Most Impressive/Improved

bluechipper

As we roll into our final week of the 2016-17, what wrestlers or teams have impressed you the most?

Individuals

Brayden Lowery, 106 of Perry Meridian - I was unsure about Lowery in the beginning of the season. He started off with a hot 16-0 start then received his only two losses at Team State, from there, he's caught fire avenging a loss to Drake Campbell and defeating old middle school foe Logan Bailey en route to a phenomenal semi-state run. I hope to see him do well this weekend.

Alec Viduya, 113 of Roncalli - I had no idea about who this kid was but found it interesting he gave now inactive Brayden Littell his closest matches all year. Viduya has proven his skills time and again by going up against one of the best Indiana has in Skylour Turner, a three-time place winner, and beating him each time. I wish Littell was still in the mix to see these two square off once more, but I'm looking forward to his showdown with Asa Garcia.

Tyce Freije, 120 of Roncalli - A freshman with seven losses took second in the region tournament only to win the semi-state the following weekend. Not only did he just win, but he pinned the entire field. That alone is impressive.

Isaiah McWilliams, 285 of South Bend Washington - He went from holding seven losses to being #1 and undefeated at his weight not to mention, he's a foot shorter than the competition and dominant.

I assume those are two different categories as you can be impressive without improvement. If so...

Any list of most impressive has to include Joe Lee. Someone mentioned in another thread he had not given up an offensive point to an opponent this year. And he put all four losses on your number 4 ranked wrestler. Hard to beat someone the quality of Bethel four times in a row. 

Jimtown's Gimson bros. - They took that step from very good to great between their freshman and sophomore seasons.

LaVille's Alex Cartwright - JV as a freshman to being one questionable call away from being a state finalist as a sophomore.

Wawasee's Program - Program has done a 180.  Kids wrestle with passion.  Coaches doing a great job.

Rennsy Central's Eli Hickman - Freshman semi state champ.  No one outside of Jasper Co. would have predicted it.

Chesterton's Lucas Davison - Ticket rounder last year.  State title contender this year.

I think some strong freshman performers in weights above 126 (# freshmen thins out from there on up, though feel free to argue with a lower weight than this :) )

132- Manzona Bryant (Beat Prado by more points than Tolin to take 3rd @ EC SS, while getting tech'd by Reitz he did put Reitz on his back for nearfall...)

138- the dynamic duo of Graham Calhoun and Jacob LaPlace (took 3rd and 4th respectively behind Rumph and Black...)

160- Jacob Atkins @ 160 is the highest weight class to qualify for the State finals.  Had a phenomenal 2nd 1/2 of the season from placing @ the Al Smith to a state series run with losses only to Micha Calhoun and Diego Lemley.

As we roll into our final week of the 2016-17, what wrestlers or teams have impressed you the most?

Individuals

Brayden Lowery, 106 of Perry Meridian - I was unsure about Lowery in the beginning of the season. He started off with a hot 16-0 start then received his only two losses at Team State, from there, he's caught fire avenging a loss to Drake Campbell and defeating old middle school foe Logan Bailey en route to a phenomenal semi-state run. I hope to see him do well this weekend.

Alec Viduya, 113 of Roncalli - I had no idea about who this kid was but found it interesting he gave now inactive Brayden Littell his closest matches all year. Viduya has proven his skills time and again by going up against one of the best Indiana has in Skylour Turner, a three-time place winner, and beating him each time. I wish Littell was still in the mix to see these two square off once more, but I'm looking forward to his showdown with Asa Garcia.

Tyce Freije, 120 of Roncalli - A freshman with seven losses took second in the region tournament only to win the semi-state the following weekend. Not only did he just win, but he pinned the entire field. That alone is impressive.

Isaiah McWilliams, 285 of South Bend Washington - He went from holding seven losses to being #1 and undefeated at his weight not to mention, he's a foot shorter than the competition and dominant.

I love Viduya's chances, but Asa Garcia did beat Littell, which would trump Viduya's close loss (see above).  In fact I'll  pick Viduya to win State.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.