Blind draw for starting weight in the state tourney series.

MooseHWT

Too bad we couldn't do it like the NCAA's and have the most anticipated match at the very end.  Think of how much more money would be made in concessions if Red/Lee was the last match last year.  Poor Samuels, when he threw Streck in the finals last year, only about 20 people saw it...but they went nuts! lol.

Two years ago, we used the most anticipated match to determine the order of wrestlers at the Mooresville Holiday Classic. We didn't do it this year because the new Tourney director didn't want to be tasked with picking the weight class. I have to say, there were a lot more fans in their seats to see the 152 pounders wrestle for a title there than we did this year watching the HWTs. I personally will stick around until the end regardless, but I don't see why this hasn't happened yet. You would only have to decide on Friday night and let the kids know. Think about the number of people (and the amount of money they lost in concessions and such) who would NEVER have left early if 132 was the final last year. 

Too bad we couldn't do it like the NCAA's and have the most anticipated match at the very end. Think of how much more money would be made in concessions if Red/Lee was the last match last year. Poor Samuels, when he threw Streck in the finals last year, only about 20 people saw it...but they went nuts! lol.

Just imagine if that match was first and the 10k fans had seen that throw. The place would have erupted!

The idea of rotating weight, blind draw or vote for the most exciting weight are all good ideasLIKE WRESTLEBACKS! :angry: 

Not trying to start a new thread here b/c I should probably be doing that in the 'Friday night death draw' posts, but if we place the top 8, not just the top 2 then wrestlebacks are essential. Best argument I have seen for this is in comparing to other individual sports like track/swimming where there are heats and multiple athletes move on.  In wrestling you can't compete against more than one other person at a time.

Sorry for the rant- point is good ideas need some pushing or they never happen.

I'll vote for the 195 lb match as this years match to watch for.  Should have some wrestlers with a scoring mentality (I've got it at Davison v. Tonte).  I'd put 138 as close second (i've got Black in the Finals v.???; but Black is entertaining no matter what).

I am with you, 195 is going to be exciting!  Just look at the road that Wilderman or Stewart have to win a title (if they do).  First they have each other (#2 vs #5), then possibly #4 Eli, then possibly #3 Davison, and then if they win all that they may have #1 Tonte in the finals.  Obviously upsets happen which is why I put possibly, but what a road to win!

2 hour break before finals = INDIANAMAT POLL TO DECIDE  FINAL WEIGHT!!!

Really, why would the IHSAA care about what weight they start at? They are like the helicopter parent that sets out Junior's "outfit" the night before

If we were to choose a weight to go last, we'd have to look at each scenario and storyline in play.

126 - Can Colton Cummings survive the war-zone that is this weight class and win a third state championship or will one of his worthy peers emerge victorious? There are six potential state champions in this weight, and it is nerve-wracking.

138 - Brendan Black will most likely lie in wait to face off against the best of the #2, #3, or #4 trio for what would be an epic match no matter who's involved.

145 - Jason Crary knocked off Kasper McIntosh at the Semi-State finals last weekend, and McIntosh has given returning champ, Brayton Lee, his closest match all year. While Brayton Lee looks to turn up the intensity, his foes are looking to give him all he can handle. Stranger things have happened at Bankers Life...

152 - In what could be Joe Lee's final appearance at Bankers Life Fieldhouse (assuming he follows in his brother's footsteps), he looks to ascend to the top of the mountain with a more than capable group of challengers: #2 Noah Warren, #3 Kyle Hatch, and #5 Kenny Kerrn. Scoring a win over this Lee would be a monumental upset, but don't think it cannot happen. I understand there are true locks, but I'm hesitant to call Joe a definite lock. It's not taking away from his abilities or his accomplishments what so ever, but he has been beat before; twice last season to Jared Timberman and Austin Bethel, and twice in 2015 to Brandon James and Tommy Cash. Hatch, Warren, and Kerrn are all returning placers with Kerrn's lone loss coming from Hatch by a slim 6-4 decision, while Warren only carries a 10-6 loss to Brayton Lee. This weight class seems to have the highest stakes and the biggest star in Indiana to lead it. Can the Penn State commit keep his dominance in tact or will his reign come to an end? Some of you reading this may think it sounds silly, but I remember a forum said no one would come within four points Vinny Corsaro in 2014, he lost; 2015 for sure saw Brandon James claiming a brass ring, well, he was unable to; 2016, Kobe Woods was going to lock up with Mason Parris for the 220 lb. championship, but he didn't make it back... You see the trend? No one is 100% safe. Mason Parris would be as close as they come, but even then, I would like to think Larson poses as a worthy challenge. Back to the point, however, 152 has a lot of interesting stories alone and potential.

195 - Can Tristen Tonte finally capture the proverbial brass ring or will Davison, Stewart, or Wilderman make the braided-haired warrior a three-time runner-up?

If we were to choose a weight to go last, we'd have to look at each scenario and storyline in play.

126 - Can Colton Cummings survive the war-zone that is this weight class and win a third state championship or will one of his worthy peers emerge victorious? There are six potential state champions in this weight, and it is nerve-wracking.

138 - Brendan Black will most likely lie in wait to face off against the best of the #2, #3, or #4 trio for what would be an epic match no matter who's involved.

145 - Jason Crary knocked off Kasper McIntosh at the Semi-State finals last weekend, and McIntosh has given returning champ, Brayton Lee, his closest match all year. While Brayton Lee looks to turn up the intensity, his foes are looking to give him all he can handle. Stranger things have happened at Bankers Life...

152 - In what could be Joe Lee's final appearance at Bankers Life Fieldhouse (assuming he follows in his brother's footsteps), he looks to ascend to the top of the mountain with a more than capable group of challengers: #2 Noah Warren, #3 Kyle Hatch, and #5 Kenny Kerrn. Scoring a win over this Lee would be a monumental upset, but don't think it cannot happen. I understand there are true locks, but I'm hesitant to call Joe a definite lock. It's not taking away from his abilities or his accomplishments what so ever, but he has been beat before; twice last season to Jared Timberman and Austin Bethel, and twice in 2015 to Brandon James and Tommy Cash. Hatch, Warren, and Kerrn are all returning placers with Kerrn's lone loss coming from Hatch by a slim 6-4 decision, while Warren only carries a 10-6 loss to Brayton Lee. This weight class seems to have the highest stakes and the biggest star in Indiana to lead it. Can the Penn State commit keep his dominance in tact or will his reign come to an end? Some of you reading this may think it sounds silly, but I remember a forum said no one would come within four points Vinny Corsaro in 2014, he lost; 2015 for sure saw Brandon James claiming a brass ring, well, he was unable to; 2016, Kobe Woods was going to lock up with Mason Parris for the 220 lb. championship, but he didn't make it back... You see the trend? No one is 100% safe. Mason Parris would be as close as they come, but even then, I would like to think Larson poses as a worthy challenge. Back to the point, however, 152 has a lot of interesting stories alone and potential.

195 - Can Tristen Tonte finally capture the proverbial brass ring or will Davison, Stewart, or Wilderman make the braided-haired warrior a three-time runner-up?

if they get rough with Tonte, they can win.  Its the one thing I have seen get him off of his game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.