Youth tournament at Wheeler High School 2/25/17

shouldie

Wheeler Wrestling Club is holding their 2nd annual wrestling tournament on 2/25/17 at Wheeler High School in Valparaiso IN.  Please bring wrestlers for a great day.  Look for details on trackwrestling.  Because of other tournaments on Sunday the 26th the ISWA has denied this tournament so Wheeler will hold this tournament on its own.  Very disappointing.  I would think the ISWA would like to support the growth of wrestling not suppress it.  Makes you wonder???

Wheeler Wrestling Club is holding their 2nd annual wrestling tournament on 2/25/17 at Wheeler High School in Valparaiso IN.  Please bring wrestlers for a great day.  Look for details on trackwrestling.  Because of other tournaments on Sunday the 26th the ISWA has denied this tournament so Wheeler will hold this tournament on its own.  Very disappointing.  I would think the ISWA would like to support the growth of wrestling not suppress it.  Makes you wonder???

This seems weird that the ISWA would not permit you to hold a tournament when you attended the annual bid meeting and bid for the date of the tournament like all the other clubs did........confusing to say the least.

I know the ISWA try not to have tournaments to close in proximity to each other on same day. But that's still disturbing to me. Especially in this day and age with the funding for all sports is in decline. These tournaments are the main financial engine to keep our wrestling programs funded. We had a great experience last year for the inaugural tournament and will be back this year.

I know the ISWA try not to have tournaments to close in proximity to each other on same day. But that's still disturbing to me. Especially in this day and age with the funding for all sports is in decline. These tournaments are the main financial engine to keep our wrestling programs funded. We had a great experience last year for the inaugural tournament and will be back this year.

I believe they allow many tournaments to be held on same day no matter location or total # as long as the rules are followed when putting the tournament on............like attending the tournament bid meeting like all other clubs and representatives to bid for the tournament day. 

Gee and get this one.......the mean unreasonable ISWA even sometimes still tries to work out late entries by encouraging the club to hold the event on a weekend when there are no other already bid tournaments in their area on that day......but sometimes the club wanting to hold the tournament refuses to bend on their date and still wants to hold the tournament on the selected date and the ISWA has to hold to the set forth rules and tell that club they can not do that.

Imagine that the ISWA trying to work with clubs to hold tournaments even when they did not follow the rules set forth.........what a horrible organization

We did not attend the meeting , we are a new program and I was unaware of the meeting. I assured them we would be at this years. Last year we held our first tournament and put it together in 6 weeks and they approved everything. It's not a proximity issue in my opinion as ours is on 2/25 and Jimtown has one on 2/26. This weekend CP has one 2/22 and PENN 2/22. They are 77 miles or so and we 74 miles from Jimtown - either way we will be having ours 2/25.

We did not attend the meeting , we are a new program and I was unaware of the meeting. I assured them we would be at this years. Last year we held our first tournament and put it together in 6 weeks and they approved everything. It's not a proximity issue in my opinion as ours is on 2/25 and Jimtown has one on 2/26. This weekend CP has one 2/22 and PENN 2/22. They are 77 miles or so and we 74 miles from Jimtown - either way we will be having ours 2/25.

I think it is great that you guys are wanting to have a tournament and that you were able to get the ISWA to work with you last year after you did not know about the meeting and bidding for tournaments.

I would think that last year when you were allowed to have the tournament you would have been made aware of the process and the bid meeting and thus this year not be able to use the same excuse....then when you are told no then someone from your organization puts up a post up about how the ISWA is not willing to work with you......This is clearly not true by your own admission.

Now on to your tournament on 2-25..........since you are not 100% familiar with the rules you may want to get on the website and read a little bit about the sanctioning and insurance for the tournaments and how it applies to un-sanctioned events.....I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hope that no kids get injured at a tournament but you should really be cautious about this part in particular because an unsanctioned event will not get insurance coverage thru the ISWA or USA wrestling.

It would be my suggestion to move the date as you were asked by the ISWA to an alternate date that does not have 12 other tournaments (all were bid at the meeting) and thus allowing your self to get it sanctioned.

Edited by JMILL

You can step down from the soap box now, you're preaching to the choir. I was in no way disparaging the ISWA! I was just stating that it's a shame something couldn't have had been wrkd out. The situation wasn't handled appropriately by said club. I agree with all points you have made. I was simply stating that I was disappointed in the outcome. Not what transpired to get to the end resault. Rules are rules anyway you look at it. Definitely hard to argue when all other clubs follow them. I hope they raise some great funds to help there program and the kids.

I sent over all information to Iswa and was never told we had to attend anything that Fall - I am not the head coach and to my knowledge he was not told either. I have insurance lined up already for the event thanks for your concern on that - I do appreciate your input and look forward to seeing you and discussing everything in September - We Cant move our date as I told your representative over the phone. She was very nice And understanding - our head coach is having knee replacement surgery the week after 2/25 and will be immobile for sometime. Either way - our event will be held on 2/25 with event insurance. And we did consider using HYWAY , but felt we didn't want the families to have to acquire another card. That's just more money out of their pockets. And after all we are holding this to help raise funds for our young program and growing our sport. We will be at this years meeting with open arms and hearts !

Just to be open

Yusef Mohmed

Assistant Coach

From reading the ISWA minutes it says they won't allow tournaments sanctioned after the "big meeting" if there is another event in the area that day. Even with 12 other events, there is NOTHING in northwest Indiana that weekend.

I can't find in the by-laws where it states all tournaments must be sanctioned through a meeting in Indianapolis in September. 

JMill... as I see it. There are a lot of great tournaments held without iswa sanction. In reality do we need iswa to hold a tournament? IHOP is a great example. What we do is for the sport, for our kids and our community. We were not told we couldn't have our tournament we were just told pick another date. Well .... iswa doesn't really control what we do. I am sure there are a lot of rules that iswa makes and a lot of us do not agree to them( like the mandatory 2 local freestyle tournament) . But your right , if you didn't want sanction our tournament you have all the right to do that. As we will go on and have our tournament on the date we choose. So what does iswa gain from this? Setting an example ? How they let us have it last year? That was a favor to us? Please .... Iswa just made other people in a great community upset. To the point that you made earlier about insurance??? Really . You really don't think iswa is the only way to get insurance right? So do me a favor think of what you say... before you put it on here.

JMill... as I see it. There are a lot of great tournaments held without iswa sanction. In reality do we need iswa to hold a tournament? IHOP is a great example. What we do is for the sport, for our kids and our community. We were not told we couldn't have our tournament we were just told pick another date. Well .... iswa doesn't really control what we do. I am sure there are a lot of rules that iswa makes and a lot of us do not agree to them( like the mandatory 2 local freestyle tournament) . But your right , if you didn't want sanction our tournament you have all the right to do that. As we will go on and have our tournament on the date we choose. So what does iswa gain from this? Setting an example ? How they let us have it last year? That was a favor to us? Please .... Iswa just made other people in a great community upset. To the point that you made earlier about insurance??? Really . You really don't think iswa is the only way to get insurance right? So do me a favor think of what you say... before you put it on here.

Have a great tournament and enjoy your time.  Understand the ISWA is here to help and is always an organization for the kids.

Have Y2 help you make all the arrangements he is certainly well aware of how to interpret all rules and handle things on his own.

Just know if you need us at the ISWA we are available for you and anyone else at any time.................just not maybe always on your terms.

Side note, I think about everything I put on here but thanks for thinking about me.

Can you point me to where you MUST attend the annual meeting in order to sanction an event? I know of an event this past weekend that their personnel were not at the meeting and they were sanctioned.

You really can't help yourself to get involved can you ?

You did kinda egg it on by making reference to his earlier comment.

my comment to his earlier comment was after he had already inserted himself into an issue that didn't involve him in the first place.....he always swoops in to be the savior and defender of everyone against the ISWA.

My main issue is when the ISWA has done nothing wrong and someone goes on here and slams them why pile on and why not instead do the right thing and say something along the lines of "well sir, your points are not correct and you have to follow the rules like everyone else".

In response to his comments................no you don't have to attend the meeting to have a tournament, but it is the only way to guarantee your planned date.....if you don't attend then you are at the mercy of the discretion of the ISWA to say if it is a good weekend or a bad weekend depending on the # of tournaments that were bid for at the bid meeting by the clubs adhering to the rules (he knows this and is just trying to stir the pot when it is not needed).

Again why are there not more people posting comments in support of the ISWA on this issue is the real question ???

my comment to his earlier comment was after he had already inserted himself into an issue that didn't involve him in the first place.....he always swoops in to be the savior and defender of everyone against the ISWA.

My main issue is when the ISWA has done nothing wrong and someone goes on here and slams them why pile on and why not instead do the right thing and say something along the lines of "well sir, your points are not correct and you have to follow the rules like everyone else".

In response to his comments................no you don't have to attend the meeting to have a tournament, but it is the only way to guarantee your planned date.....if you don't attend then you are at the mercy of the discretion of the ISWA to say if it is a good weekend or a bad weekend depending on the # of tournaments that were bid for at the bid meeting by the clubs adhering to the rules (he knows this and is just trying to stir the pot when it is not needed).

Again why are there not more people posting comments in support of the ISWA on this issue is the real question ???

So again where can I find the rules in order to sanction a tournament? I looked through the by-laws and how to host an event, but couldn't find any rules. The only thing I found was a minor reference in the minutes. 

I'm going back to my normal response that I always go back to with the ISWA....it's ran backwards ISWA treats people as if ISWA is the customer and the wrestlers are the product. IT'S THE OTHER WAY AROUND! Administration is to hardhead and/or proud to find solutions, but rather find reasons to be defensive and attack in responses. Whether on boards like this one or in person. You (ISWA) can and do lots of good things for wrestling but as long as these things and thoughs continue it won't change. Kind of like coaching today's kids like coaches did back in the 1980s. Just doesn't work.

Edited by warsawwrestling

Why should we care how many tournaments there are on any given weekend?  Shouldnt we encourage more?  If we care about the athletes and not simply subsidizing clubs why are we limiting the choices of wrestlers?

Yes, more tournaments may mean less matches, but many new parents would prefer to spend 2-3 hours in a gym on a Saturday then to spend 8-12.  

Isn't that what you did jmill... swoop in and defended iswa...so it's ok when you do it. So if we attend the meeting ... are we allowed to disagree with iswa "rules"??? Is that ok with you

apples to oranges, but thanks for the post.

Side note, did you really "like" your own post ?.......now that is funny

Why should we care how many tournaments there are on any given weekend?  Shouldnt we encourage more?  If we care about the athletes and not simply subsidizing clubs why are we limiting the choices of wrestlers?

Yes, more tournaments may mean less matches, but many new parents would prefer to spend 2-3 hours in a gym on a Saturday then to spend 8-12.  

AJ, lets say you were following the rules and took time out of your weekend to attent the annual bid meeting to hold a tournament for your club and someone who failed to follow the rules (that you and all other clubs managed to follow) for a second year in a row and wanted to hold a tournament in the next town over or in close proximity. You mean to tell me that you and the other 11 clubs that followed the rules would not be a little upset about it ?

people come on here and slam the ISWA for not holding hard and fast to the rules that are set out but even when we do hold hard and fast to those rules we take heat from people.  Kind of a no win situation don't you think ?

My real question is why would anyone want to be an ISWA Board Member? 

They volunteer COUNTLESS hours, many of them don't have children still involved so they are working for other people's kids, everyone with a keyboard has a better way of doing things and they don't hesitate to point it out and make it a personal attack. You get your integrity and intelligence questioned, most of the things you hear are negative. If by chance you do something right, you would rarely hear it.

I guess you do get a free polo shirt.

I can't believe the line to be a Board Member doesn't start at the ISWA office and extend north thru Muncie, crossing over into Warsaw, then up to Ft Wayne and west to Wheeler.

Edited by grecoref

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.