Semi-State Scoring

XCard

VII Scoring

Individual and team scoring shall be decided according to Rule 9 in the current Wrestling Rules. Six places shall be awarded at the sectional. Team scoring in the sectional shall begin at the quarter‐finals level and not before. Only four places shall be awarded at the regional and semi‐state levels.  Scoring at the Regional, and Semi‐State level will begin at the round of eight.   Team scoring at the State meet will begin during the opening round with advancement points.

So my question is, when do we start scoring? Looking at results from last year, it appears that the first round was scored at the Semi-State level. Was the bulletin different last year?

From the May 5, 2015 minutes

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about%20ihsaa/minutes/2014-15/050415.pdf

1. Change team scoring to begin in the first round of three levels of the state tournament – regional,    semi‐state, and state finals. A motion to approve the proposal was made by Paul Neidig; seconded by Steve Cox; motion approved 17‐0.

From the May 5, 2015 minutes

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about%20ihsaa/minutes/2014-15/050415.pdf

1. Change team scoring to begin in the first round of three levels of the state tournament – regional,    semi‐state, and state finals. A motion to approve the proposal was made by Paul Neidig; seconded by Steve Cox; motion approved 17‐0.

So now the first round means something.   Maybe some people just thought how silly it is not to score the first round.

What is the reasoning for not scoring the first round of semi state?

The coaches told the IHSAA that the rat-tail round at sectional "wasn't fair" since it was random and got them to declare that round as non-scoring. Thus when we went to the scoring at regional, semi-state, and state the IHSAA wanted to be consistent with only scoring the quarter-finals onward.

Thanks. I was just curious as to why they wouldn't change it in the bulletin. You da man Y2!

I asked about the same thing earlier in the year.  I'm guessing they just didn't look at all the details.

I had the pleasure of asking Faulkens last year at ECC about this. He told me I was wrong and then Y2 sent me that above information and I showed him and then he said "oh, must have missed that meeting".

You took one for the team, the whole Indiana wrestling community thanks you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.