Indiana's 'middle class' in wrestling

Ed Pendoski

Class Wrestling...

Class wrestling would most definitely help build and grow wrestling in Indiana.  It works in Ohio, Oklahoma, Illinois, and

and just about every other state across the country.  It would work in Indiana AND the 'middle class' would start to

thrive again.

All of the states you list have a greater wrestling traditions than Indiana, and you have no idea whether class wrestling helped or hurt the participation rates. We only have post class #s from those states, without pre-class #s we are only assuming an outcome which hasn't been supported by data.

I would highly disagree that all of the states that have class wrestling have a greater wrestling tradition than Indiana.  I don't need statistical data to support every situation/decision that presents itself to me.  I highly doubt that the people, and societies, in Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, etc. are too much different than the people in Indiana.  Class football works in Ohio AND it works in Indiana.  The same would absolutely apply and work with Indiana wrestling.

All of the states you list have a greater wrestling traditions than Indiana, and you have no idea whether class wrestling helped or hurt the participation rates. We only have post class #s from those states, without pre-class #s we are only assuming an outcome which hasn't been supported by data.

You have no data to support that class wrestling did NOT help those states either.

Could the 10% to 20% of the teams we are talking about actually start their own freshman/jv tournaments?  Have 3 or 4 big ones during the season?  Then open them up to other teams when their programs grow?

Kids need quality matches, not just matches... and that goes for the top end, middle and bottom....  

T

Absolutely.  There are a few freshman/sophomore tournaments out there.  The problem is there aren't many teams with a bunch of Freshman.  

Not as easy as some think to just start up a tournament.  We are talking getting officials, table help, etc.

On the topic of Freshman wrestling, I know of a school who hosts a freshman night on Mondays.  No weigh ins, bring your freshman, match up and get at least two matches.  Anybody else do this?

Has classed sports in Indiana increased the overall participation numbers?  It has increased the number of teams being recognized as champions, but are the numbers of participants actually up statewide? Maybe they are, I have no idea.  But I think the issue is more societal/generational than just simply more classes, JV tournaments, and the "middle class."  Kids have more options than they ever have, and a lot of them view sports as purely recreational. 

Last I recall, wrestling is hard. 

All know I'm a Classed and Single Class co-existing supporter for team and individual. The current schedule doesn't allow that. I also think that the larger schools should classify their Varsity/JV/Freshman/Mixed as A for the best, B for step below, C below that, and D for lowest. Many 3A and the top 2A teams could easily have A to C squads if not to D. Maybe classify them for own tournaments? Gets kids wrestling instead of watching just Varsity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.