Indiana's Most Dominant Big Man, EVER?

navy80

Paris is a great young kid. 

But my bet goes with David Palmer with Delta, 2,1,1,1 - then signed with Iowa, believe he had issues with

injury while there.  

Other guy I'd have to go with is Mark Whitehead - 1985- phenomenal athlete who focused on 

football and not wrestling year round. Was a NCAA runner-up at Northwestern in 89 or 90.  Had he been strictly 

wrestling like kids today, look out.  

David Palmer 
Delta
Class of 1982
Year by Year Record 9th: 29-2 10th: 20-0 11th: 29-0 12th: 32-0 Career: 111-2
Past Placements National
1982 178 Junior Freestyle Nationals 1st
1981 165 Junior Freestyle Nationals 3rd

State
1982 177 State 1st
1981 167 State 1st
1980 167 State 1st
1979 155 State 2nd

Awards and Honors
1993 IHSWCA Hall of Fame Wrestler

I think for 1 single year it would have to go to DJ. I don't believe he has the total body of work as some of the others mentioned. But again, for one single year DJ was super human.

My coach told me he seen DJ get put on his back once a and literally done a sit up with the guy on top with a full half in...them rolled him and stuck em..that's STRONG

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

I was a freshman at Merrillville Dexter Larimore senior year. I never saw him warmup . (Stand up or jog around trying to get loose. ). He would sit down and stretch his calfs and hamstrings.

I've never seen someone as dominant in any weight class as he was that year. He never was tested during the year, had pinned everyone's using a tight waist tilt. You should never get pinned in a tilt.

To this day I still believe that David Palmer was the best high school wrestler to ever come out of Indiana. He blew his knee out his first year in college and we never got to see him become even greater. I was on David's team the first 2 years in high school before he transferred to Delta. Dave's Soph year he broke his back in a car wreck and still came back and won the state. I think before its done I say Mason is the best period.

Edited by Ironbear

Anyone remember James Brimm from Evansville? He would do 360 takedowns. He was good.

Yep, my best friend Nathan Pickle who was a monster in his own right wrestled him in the semis...Nathan is a very strong wrestler that went on to IU..he said Brimm was so fast and strong unlike anything he wrestled in HS...Nathan went on to beat some guy Named Jon Fitch to take 3rd that year in 96..

We've had a pretty good discussion of most Dominate Big Man.  

But, what would be considered the best "Big Man" championship match in state tournament history?  Top ranked guys with lots of build heading into the match, action rather than just positioning the whole match, etc.....

Streck surely didn't move like a heavy. He was quick and strong. Very aggressive and a dominate top game. I'd say he should be in the talk for most dominate big men. Maybe not THE most dominate ever but to say "because he had losses" should discredit him from the talk. Definitely top 5 in my books.

Is DJ still in good enough shape to give Parris a challenge? My guess is no and my money would have to be on Mason. :)

Last I heard he was a police officer out in Oklahoma. But his physical condition may depend if he's still "walking the beat" or has progressed to a less physical role. I'm sure he's still an imposing sight if you run into him while in the act of committing a crime.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.