponent in the State Finals, you earned those bonus points-- whether that occurs on Friday or Saturday shouldn't matter. 

Track wrestling shows the points being subtracted with a listing like "160 Friday night " I honestly thought it was a coaches misconduct at first...but then the 2.0 deduction didn't make any sense

Where do you see those detailed deductions on TrackWrestling? I don't see those details (but I am not a paid subscriber either).

Based on a quick review of Team Scores, it looks like these teams are incorrect.

Bellmont - 3 wrestlers advanced. Site shows 10 points, should be 9 points-- won by major at 170 but the Event Director has not posted the 1 point deduction.

Lawrenceburg - 2 advanced. Site shows 4 points, should be 6 points-- won by pin at 220 but the Event Director apparently posted a duplicate 2 point deduction.

Laf Harrison - 1 advanced. Site shows 5 points, should be 3 points-- won by pin at 220 & the Event Director apparently posted this 2 point deduction to Lawrenceburg instead of Laf Harrison (those wrestlers are in the same bracket).

Where do you see those detailed deductions on TrackWrestling? I don't see those details (but I am not a paid subscriber either).

In the event, click on Teams at the upper right and you will see a list of teams with their scores. Click on any team score to see the breakdown of points

I agree with you, those activity points should be awarded

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.