Team State Duals -- A Few Thank You's

Coach McCormick

I want to thank a few people who worked directly with me in preparing for this season's Team State Duals event.  I am sure JD (Minch) will have others to recognize who assisted him at the event.

*  Adrian Troyer --  thank you for all of the work you did last spring during the selection process.  This guy is extremely thorough and his attention to detail is matched by few.  Great job Adrian!

*  Dane Fuelling --  thank you for the massive job you have in gathering data on the teams quickly and seeding the event in a relatively short amount of time.  Please thank your committee personnel as well.  Job well done!

*  JD Minch --  it's always a pleasure working with you JD.  I have enjoyed our trips to Ft. Wayne in the fall, meeting with Coliseum personnel and other planning committee members, and working with you in putting on a                              great event for the teams and fans at this event.

*  Tim Smith -- In addition to Yorktown team responsibilities, this guy has also taken on the task of setting up the mats, taping them, and mopping them the past few years.  If you want something done right, call Tim!

You're the best Tim!  Thank you!

*  Melissa Ritchie -- Melissa is our athletic office secretary at Yorktown.  She prepares and handles all of the team contracts for this event.  Great job Melissa... and thank you for being a team player.

*  Pat Culp -- Another great job Pat!  No one has to worry when you are on the job.  You are a true professional and a joy to work with.

*  Patt VanHorn --  Thank you Patt for everything you have done in staffing the event with volunteers.  Your hard work doesn't go unnoticed.

*  Joe Caprino --  Thank you Joe for promoting the event on Indianamat and providing current tournament info. to wrestling fans across the state.

I hope the improvements we made to this year's event met with the teams' and spectators' expectations.  Great job to all of the teams who participated this season.

Happy Holidays,

Trent McCormick

It was my first state duals... loved it. Wouldn't expect less from the people in charge (majority of workers were from the iswa). Even if you dislike some of the policies at the iswa, you can't deny the fact that these people do give so much to the kids. So.. greatful for them. Thank you to the seeding committee. Thank you to Joe and the Indiana mat staff for all of their hard work. Thank you to the coaches association for all that they did. Thanks to the refs. Congrats to all of the champs. Congrats to Perry on their victory against our team. Look forward to bringing the #NotSoYoungGunz back next year to make another run.

More like #avonyounggunz will still be #younggunz, 3 more very talented wrestlers come in. Including a ISWA Triple Crown winner, MS Super 32 placer and National All-Americans.

It was my first state duals... loved it. Wouldn't expect less from the people in charge (majority of workers were from the iswa). Even if you dislike some of the policies at the iswa, you can't deny the fact that these people do give so much to the kids. So.. greatful for them. Thank you to the seeding committee. Thank you to Joe and the Indiana mat staff for all of their hard work. Thank you to the coaches association for all that they did. Thanks to the refs. Congrats to all of the champs. Congrats to Perry on their victory against our team. Look forward to bringing the #NotSoYoungGunz back next year to make another run.

This year's event was certainly the best run and most spacious venue we have had.  What I can tell you is there are a few things that I know I was hearing as a coach. 

Mark Durham and TrackGopher were brought in late and had asked to TrackCast the event, but event administrators said no.  They cited that the year that we streamed (2 years ago @ Ball State) that we had taken a huge hit to the attendance of the event and they were not interested in streaming again.  The rebuttal to this was that two years ago the entire northern part of the state was under emergency conditions for snow and ice, so teams like Penn did not have their typical crowd.  They said they might revisit it next year as they did not remember that their was a snow emergency at the time.   Trackcast was something that we all have discussed here regarding it not being a money loss, but a moneymaker as the people who were going to come will and those that were not would not and have that opportunity.  

I know that last year's turning people away at the door certainly did not help attendance this year.  And honestly, from where I was sitting it appeared that we had about 1/2 the amount in attendance this year as last year.  I know of at least 10 Portage fans that did not make the trip because of last years overcrowding fiasco.  While I also know that there were issues with it being so close to Christmas, last year certainly could not have helped an average fan to want to risk driving hours away to risk not being allowed entrance.  I thought that TrackCast would actually help the IHSWCA as it would have brought in more money to the event.  Maybe I am wrong.

Bathroom Situation and Team Lounge!  This in my mind was the biggest positive we had.  With renting the extra expo center we were able to have more restrooms which last year we all know kind of sucked.  So thanks for that!  The team lounge was a very nice touch.  We had the ability to have food at the event without taking precious floor space (like last year) in the expo center.  So that was also a very nice upgrade with renting more room.

ISWA's clocks:  I know there were a few issues with the clocks not being correct or not starting.  Honestly this is more of an interest for me because I feel like renting actual TW clocks would benefit the event as it would then look like a first class event.  The TW clocks sync exactly with each TW computer and you do not have to worry about the visual clock (ISWA's in this case) not starting/stopping or displaying incorrect information from the TW computer.  The IHSAA rents these clocks for their events and I believe that it has made incorrect data entry (which there were a match or two incorrectly put in as results) almost nonexistent.  Again, this clock topic is not something I really think was bad, just that I think renting these clocks would allow for smoother operation of the event.  I know that a few Indiana schools have TW Clocks (Elkhart Memorial, Bloomington South, Carmel for sure) and I am sure there are a few that I am not aware of.

I thank the IHSWCA for this years event.  I believe that every year you are doing better with regards to running this tournament, but there is always room for improvement.  We have moved further into the Y2 concept of if you want to make it the Super Bowl, then we have to treat it like the Super Bowl.  I think a few things that I mentioned above would continue to push this event further forward.

Edited by leggin89

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.