Toughest sectional

Jayruss

Off the top of my head would have to say Avon has to be up there

In terms of state qualifiers and placers, there's a good chance Avon will prove to be the strongest. But in terms of depth of guys at every weight that would get through to regional and semi-state if not for the over-crowdedness, Zionsville has been the deepest the last several years. In trying to help people understand why we have to use significant adjustments for path difficulty for Team State qualification, I always use the insane numbers from Zionsville as part of the illustration. One stat from a couple years ago that I recall: the average SEVENTH best guy at each weight had a 17-11 record.  And it's mostly huge population schools that wrestle all big schools on their schedule--meaning that's not a fluffy 17-11. That was a tested 17-11 record for the third best guys AFTER the regional qualifiers. It looks like it's not quite that strong this year, but they still have a slew of guys with winning records that aren't seeded Top 6.

Mooresville is another one that will have less guys to state than Avon but that has a silly level of over-crowdedness when you're talking about guys that deserve to be at regional and semi-state. Warren Central and Evansville Central are in the 3rd to 6th range in terms of depth every year and also have a crowd of high-end talent that results in lots of placers.

Mooresville @170 has Vanhorn,Runyan,Stock,and Hays that will feed into the regional with Ciccerell and Carson...LOADED

One state ranked wrestler in the sectional, 2 in the regional.  By comparison 113 SECTIONAL @ Warren Central has 4 state ranked wrestlers -- #2, #3, #7, #16 and #5 waiting in the Regional.  5 kids ranked in the top 16 of the state, now that is LOADED. 

Edited by Indysportsfan

120 at the Mooresville Regional will be tough

Avon 120

Mills 25-1  2nd/3rd

Weddle 24-5  SSQ

Mooresville 120

Mosconi 32-0 SQ

Fisher 16-2  SS ticket rounder

Denny 31-5 SQ

Cox 23-6 SSQ

220 Mooresville Regional will leave one stud out of semi state

220 Avon

Larson 29-0  2nd place last year

McCormick 24-4 State qualifier

Mooresville 220

Scroggs 25-0 5th place 

Lee 28-2 qualifier as a sophomore and ticket rounder last year

Cheam 30-3

170 Mooresville Sectional may have the top 4 best wrestlers in a single weight class in the entire state.

Vanhorn 27-0 placed 2nd last year

Runyan 19-3 ticket rounder

Hays 23-7 ticket rounder

Stock 28-1

170 Avon winner of this sectional will have an extremely tough 4th place finisher from Mooresville.

Cicciarelli 26-7

Carson 28-4

Elkhart Memorial will have a crazy team race. Jimtown and Northridge might be top two going in, but EM, Elkhart Central, and Goshen will have many guys winning matches. Northwood and Fairfield will also have some hammers. This should be a great day of wrestling.

No stats to report.  Just a gym FULL OF HAMMERS.  Many young kids who are finally ready to take a spot on the porch with the big dogs.  Most of the field faced off at the NLC conference tourney last week in a very tight race for the title.  Add to that mix Jimtown (aka 'hammer' factory).  Central & Fairfield are primed to make some noise too!  Gonna be some surprises and hurt feelings in the fieldhouse come dinner time Saturday in E-town.

One state ranked wrestler in the sectional, 2 in the regional. By comparison 113 SECTIONAL @ Warren Central has 4 state ranked wrestlers -- #2, #3, #7, #16 and #5 waiting in the Regional. 5 kids ranked in the top 16 of the state, now that is LOADED.

You're correct..but there' 4 guys that could be ranked...Regardless it's loaded.. Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Just at Avon Sectionals :

(18) Ranked Wrestlers

(5) #1 Ranked Wrestlers

(1) #2 Ranked Wrestler

(23) EVSS Ranked Wrestlers

LOADED !

and...... This is just a Sectional.

Avon+Brownsburg = all 19 ranked wrestlers (by my count theres 19, not 18)

Avon+Brownsburg = all 5 #1's

Avon = the #2 

Avon+Brownsburg = 20 of the 23 EVSS ranked wrestlers

Not sure this is so much a LOADED sectional as it is just a loaded dual meet. Honestly looks like a pretty week sectional over all with just 3 SS ranked wrestlers outside of those top two teams

No doubt Avon and Brownsburg are two of the best teams in Indiana. I just have a hard time agreeing that two top notch teams make a top notch tournament.

Avon = the #2 

Not sure this is so much a LOADED sectional as it is just a loaded dual meet. Honestly looks like a pretty week sectional over all with just 3 SS ranked wrestlers outside of those top two teams

No doubt Avon and Brownsburg are two of the best teams in Indiana. I just have a hard time agreeing that two top notch teams make a top notch tournament.

I get your point. It is a little thin after the top 2, but our Team State qualifying research for assigning Sectional category levels showed this sectional to be the 8th deepest in the state out of 32 last year.

Mooresville Sectional

14 State Ranked

1 #1 Ranking

25 EVSS Ranked

Add in

Ethan Runyan Martinsville 2x Semi-State quarterfinalst (beating Thomas Dull 8-2 got hit in that $%^# headlock) formerly ranked

Keaten Fisher Martinsville who has a win over #10 Josh Stephonson, Should be ranked IMO (a little biased)

Eli Stock Monrovia the #4 seed who has a win over 1 seed of Avon Sectional #16 ranked Cicciareli, should be ranked IMO

Ethan Stock Monrovia has 2 losses Should be ranked IMO

Cameron Smyth Monrovia who has a win over #8 Joey Blakely Formerly Ranked

Brycen Denny Monrovia 2016 State qualifier Formerly Ranked

Danny Reams Plainfield Formerly Ranked

Keegan Overton Greenwood Formerly Ranked

Mooresville Regional has potential for 

32 State Ranked

6 #1 Rankings

1 #2 Rankings

48 EVSS Ranked wrestlers

Mooresville Sectional

14 State Ranked

1 #1 Ranking

25 EVSS Ranked

Add in

Ethan Runyan Martinsville 2x Semi-State quarterfinalst (beating Thomas Dull 8-2 got hit in that $%^# headlock) formerly ranked

Keaten Fisher Martinsville who has a win over #10 Josh Stephonson, Should be ranked IMO (a little biased)

Eli Stock Monrovia the #4 seed who has a win over 1 seed of Avon Sectional #16 ranked Cicciareli, should be ranked IMO

32 State Ranked

6 #1 Rankings

1 #2 Rankings

48 EVSS Ranked wrestlers

In terms of state qualifiers and placers, there's a good chance Avon will prove to be the strongest. But in terms of depth of guys at every weight that would get through to regional and semi-state if not for the over-crowdedness, Zionsville has been the deepest the last several years. In trying to help people understand why we have to use significant adjustments for path difficulty for Team State qualification, I always use the insane numbers from Zionsville as part of the illustration. One stat from a couple years ago that I recall: the average SEVENTH best guy at each weight had a 17-11 record.  And it's mostly huge population schools that wrestle all big schools on their schedule--meaning that's not a fluffy 17-11. That was a tested 17-11 record for the third best guys AFTER the regional qualifiers. It looks like it's not quite that strong this year, but they still have a slew of guys with winning records that aren't seeded Top 6.

Mooresville is another one that will have less guys to state than Avon but that has a silly level of over-crowdedness when you're talking about guys that deserve to be at regional and semi-state. Warren Central and Evansville Central are in the 3rd to 6th range in terms of depth every year and also have a crowd of high-end talent that results in lots of placers.

Avon = the #2 

Don't discount the other teams in this sectional quite so quickly.  While the other teams in the Avon sectional may not have the depth that Avon and Brownsburg have, it doesn't mean they don't have quality wrestlers.

Donald Campbell - Ben Davis is ranked 16 at 132

Kyle Shaffer - South Putnam is ranked 7 at 195

I know there are kids in this sectional that are unseeded or low seeds at Avon that have beaten kids from other sectionals who end up as the 1 or 2 seed.  Every year there are SS caliber kids that do not make it through the Regional because there are two studs from Avon and Brownsburg at the top and two studs at the top of the Mooresville sectional.  A third place finisher from Avon, or Mooresville for that matter (who might have been a sectional champ and SS qualifier), does not get through the first round of Regionals.  Last year there was a fourth place finisher from the Avon sectional who had a win over a State qualifier yet did not qualify for SS.

Just saying the other schools at Avon often get overlooked because they are not at the same level as Avon or Brownsburg. 

I get your point. It is a little thin after the top 2, but our Team State qualifying research for assigning Sectional category levels showed this sectional to be the 8th deepest in the state out of 32 last year.

I did not know that. Though last year there were also at least a couple other schools contributing top notch guys. Danville with Hudkins and Molloy come to mind. I appears the rest of the sectional, outside of the two obvious hammers, may be a little down this year.

I did not know that. Though last year there were also at least a couple other schools contributing top notch guys. Danville with Hudkins and Molloy come to mind. I appears the rest of the sectional, outside of the two obvious hammers, may be a little down this year.

The thing is, if you've already got 28 regional-worthy kids from 2 monster teams, you only need 2 more regional-worthy guys per weight to achieve average level depth. If you've got a bit more than that, you're above average.

Mooresville Sectional

14 State Ranked

1 #1 Ranking

25 EVSS Ranked

Add in

32 State Ranked

6 #1 Rankings

1 #2 Rankings

48 EVSS Ranked wrestlers

no doubt Stock should be ranked, completely agree

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.