Bad officiating

BlastDouble

Where can we find said video...? Probably just have to wait for the Dateline episode.

Becareful you will also be considered the same person if you have a similar opinion .. that match was just one example .. a lot of pins were missed as some of the referees were not able to get down to see ..

Just hoping those referees don't make it down south for semistate..

I thought you weren't there like you claimed earlier?

Look at the hhc thread from last night , three different matches I received videos of were the examples of where the referees decided the outcome , I was interested in some of those matches

A lot of people that I had talked to said similar things about the referees.. I am surprised you hadn't already read all of the posts ..

I’m one of the biggest banterers that I know; the officials are like I have to listen to this guy all day long. But with aging officiating crews and with very little incoming officials it falls back on the coaching staff. We need to be pushing our graduating seniors to become officials. Keep complaining about the ones we have and that will put us in a worse spot than we already are in. I hear they are short for sectionals as it is now and are out trying to get a few more officials to fill the ranks. There are a lot of 4 year high school wrestlers that don't continue on wrestling in college that would be perfect candidates to start building up the ranks. Just a thought!

I’m one of the biggest banterers that I know; the officials are like I have to listen to this guy all day long. But with aging officiating crews and with very little incoming officials it falls back on the coaching staff. We need to be pushing our graduating seniors to become officials. Keep complaining about the ones we have and that will put us in a worse spot than we already are in. I hear they are short for sectionals as it is now and are out trying to get a few more officials to fill the ranks. There are a lot of 4 year high school wrestlers that don't continue on wrestling in college that would be perfect candidates to start building up the ranks. Just a thought!

The stats from the IHSAA minutes in January showed they had something like a dozen sectional-applied and approved officials beyond what they needed. 

I think some of it was location related. More officials up North and shortage way down south, for example.

I see. They usually somehow solve that by sending the north toward Indy and Indy toward the south. But they don't like to spend a ton on travel for sectional since they inevitably have to send people far for regional and semi-state. They also in a few cases could end up using only 3 guys at a site or two where there will only be 5 or 6 kids per weight because of forfeits.

Your main point stands, though. I've been hearing "we need to get more young guys involved" for 20 years. It's always a struggle.

Edited by maligned

At one of the conference tournaments in the region a couple of weeks ago there was a very questionable call on the out of bounds line. The wrestlers were scrambling and there didn't appear to be control as they went out of bounds. The referee awarded the takedown and the coach called him to the table and the referee's response was that "he had a little bit of control".

I was standing near the scores table when this happened.

We had 131 referees apply for the Sectional. We need 128 referees to staff the tournament. While we were in the meeting with Mr. Faulkens going over the tournament series, his administrative assistant came in with a note that two referees had dropped out. Others will drop before the end of the week for a variety of reasons. We will end up using veteran officials who did not apply for the tournament and first year officials who have had good recommendations. 

The number one reason new referees do not continue is abuse from coaches and fans.

We do everything we can to train them and keep them going. In the Indianapolis area our association offers a class and we have a mentor program, where the new officials shadow an experienced official. We have association meetings where we discuss situations and rules throughout the season. It's an uphill battle.

Like it or not, referees are part of the sport. Without them there are no events. Our sport is doing everything we can do increase the number of athletes. We need the same effort to increase the number of referees. We should be in this together, but sometimes it seems we are fighting coaches and administrators.

I know the Penn club used the high school athletes to officiate at their youth tourney yesterday. Hopefully it serves several purposes...one being that maybe a couple get the bug to become a ref down the road, and to give those kids a feel for what it's like on the other side so that they might have some appreciation for the refs and how hard and thankless it is.

Edited by UncleJimmy

Interestingly enough while I was typing the above post, one person made a post calling an official out by name on this message board (which since been deleted). And we wonder why there is a shortage of officials.

It is a strange, strange cultural phenomenon. Sports officials are the only humans I can think of that are acceptably shouted at, cursed, and ridiculed in public with everyone's approval. Super bizarre.

It is a strange, strange cultural phenomenon. Sports officials are the only humans I can think of that are acceptably shouted at, cursed, and ridiculed in public with everyone's approval. Super bizarre.

Them and whomever is married to my ex-wife at the time!

Chris Davis (Floyd Central) was one of the officials at the HHC tournament this weekend. He is an outstanding official.  Very decisive with his calls, knows the rules, controls the wrestlers, table help and keeps the match moving.  We travel a lot with our schedule and see officials from all corners of the state.  In my opinion, he is already one of the best out there, and I believe he is a first year official.  He is a great addition to southern Indiana officiating.

Maybe "Chin Whip City" and "Blast Double"  are like Mr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde.     Im talking like a phscyological  disorder were you have two personalities.   In all fairness Chin Whip City might not know that the second personality "Blast Double" has hacked   his   account and writing stuff on the board.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

My son was a sectional champion as a senior in 2015.  He's now a college student in central Indiana and is in his second year as an official.  Admittedly, it's difficult for him to get matches with his limited experience, but it is a great source of income for college kids, if they can work matches into their schedules!  This past weekend he was fortunate to be one of 4 officials at a conference meet in northern Indiana.  I'm biased of course, but I think he did an excellent job!  One of the coaches told me he thought my son was the second best official at the meet!  More kids like him need to be encouraged to jump into the sport as officials.  It really can be quite beneficial financially for college kids in particular.  And it can help to build the number of younger officials in the sport.

Ok, I think I got it figured out.......they're both ClownBaby!

Geez, that guy, amirite?

Ok friendo, I see what you've done here. If you've come lookin for a fight you've found one if you're here to besmirch my good name. Otherwise I would suggest you either become a fan of Carmel wrestling or crawl back under the rock you slithered out from.

While I'm here, I may as well try to add to the discussion even though this clown has me all riled up.........since wrestling is so weekend oriented, would pay be big factor in being able to keep good refs also? I have no idea what IHSAA refs get paid for their time but considering all the abuse they take and being away from their families so many weekends, I would only assume it has something to do with it. Personally I appreciate what they do.

Ok friendo, I see what you've done here. If you've come lookin for a fight you've found one if you're here to besmirch my good name. Otherwise I would suggest you either become a fan of Carmel wrestling or crawl back under the rock you slithered out from.

While I'm here, I may as well try to add to the discussion even though this clown has me all riled up.........since wrestling is so weekend oriented, would pay be big factor in being able to keep good refs also? I have no idea what IHSAA refs get paid for their time but considering all the abuse they take and being away from their families so many weekends, I would only assume it has something to do with it. Personally I appreciate what they do.

If I have to take one of you out I am going for the juggler! Haha

At the seeding meeting for HHC we were told that they pay was $300 per official for the Varsity meet.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.