Mater Dei wins 41st consecutive Sectional Title

IU89

and the Super Mileage Engineering team..................

The Super Mileage Team has won numerous National and International titles in events that included some of the best colleges in the World.

It must just be wrestling. They are pretty poor at everything else. Maybe need to pick up their wrestling recruiting budget too.

They must recruit for Volleyball, too.  Lots of state titles and runners up over the last 7 years.  I see Adams Central has a rather storied sports history.

Edited by Forrester

Does Yorktown recruit in all sports, or just wrestling?

They put a lot of hard work into their program. I am always seeing camps, tournaments, and events out of state that they are going to. My son for years have floated between a number of schools wrestling on traveling teams and I can say that we have never been asked to come to their school. Now, maybe Kyle is like his dad and is a dick, but I would say that's probably not the case!

I can think of much bigger culprits of "recruiting" than Yorktown. It's truly easy for people to want to go other places when they go to camps and meet coaches that are extremely nice, truly dedicated to a program, and have fun. That maybe more of the reason they are stingy letting go of someone that moves into their area on their free will. I have always found it interesting how fast some families, namely parents want to jump their kids to programs and when it doesn't go their way they pull them out, blame the program, and run to the next program.

It is the one area where I wish IHSAA would block some of these kids. You get some kids that have been in 3 different schools between 8-12th grade (obviously not talking about true move situations because of a parents job).

Does Yorktown recruit in all sports, or just wrestling?

Did I hurt your feelings?  I'm sorry if the truth in that parochial schools are at an advantage in athletics bothers you.  Yorktown has built one hell of a volleyball program, 2 state titles and 4 runners up over the last 10 years.  3 or those 4 runners up were losses to private schools in the title match.

You'll have to forgive, or at least accept, the fact that public schools harbor a small amount of resentment towards the parochials for their ability to go outside of geographical boundaries and offer "scholarships" to entice athletic talent.

Edited by Forrester

Both sides of the arguement are certainly viable, but I know for a fact that Cathedral does not solely recruit based on athletic ability. As a matter of fact, they've turned kids away whom wanted to go there because the school was afraid they wouldn't be a good fit academically.

Did I hurt your feelings?  I'm sorry if the truth in that parochial schools are at an advantage in athletics bothers you.  Yorktown has built one hell of a volleyball program, 2 state titles and 4 runners up over the last 10 years.  3 or those 4 runners up were losses to private schools in the title match.

You'll have to forgive, or at least accept, the fact that public schools harbor a small amount of resentment towards the parochials for their ability to go outside of geographical boundaries and offer "scholarships" to entice athletic talent.

My personal suggestion is to get over it.  There are differences between public and parochial schools and it's easy to point fingers. There will always be a questionable situation here and there, but to use those to paint all parochial schools with a broad brush.   There isn't going to be a separation of the two so why not just give up the whining and beat em? Or shake their hands when you lose and move on?

Take my advice or not, but worrying about what you can't control won't do anything positive for you.

They must recruit for Volleyball, too. Lots of state titles and runners up over the last 7 years. I see Adams Central has a rather storied sports history.

Pretty impressive actually for a small school in the middle of corn and soybean fields. Unlike other schools, our district doesn't consist of a large town or city. Bellmont to the north of us has Decatur and South Adams has Berne and Geneva. Adams Central has just Monroe and Pleasant Mills which aren't even close to Decatur and Berne. Most of us live in the rural areas and 80 to 90 kids total in a grade is really big. Football team has the sole IHSAA team championship. Baseball and Softball have runner-ups. Volleyball has been to the semifinals multiple times. We've had multiple individual state qualifiers in different sports. Wrestling has been in the top 4 of the team duals outside a year or two. Funny thing is we've had more placers the past 3 years than Bellmont who has won 50 sectionals. Most importantly AC has been a top notch academic school for years.

Pretty impressive actually for a small school in the middle of corn and soybean fields. Unlike other schools, our district doesn't consist of a large town or city. Bellmont to the north of us has Decatur and South Adams has Berne and Geneva. Adams Central has just Monroe and Pleasant Mills which aren't even close to Decatur and Berne. Most of us live in the rural areas and 80 to 90 kids total in a grade is really big. Football team has the sole IHSAA team championship. Baseball and Softball have runner-ups. Volleyball has been to the semifinals multiple times. We've had multiple individual state qualifiers in different sports. Wrestling has been in the top 4 of the team duals outside a year or two. Funny thing is we've had more placers the past 3 years than Bellmont who has won 50 sectionals. Most importantly AC has been a top notch academic school for years.

It's all about creating that climate in small schools and the community dedicating itself to athletics, sounds like you all have a winning formula. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.