Middle schoolers who could place

ontherise219

On 2/14/2017 at 0:08 AM, throw45 said:

First time all year OTR has disappointed me with a DUMB post.  Middle schoolers are just that in Indiana, middle schoolers.  They will have their glory on this page, but not today...there is a forum called youth and middle school designated just for them!!

I didn't think it was a dumb post then I doubt it less today 

On 2/14/2017 at 1:08 AM, throw45 said:

First time all year OTR has disappointed me with a DUMB post.  Middle schoolers are just that in Indiana, middle schoolers.  They will have their glory on this page, but not today...there is a forum called youth and middle school designated just for them!!

It is not that serious chill man I have seen multiple schoolers that could qualify for high school state 

Mendez could win state at 106-113 as an 7th grader and 113-132 as an 8th grader. 

He just beat two Indiana state place winners and one Kentucky state place winner yesterday as a 7th grader  

We know Nick Lee won as a 7th grader. Who did he beat in his path? One big name I remember is Hayden lee...who else?

32 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Mendez could win state at 106-113 as an 7th grader and 113-132 as an 8th grader. 

He just beat two Indiana state place winners and one Kentucky state place winner yesterday as a 7th grader  

We know Nick Lee won as a 7th grader. Who did he beat in his path? One big name I remember is Hayden lee...who else?

Jesse is an 8th grader, but a stud none the less !!!!   Great Job on his victory yesterday and as previously stated by numerous people he is a great kid !

I know his time spent on the Brownsburg Elementary Team State Dual team really shaped his life and his wrestling abilities............so there is that !

#TheCounty  #PainTrain

I just tweeted this, four middle school wrestlers have made the finals

3 champs all at 109, Brandon James at the 1st IHPO, Nick Lee at the 2nd, and Jesse Mendez this year. Also Mason Manville made the finals at 155lbs as an 8th grader losing by 1 point to an Illinois state champ.

That's some very good company.

I coached the middle school national team at folkstyle national duals the last handful of years (including the team that took 3rd this year). With this said, very few middle schoolers and incoming freshmen have been able to place in the top 4 at the ihpo. Saw some really good kids come up short yesterday. But... I assure you that a handful of freshmen will place at state this year. The growth of these studs from November til February is typically amazing to see. 

With that said... I will say it again... Jesse is born ready. Look forward to seeing him being our next 4 timer (unless he goes to Blair or something like that). 

Edited by Mattyb

3 hours ago, buscowrestling said:

Curious what high school would Mendez attend if he stayed in his current district?

He is in the Lake Central/ Crown Point area.  But speculation has been he may end up across state lines with Alex Tsirtsis  at Mt. Carmel in IL.  

Edited by MattM

14 hours ago, Mattyb said:

I coached the middle school national team at folkstyle national duals the last handful of years (including the team that took 3rd this year). With this said, very few middle schoolers and incoming freshmen have been able to place in the top 4 at the ihpo. Saw some really good kids come up short yesterday. But... I assure you that a handful of freshmen will place at state this year. The growth of these studs from November til February is typically amazing to see. 

With that said... I will say it again... Jesse is born ready. Look forward to seeing him being our next 4 timer (unless he goes to Blair or something like that). 

I agree with you completely, and also thank you for your time & effort you give to these kids. On this whole topic of Jr high kids wrestling in high school I believe it is fine , if a younger kid is good enough to complete at that level, why would we won't to restrict that? Do we not continually seek the best competition we can, to try and make our wrestlers better? Some restrictions that we put in place will only restrict our progress in the long run. My son Bryer wrestled for you at the heartland duals in Iowa earlier this year. He's a freshman this season & has been working his tail off . He wrestled IHPO this weekend at 129 & faced the #2 seed in the 2nd round ( Hassan Johnson ) last years  IHPO Champion. I honestly didn’t think he had a chance, but he surprised me again with his throw caution to the wind and go for broke style of wrestling that seems to wear people down & pulled out a big upset. Bryer did not place but he did win some big matches against some really good competition in a 64 man bracket. Again thank you for your time and the compliments you gave my son before, it means alot to these young men. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.