Side Officials

WadeDuPont

First I want to say in no way do I want to be an official and greatly appreciate the job they do.

However, what is the exact job of the side official?

In most all sports today the focus is on getting the call correct, therefore the side official should move to positions to assist with calls if needed. Each year I continue to see coaches who probably have a pretty good grasp of the rules ask for the lead official to review with the side official but rarely if ever is a call overturned. So in my curiosity I approached a former official yesterday and asked the question of why this seems to always happen, his response "the side official doesn't want to show the lead official up" I said shouldn't the focus be on getting the call correct? He said yes and here is how I handled it when I officiated..."If a lead official came to me I would tell him exactly what I saw and if his view was different than mine and he kept the original call that his choice."

I am not suggesting we have replay or anything like that just a focus on getting the call correct, if they both see it the same so be it, if not the call gets changed and lets move on.

I am sure the lead official is correct 9 out 10 times, but the focus should be getting the 10th time as correct as the first 9.

Thoughts? Answers?

In the north land we are very blessed that the assistant referee is used often and calls ARE reversed on occasion.  Yesterday, the assistants called locked hands and the conversations (when necessary) seemed to be a genuine exchange.  

As far as video review... I agree with the need for such protocol at the pro/Olympic level, not at high school.  The statement I heard and like to repeat - why don't you just tape the match on Saturday, send the tape to the IHSAA and they will announce the winner in the paper on Monday.  These guys work hard at what they do.  The are evaluated and vetted by the IHSAA.  I am sure that they are all calling each other today to review tough situations and ask for feedback from former officials and colleagues that they trust.  I can't speak about the ones you hire for dual meets, but the ones you saw yesterday take it very seriously and will seek constructive criticism.  

Most importantly, if they screw up there is always a gym full of 'home schooled' referees that will help make them aware of the need for a career change.  One wise official once told me in the locker room, pre-meet convo, "There are 4 paid officials here today.  Once the first whistle blows there will be thousands of them in attendance." 

They stopped a match yesterday at Rochester for over 10 minutes, to make sure they got the call right. Ended up checking with other officials, making the correct call and sent the match into overtime! There are always questionable calls, mostly if I disagree or it is against me....lol

If done correctly, it really depends on the lead official.  If he does feel he could be wrong, he's not going to change the call unless (if he goes ahead and confers) the side official convinces him he was.  If he is not sure, chances of the call being changed are better.  But the official had it right.  The side official's job is to let the lead know what he saw, why he saw it that way and let the lead official make the final determination.  The two need to work together.

This reminds me of a baseball game I called many years ago.  i was the base umpire and a veteran umpire was behind the plate in a hotly contested American Legion game between two of the best teams in the state.  One of the Legion teams was coached by a DI college coach.  One of his players hit a lined shot down the left field line that left the park with the based loaded.  The HP umpire called it foul to the amazement of everyone, including me.  There was a fence behind the HR fence that was higher and it was clear where the ball hit on the back fence it was a far ball.  The college coach went apesh*t.  Almost immediately, the HP Umpire ran out to me in the infield and asked me what I saw.  I told him it looked like it was fair to me but he had the angle and had to make the final call.  I told him not to leave me hanging out to dry.  He turned around and signaled Home Run.  The opposing coach who was also a veteran coach came unglued and ran out at me screaming the whole way.  The HP Umpire, rather than stay and defend the decision and me, turned and ran back to the plate letting me take all the heat.  All I could do is stand there and take it, simply saying that I told him what I saw and he made the call to change it.  I got called every name in the book while my "lead" official stood behind home plate and just kept yelling Let's Play.  I won't say his name but he was a veteran umpire and a HS AD at the time.  Needless to say, I wasn't happy!       

The moral of the story is both officials need to work together.  We got the call right, but damn, that's not the way to go about it.

They stopped a match yesterday at Rochester for over 10 minutes, to make sure they got the call right. Ended up checking with other officials, making the correct call and sent the match into overtime! There are always questionable calls, mostly if I disagree or it is against me....lol

A little hyperbole with respect to ten minutes.  The problem arose from a Track Wrestling quirk.  The two point stall call is not reflected as such in the program.  The wrestlers were held on the mat until the computer problem could be addressed, the match result had been saved.  The correction tied the match and then the restart option was applied according to the rule Penalty Chart for Stalling: "Wrestler B is awarded two match points and will have the choice of position on the next restart. The choice of position on the next restart only applies if the third penalty (2 points) is for stalling. When a stalling call results in a 2-point penalty being awarded, the opponent will have the choice of position on the next restart. The choice of position on the next restart would be carried over to the sudden victory period in overtime if there is no restart prior to overtime."  

You don't see that often at that juncture of a match, and when complicated by technology, delays should be anticipated.  Great call!

It was a great catch by Wawasee's head coach, because it was pointed as a 1 pt stalling call. The opposing kid had an illegal move (think figure 4 around head, I believe) within 30 seconds. Got a stalling call in 2nd and 2nd stalling call 1-2 seconds as time ran out. In all fairness stalling could have been called 2 other times before that. 2 very "long" 5 second delay to return to mat (could go either way). Bands were off and about to shake hands before the Wawasee Coach said wait a minute! Some of the delay was to Track, but it was very meticulously gone over with other officials. Great job, right call.

I've seen more calls reversed the past few years, but it mainly depends on the referee and if he's willing to listen. There are ones I know won't change a call to save their lives and others are open minded. 

When the conversation about how/when to use and assistant referee I always find time to mention the coaches vote.  I have been in this situation before.  What many officials don't realize (especially in the tournament series) is that when you do 'change' your initial call to the 'right' call you WILL get screamed at by one corner.  It is natural.  It is emotional.  The part that great officials realized is that EVERY other coach competing that day is asking themselves - do I have that guy on my match.  Yes, sometimes getting it right means losing part of your seat cushion under your pants, so to speak.  But, it isn't a death sentence to your officiating career (and some refs will tell you it is). It is sometimes an opportunity to show the strength of your integrity and gain some coaches favor in the ratings.  

I know some people are gonna jump on that last statement, but it's true.  I don't want to give anyone the impression that I would change/not change a call to get coaches votes.  Getting the call right does, sometimes lead to better coaches ratings.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.