Frosh/Soph State (2nd chance state)

This Sunday (2/12) any Freshman or Sophomore not advancing to State is eligible for this tournament. Will a lot of wrestlers show interest in this tournament, or just call it a season? I know other states have this kind of tournament so it will be interesting to see how this develops in the future but I think it's a great idea!

North qualifier - Fort Wayne Coliseum

South qualifier - Evansville Ford Center

Pre-registration is open on trackwrestling.com 

To clarify all freshman or sophomore that didn't make Semi-State are eligible for the Freah/Soph Qualifier. Those wrestlers who made Semi-State are automatically entered for the Fresh/Soph State event (after paying the entry fee).

http://www.trackwrestling1.com/tw/uploads/P-238368009-Indiana_Frosh_Soph_State_upload.pdf

Edited by MattM

To clarify the Qualifier is for any freshman or sophomore not qualified for Semi-State is eligible. With Semi-State wrestlers automatically advancing to that state event.

http://www.trackwrestling1.com/tw/uploads/P-238368009-Indiana_Frosh_Soph_State_upload.pdf

Thank you for the clarification!

First year for both Fresh/Soph State and Girls State.  So we will have to wait an see on that question.  For year one it seemed like Girls State went well.  Hopefully Fresh/Soph STate is a successful event.  The more mat time the better

I'm trying to get caught up on all the events. Thanks for the quick reply. I agree, never enough mat time and exposure to other wrestlers.

I asked my son. He doesn't want to

Go. Made it to regionals. He was devestated when he lost and says it's not the same. He plays baseball too so that could be a part of it. Won't leave the room till the last kid done either way , just doesn't want to compete right now.

257 Freshman and Sophomores have qualified for the IHSAA Semi-States (of the 896 slots) ... congrats to them!  

They have been imported into the Indiana Frosh-Soph State Championships and can participate by merely being present.   They are not permitted in the Qualfiers, as we hope to give another 12 wrestlers per weight class per Qualfier a chance at advancing. 

257 Freshman and Sophomores have qualified for the IHSAA Semi-States (of the 896 slots) ... congrats to them!

Do I need brush up on my abacus calculations some or am I reading this as a possible 64-man state bracket Per weight? I thought the point of the qualifier to help narrow the field to a reasonable size. Edited by MattM

Do I need brush up on my abacus calculations some or am I reading this as a possible 64-man state bracket Per weight? I thought the point of the qualifier to help narrow the field to a reasonable size.

9th and 10th graders qualified for 257 of the 896 semi-state slots in the IHSAA tournament. 

Edited by maligned

We will be hopefully adding 24 wrestlers to the State Event from each weight class ... 12 from each Qualifier.   So if you add 24 to each imported number from the State Event (SS Qualifiers), you would have maximums.  The tourney is two days, and wrestles down to the top 12 first day.   Day 2 starts with the Podium Round and Semi's ...

32 and 64 man brackets (even with pigtails) are no problem.   Actually, that would be a great problem.    The highest level of participants would be 593;  257 from the SSQ's and 336 from the Qualifiers.  

If you have youth wrestlers looking for a place to wrestle this weekend, the Tell City Folkstyle Open will be at The Ford Center also. Should be a great experience for young wrestlers to compete on the big stage! There's information in the Tornament section or I'll answer questions the best I can through here.

What about the actual meet my son already qualified

What about the actual meet my son already qualified

For the State meet, weigh in requirements are the same. 4 pound allowance (with shoes and singlet) but they are required to make weigh out weight with an additional 2 lb allowance. If they don't make weigh out weight on Saturday they can make the same 6 pound allowance on Sunday.

For the State meet, weigh in requirements are the same. 4 pound allowance (with shoes and singlet) but they are required to make weigh out weight with an additional 2 lb allowance. If they don't make weigh out weight on Saturday they can make the same 6 pound allowance on Sunday.

Any reason why there is a weigh-out for this meet?  Why are we making this more complex than it has to be?

I know this may be a shot in the dark, but since this is not a IHSAA event can a middle schooler compete.  I know Middle School state is the same day but as a High School coach I am unable to be in two places at once and just checking if my son who is a 7th grader could compete in the High School division.

Edited by Trbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.