Indiana Frosh-Soph North Qualifier

trackgopher

I want to thank everyone for attending this year's Indiana Frosh-Soph North Qualifier.  It was a VERY long day, but we made it through and learned a lot of what needs to happen for next year.  I want to open up the floor for anyone else to give suggestions of things we could work on for moving into next year.

Some things that I know we will look at:

• More Mats/Having 5 actual mats
  • More Officials (asked for 7 for 5 mats, but only got our 5).  Though thankfully we had a parent of one of our wrestlers that holds an IHSAA officials license that took his time out to break those officials for lunch/breaks.
  • (If staying with only 5 mats) Moving 3 to one set of bleachers and 2 in front of the other so we can keep the floor clear on the spectator side.  I only know of a few problems with that.
  • Moving weigh in time a little bit/Moving wrestling time.
  • Better Trackwrestling Admin (suggestion from Y2)

We also have a survey that I ask anyone who had a bad experience from the venue to please contact me (PM me here preferably) regarding it, so that I can accurately assist in making the event better for everyone.

Hopefully everyone enjoyed their day, while it was a late day I think it was highly successful.

If possible adding one or two more qualifier location may help with the long day of wrestling and travel time.  It may mean cutting back on how many actually qualify for state, but it could help draw in some more competition too since their travel and cost would be lowered.  Obviously finding the locations, officials, and support is a big part of adding more.

If possible adding one or two more qualifier location may help with the long day of wrestling and travel time.  It may mean cutting back on how many actually qualify for state, but it could help draw in some more competition too since their travel and cost would be lowered.  Obviously finding the locations, officials, and support is a big part of adding more.

Could be the weekend before semi-state.  I know we sent around 10 kids to this and almost all of them were JV or lost in Sectionals.  I also realize this takes a venue and people to work it.  Maybe it can be combined with a local youth tournament in order to combine resources. 

All and all thank you to whoever has put effort towards this.

Could be the weekend before semi-state.  I know we sent around 10 kids to this and almost all of them were JV or lost in Sectionals.  I also realize this takes a venue and people to work it.  Maybe it can be combined with a local youth tournament in order to combine resources. 

I thought about that and combining it with some Regional locations, however the current set up of awarding semi-state Qualifiers seems like a good one to me.  Under your proposal it would mean the Regional qualifiers would either get an automatically state bid or they would have to make weight and wrestleback on back to back days.  That doesn't seem like the best option.  Admitting all regional qualifiers would eliminate several potential participants from the current Fresh/Soph qualifier.  Plus, I like idea of showing you have earned your state qualification through winning enough to reach semi-state.    

The local youth event pairing maybe a good idea, but due to major youth numbers it could end up being a very long day too.  The qualifier for Fresh/Soph could possibly be paired qualifier for another older youth event like Girls State (means shifting it to later in the season) and/or MS State (means moving state back a week or two).  That would allow for coaches to be at the same location which was one issue.  It would also allow more participants but not make the day run as long as if you paired it with a major youth tournament.

With it being a first year tournament, I think it is more about needing to get more mats than more qualifiers.  I know that Fort Wayne is not the preferred location (even for me) after spending all day at a Semi State, but the venue is actually quite nice for running something like this.  Or at least that is what I thought.  I thought that having 16 and 32 man brackets helps our sport, as that gives the athletes the ability to get some quality matches all in the same day, rather than having to go down to Frosh-Soph state and have only wrestled 1-3 times max at the qualifier.  Maybe I am wrong on this, and you can certainly tell me I am.

This was offered to a local club for Sunday, but the event decided that they could not do it for valid reasons.  They brought me and the rest of my volunteers (TrackGopher) in February 3rd to run the tournament.  I have/had many people offer to assist for next year as it definitely will help my club with money.  I already run a tournament the week before, so unless everyone wants to come to Portage for the event, I will not be running it the week prior for next year.

Edited by leggin89

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.