3A Team State Qualifying: thru State

maligned

The most ironic thing is you still leading with the expression "committee of power" while feigning politicking. I hope people realize it's a group of volunteers that any coach could have joined. And that they've responded with real change to almost every piece of feedback given these first years of the event--and of course don't collect a dime off the hours spent planning, emailing, and meeting. Ok, rant over. Thanks for humoring me, Scholar. I know you don't mean any harm.

Everybody needed a little laugh this morning.    Also,  "We love the "committee of power", and all the volunteer hard work that they put in.

You're missing the point. The IHSAA is not going to just make up rules for wrestling. The tournament, if it ever happens, will have as many classes as the rules say they should (75% rule) and it will be a random draw, and everyone with a team will participate.

I got the point, just wanted to make my point of displeasure with the IHSAA on treating all sports the same. It's not logical and not with the times. Look at football being random draw as well as others. Each sport needs to be treated independently with sport specific thinking. Look at the GD and other sites and this complaint is always brought up. Not saying the IHSAA is the worst organization, as it does well in many other aspects, just not this one.

• 1 month later...

Is it today or tomorrow when the prestigious "Committee of Power" meets to decide the final 2 teams that qualify for the team state.    Now that Harrison got the final spot, the other schools are breathing easier as  this opens up an opportunity for other schools as we know Harrison would have been  a shoe in vote.           Here's my prediction and why. 

1st spot:  Chesterton: They will   be too hard to pass up with two state finalists and a 3rd   returning.   They might have some wholes in the lighter weights,  but their top level big hitters are too much to overlook.  The C.O.P wants big names down at the tournament, and that's what they get with Chesterton.  They also have the "Region" mystique going for them, that's worth a few intimidation points in itself.

2nd spot:  Perry Meridian:     Perry graduated a ton of wrestlers from this years team.  But the guys they have back are pretty good.   No one reloads better than Perry, with always one of the toughest JVs.    They also got that blue blood name going for them.   Still 9 spots will be tough to fill to put them back where they were, and next year still will be a rebuilding year.

1st team out: Crown Point:  I think as a dual team, they probably will be slightly more balanced  than Chesterton and Perry Meridian.  But their problem will be the Heisman effect. I think the C.O.P will be somewhat reluctant to put in two teams from East Chicago.     Just like voting for the Heisman becomes regional,   Chesterton and Crown Points will split some votes.   It will be enough votes to put Perry Meridian ahead.

2nd team out:  Center Grove:  A well coached team with some good very solid kids back. The problem is they had the lowest point score of teams in the vote.  Also haven't heard as much buzz about them, and even though a regular power house, they don't have the blue blood mystique like Crown Point and Perry. 

1st team to the 1st annual NIT tournament:  Hobart:   I guess they don't get enough state returning points, so they don't get a chance to get a vote by the C.O.P.   Last team out sucks.  Some really stud wrestlers, but too many wholes to compete with a team like Harrison.   They will do really good at the NIT,  but I wont be there to watch like the rest of us.   Ill be at Fort Wayne watching.  But if Brickfor wants to come to Fort Wayne and watch the top 12 teams,  Ill be glad to buy him one of those famous Fort Wayne corn dogs. 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Still waiting to hear myself. :) It always starts relatively late in the evening and then everyone involved is straight into the coaches' clinic the next morning.

How many schools declined this year in 3A?

Merrillville declined right away. Cathedral first accepted then decided to decline. CP ended up asking not to be considered in the voting process, though they did provide injury and other info early in the process so they were seemingly on the fence like Cathedral before the final decision.

Edited by maligned

that's good for Perry, but it takes out some of the drama.

I don't think there would have been much drama for Perry. I wasn't in the room, but I collected all the teams' information and put together the team reports. Firstly, had Fair not gotten hurt at regional, they would have been in the event already. More importantly, in the projected lineup the gave us, they've got 3 placers, another state qualifier and a semi-state qualifier starters back, 2 incoming freshmen triple crown winners with big-time national resumes that will be state title contenders, 5 JV guys who have wins over semi-state and state qualifiers between the high school season and recent folkstyle events...and so on and so forth. They've only got 5 starters back, but they've got 50 total high schoolers back before we even talk about their insane incoming 8th grade class. They were only in the vote-in situation because of having so few starters back and because of having several instances of bad luck in the qualifying process. They will be loaded again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.