3A Team State Qualifying: thru State

maligned

Ha...haven't had a chance to respond to all the goofiness that's taken over this thread. I will just say this: the committee has been very thorough in their analysis and made mostly the right choices every year so far--to the extent that they've excluded teams coached by members of the committee or closely connected to members of the committee. Having a huge number of returning starters was absolutely the reason a less-known team like Chesterton, who were never before in the top 20 in the 30 years I've followed Indiana wrestling, were chosen "on faith" and proved they deserved their spot this season. All the committee has to do is look at how Warren fell from being a national power to being roughly the 15th best team in the state--even with a superstar coach--when they lost 10 starters. It won't be lost on them that the same thing could happen to PM. If the process goes how it's gone in the past, things will be examined very closely and PM will only get the spot if they deserve it.

PM will be a strong candidate, but don't assume it's a done deal when there's a team like Harrison, for example, with so much coming back and a higher qualifying score. CP, CG, Castle, Chesterton all look like they'll be loaded next year too. As always, it will be an interesting process.

Edited by maligned

Having a huge number of returning starters was absolutely the reason a less-known team like Chesterton, who were never before in the top 20 in the 30 years I've followed Indiana wrestler, were chosen "on faith" and proved they deserved their spot this season.

Chesterton was the team state champions in 1989, within the last 30 years.. barely

Chesterton was the team state champions in 1989, within the last 30 years.. barely

Ha...my first 5 years of following were mostly limited to the NLC and Goshen regional. It's my 26th year following statewide.

Edited by maligned

Maligned: I appreciate you giving some insight on how the system works. My comments about Blue Bloods were partly in jest, but partly made with real respect to the traditionally strong big schools. I enjoy a good mix of the Blue and the New. It was awesome to watch Chesterton do very well at EC Saturday. Their comments in the paper Sunday were very refreshing as well. The Trojans seem to be a classy bunch. Your committee made a great decision on them and I'm sure you'll select another new, under the radar program, if deserving, this April. Keep up the good work.

the question is where does he fit in? Because he only weighs about 132 because that's what he wrestled at conference this year if I'm not mistaken?

I'm pretty sure South was at 145 for JV Conference.

Cooper will start the CE lifting program and fill out these weights

And you don't have to worry about South needing to lift more get to a certain weight class, that kids been on a solid lifting routine for quite some time. Edited by MattM

the question is where does he fit in? Because he only weighs about 132 because that's what he wrestled at conference this year if I'm not mistaken?

Cooper will start the CE lifting program and fill out these weights

If Mr. South has any of Dads genes he'll be going 152 next and look like a brick wall. JS, Nick dad quite possibly be Hulk little brother!

Nick South wrestled 145 JV for Columbus East this year.. The weights will work themselves out .. East is excited that Nick will be on the Varisty squad for the next two years..

Columbus East strength and Conditioning coach is excellent and gains will be made by all in the offseason ..

Edited by eastdad18

8 of the current top 12 have over 2200 students, only Columbus East falls well below the 2200 mark. The other three are private schools.

Castle and Harrison are under 2200 students, so not entirely true.   They just worked harder and wanted it more to get in the top 12.

Unfortunate that Carroll (Fort Wayne) is effectively going to be stealing a spot from a more deserving team for no other reason than geography.  They wouldn't even be in consideration for a wild card spot if the top 10 automatically qualified, as they are more than 15 points from the 10th team on the list.

Edited by RegionRoyalty

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.