Who's the best middle school wrestlers in Indiana?

Kbam78

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for keeping things going Sig.  It's great to see these kids get some recognition for the portfolio of state and national accomplishments some of these kids have put together over the last year.  I think its been a great addition to the website.

Edited by MattM

Thanks for keeping things going Sig.  It's great to see these kids get some recognition for the portfolio of state and national accomplishments some of these kids have put together over the last year.  I think its been a great addition to the website.

There was talk that a tab will be added in the ranking section for the top 25 youth wrestlers.  I think it is a good thing for kids to strive for.  Most state sites have something similar.  What do you say Y2 are we going to get this in the works?

• 2 weeks later...

This is great , keep it going , will you use ISWA Freestyle & greco state results also ?

I updated the list including USA Nationals, NUWAY Nationals, Flo Nationals, and top performances at Heartland Duals. Ohio Tournament of Champions and NHSCA are coming up that could help rankings.

What about AAU National Duals in Des Moines Iowa from April 1st weekend? You use any results from that ?

Yes. I look at everything. Nothing really jumped out at me from those results. That weekend had so many events that it kinda of water down all the events that weekend. Freestyle will get looked at if there are any head to head results against kids. Plenty of kids out there doing great things, but in the end I am looking at the whole resume which is why some of these kids haven't jumped in the rankings.

Right , appreciate the work & enjoy following , would like to see if I have the same pics & similar opinions on these kids if I'm following the same guidelines , tournaments, duals , as you .

I have seen almost all of these kids wrestle at dual meets over the years so I am familiar with most of them.  I entered some of their accomplishments to justify why I placed them where I did.  Winning or placing high at USA Nationals, Tulsa, Super32, Preseason Nationals, or Ohio TOC are huge predictors of success.  Either of the Virginia Beach Duals and Middle school national duals will tell a lot about a kid as well.  As far as in state goes I looked at middle school state.  Some kids have won a few age based tournaments, but have never placed or won Middle school state so I can't add them to the list.  I also tried not to add any 6th or 7th graders unless they won middle school state or if I believe they can beat the 8th graders at their weight.   

Someone asked for a list so I put this together for fun.  I just really enjoy going through track and floarena and looking at results.  Feel free to inbox me if you think I am overlooking someone. 

Edited by Sig40

I have seen almost all of these kids wrestle at dual meets over the years so I am familiar with most of them.  I entered some of their accomplishments to justify why I placed them where I did.  Winning or placing high at USA Nationals, Tulsa, Super32, Preseason Nationals, or Ohio TOC are huge predictors of success.  Either of the Virginia Beach Duals and Middle school national duals will tell a lot about a kid as well.  As far as in state goes I looked at middle school state.  Some kids have won a few age based tournaments, but have never placed or won Middle school state so I can't add them to the list.  I also tried not to add any 6th or 7th graders unless they won middle school state or if I believe they can beat the 8th graders at their weight.   

Someone asked for a list so I put this together for fun.  I just really enjoy going through track and floarena and looking at results.  Feel free to inbox me if you think I am overlooking someone. 

I think this list is great.  As we all know, polls can differ from person to person but I think a person would be hard pressed to find a more accurate poll for this age group in our state.  Many of the names on the list are the ones that have been making noise in various state and out of state tournaments for several years.  I think the list is a great thing.  It gives another goal for MS kids to attempt to reach.  I think sometimes Middle School kids get lost in the shuffle.  There are now more and more events that show where kids in this age group are at compared to other states.  This list is a reflection of that.

• 1 month later...

I updated the list after looking at central regional and Virginia Beach NHSCA duals, but it was hard because the NHSCA results were not recorded.  I am going to look at schoolboy duals and freestyle and Greco nationals for the final rankings of the year. 

I will then start a new topic with for 2017/2018 season with all the 8th graders out of the rankings.  This should open 22 spots.  First big tournament of the year will be the grand river rumble duals.

I had Schoeff's on there.  He has been doing great things, which is why he is the only 6th grader on the list.  Brady was killing it this year, sucks that he got hurt because I think he could have won a freestyle national title this month. 

I am going to make one more update at the end of this month and then start a new one with all the soon to be freshman off the list. @Using

On 1/24/2017 at 4:11 AM, Sig40 said:

Top 25
Rank/ Name/ Grade/ Projected High School/ Current Weight/ Projected HS Weight/HS Current Ranking(2017/18)/2018 results

1. Jesse Mendez--7th grade--Crown Point/Mount Carmel--107--(113-126)--MS
(USA wrestling schoolboy 105 triple crown winner, 5X USA National Champ, Tulsa Champ, IHPO Champ, 2X Ohio TOC champ, 2X Middle School state champ, Super32-3rd, schoolboy Pan Am Greco gold medalist, undefeated at Middle School Nat duals(X2), undefeated at VAC holiday and NHSCA Duals(X2), undefeated in both styles at Schoolboy duals, ranked #39 on Flo Wrestling junior High Big Board, ranked #14 on Youth1 top 75 youth wrestlers, Schoolboy World Team member)

2. Blake Boarman--8th grade--Mater Dei--117--(113)--#5–3rd Place
(7-3 at VAC holiday duals, 6-1 at the Middle School duals, USA National Champ, Tulsa Champ, 1st, 2nd and 7th at Middle School State)

3. Noah Mis--8th grade--Mount Carmel--110--(113)--IL(3A) #10–State Qualifier
(9-1 at VAC holiday duals, 8-1 at NHSCA Duals, 8-0 at AAU Duals, 5-2 at middle school Duals, 3rd at USA Nationals, 1st, 1st, and 2nd at Middle School State)

4. Raymond(Brock) Ellis--8th grade--Chesterton--144--(145)--#20–State Qualifier
(7-1 at Greco Cadet Duals, 9-0 at VAC holiday duals, 7-0 at Middle School National duals, 2nd at Preseason Nationals and USA Nationals, Indy National Champ, 8th at middle school state)

5. Evan Bates--8th grade--Chesterton--170--(170)--EC-SS-#5–Semi State Qualifier
(8-0 in freestyle and 6-2 at Greco at Schoolboy duals, Middle School State Champ, 6-0 Christmas Duals, 5-2 at NHSCA duals, ISWA triple crown winner, 7-3 VAC Duals, 6-1 at Middle School National duals, Winter Nat. Champ, 5th Preseason Nationals)

6.  Zeke Seltzer--7th grade--Cathedral--107--(113-126)--MS
(3rd place in Freestyle Nationals, 9-0 at the NHSCA duals, Central Regional Champ, 7-1 schoolboy duals freestyle, 5-2 Middle school duals, 2X runner up at Middle school state, ISWA State Champ

7. Cole Ross--8th grade--Mater Dei--115--(106)--#6–State Qualifier
(9-1 at VAC holiday duals, 6-0 at Middle School National duals, Tulsa nationals 6th place, 1st and 3rd at Middle School state)

8. Gavinn Alstott--8th grade--Floyd Central--105--(106)--#10–State Quslifier
(8-0 at AAU middle school duals, 8-1 at NHSCA duals, 7-0 at Middle School National duals, 6-1 at Heartland Duals, 3rd at TOC, Middle School State placed 2nd, 2nd, and 5th)

9. Kysen Montgomery--8th grade--Brownsburg--114--(106)--#4–5th Place
(6-2 in freestyle at Schoolboy Duals, NUWAY national champ, Runner Up USA Nationals, runner up at TOC, Indy National champ, 7-1 at Heartland Duals, multi freestyle titles, 2nd and 5th at middle school state)

10. Scott Fitts--8th grade--Mater Dei--135--(145)--#18–state qualifier 
(Dixie National Champ, 9-1 at VAC holiday duals, 8-1 at the NHSCA duals, 8-0 at heartland Duals, 6th at Tulsa nationals, Preseason nationals 7th, 1st and 7th at Middle School state)

11. Alex Cottey--8th grade--Perry Meridian--97--(106)--#5–2nd Place
(8-2 at Disney Duals, 9-0 at the NHSCA duals, 7-0 Cadet Greco Duals, 8-0 Cadet Freestyle Duals, 5-2 Middle School Duals, 4th at TOC, Middle School State 2nd and 6th place, Multi ISWA triple Crown winner)

12. Brady Mckivtz--8th grade--Avon--126--(120)--NR—didn’t wrestle 
(Runner Up and 4th at USA Nationals, Indy National Champ, 1st, 7th, and 8th at middle school state, ISWA triple crown winner)

13. Tyler Conley--8th grade--Avon--112--(113)--#11–State Qualifier
(7-3 VAC holiday Dual, multi ISWA state champ, 3rd at NHSCA, Middle School State 3rd, 4th, and 7th)

14. Jaden Reynolds--8th grade--Avon--130--(132)--#20–semi state qualifier 
(Dixie Champ, Best of the Midwest Champ, 2016 Triple Crown Winner, Runner up at Middle School State)

15. Ben Dalton--8th grade--Monrovia--95--(106)--#8–Semi State Qualifier 
(7-3 VAC, multi ISWA triple crown winner, 2X Middle School state Champ)

16. Tyler Turley--8th grade--Hobart--150--(145)--#13–Semi State Qualifier
(9-1 at VAC, 8-0 at Heartland Duals, 3X USA National All American, Indy Nationals champ, 2nd, 3rd and 5th at Middle School state, multi ISWA state champ)

17. Cheaney Schoeff--6th grade--Plainfield--85--(106)--MS
(Middle School State Champ, 6-0 at Christmas Duals, 9-0 at VAC duals, 7-2 at the NHSCA duals, NUWAY Nationals Champ, 6-1 at Middle School National duals, 6-1 at Heartland Duals, multi time ISWA triple crown winner, 3rd and 5th at USA Nationals)

18. Aiden Warren--8th grade--Perry Meridian--143--(152)--#19–State Qualifier 
(8-1 at the NHSCA duals, 5th and 8th at middle school state, multiple ISWA state titles, 3rd at Preseason Nationals)

19. Preston Teusch--8th grade--Huntington--90--(106)--#19–Semi State Qualifier
(2X Middle School State Champ, 5-2 at Middle School Nat Duals, Dominate the Dells Champ, NUWAY national champ, Indy National Champ)

20. Alec Freeman--8th grade--Mater Dei--89--(106)--NR—Behind Cole Ross
(9-1 at VAC holiday duals, 5-2 at Middle school duals, 7-1 at Heartland Duals, multi ISWA state titles, 2nd, 3rd, and 7th at Middle School state)

21. Robert Bowman--8th grade--Mount Carmel--156--(160)--NR in IL
(Central Regional freestyle champ, 1st and 4th at USA National, Indy Nat champ, 7-1 at Heartland Duals, 8th at middle school state, ISWA triple crown winner)

22. Johnny Parker--8th grade--Cathedral--143--(138-152)--NR—JV
(6-1 at Middle School National Duals, USA National Champ, 3X ISWA triple crown winner, 2X Indy Nat Champ, Runner Up at Middle School State)

23. Cameron Allen--8th grade--Plainfield--100--(106)--#15–Semi State Qualifier
(Runner up at Flo Kickoff, 3X NUWAY national champ, Indy Nationals champ, ISWA triple crown winner, 2nd, 2nd, and 3rd at Middle School State)

24. David Pierson--8th grade--Warren Central--98--(106)--#17–4th Place
(7-1 in freestyle and 8-1 in Greco at Schoolboy National Duals, 5-2 at AAU duals, multi time ISWA state champ)

25. Stephen Roberson Jr--8th grade--Portage--96--(106)--NR—behind Moran
(6-1 at Middle School Nat Duals, 2X NUWAY Nat champ, 2X USA National All American, multi ISWA state champ, 1st, 3rd, and 4th at Middle School state)

Updated on 12/15/2017

Honorable Mention: (Munoz, Bryer Hall--(126, #16–6th Place), Ty Lehman, Koontz, Erb, Sanderfur, Muncie, Baumann, Duncan, Goodwin, Nelson, Wagner, Timmerman, Heath--(120, #19–State Qualifier), Ross--(113, #7–Semi state Qualifier), and Ison.

I went through and added this year’s accomplishments to last years top 25. 

-4 kids that placed at state(5 adding Bryer Hall from watch list) COTTEY placing the highest as a runner up.

-7 state qualifiers(8 adding Heath from watch list)

-6 semi state qualifiers(7 adding jevian Ross from watch list)

-3 kids still in Middle School

Overal it was a great year for freshman. 

Edited by Sig40

Good job sig! Great rankings and it was a good year for freshman. 

Did the mckitz kid kid from Avon quit or was he jv?

kids like Parker and Robertson were behind some studs, otherwise they would have been at least semi state qualifiers. 

Yes I think Parker, Roberson, Freeman, and Mckivtz would all have been at the very least semi state qualifiers if they weren’t behind very good wrestlers. I believe Mckivtz started at Avon and then transferred to Cathedral. Cathedral is going to be very strong again next year so hopefully Parker and McKivtz find a spot in the varsity lineup so we can see what they can do. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.