Seeding Committee

decbell1

Thought it was pretty close for 1A. 2A was almost as expected except Jimtown. 3A was and always will be a toss up. Good work for this format. I think everyone here knows my preference but the IHSAA won't work with the IHSWCA.

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

This is exactly why I wish the two would team up. Fix the schedule and earn your way to this event. I'd have it at 8 teams per class maximum. Make the rule that teams must have 7 or more wrestlers to compete and put them in sectionals/regionals. Have top 2 teams in each advance to the 4 semi states set up like individual. Trim the semis to have 2 teams advance to state and randomly draw the 2 seeds against 1 seeds except for those in the same semi state. Blame the IHSAA for dropping single class and then not helping grow class wrestling.

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

seemed pretty good...i personally felt we were potentially a 7 or 8 seed...having injuries I knew our chances of being any higher than that were no good....it was fair though, we got a chance to wrestle both seeds and they were pretty decent matches...i loved the event ...as far as seeding the top 4...Nobody can argue Yorktown and Bellmont being the #1 and 2...Jimtown hadn't lost yet...so it'd be hard to take them away from the 3 spot also...North Montgomery finished 3rd...they were seeded 4th correct?  

Not to mention...it's wrestling...Do the Al Smith Seeds play out perfect very often?  Do any seeds play out perfect very often?  Nice job...great tourney...very good for our kids!

My question was we started the season ranked 3rd. Beat everyone out in front of us including a very tough Hamilton Southeastern squad. With 3 days before the seeding of team state, we drop to 4th in the rankings which led to us getting a 4 seed.. I am sure the rankings have an influence on the seeding for this tournament.

seemed pretty good...i personally felt we were potentially a 7 or 8 seed...having injuries I knew our chances of being any higher than that were no good....it was fair though, we got a chance to wrestle both seeds and they were pretty decent matches...i loved the event ...as far as seeding the top 4...Nobody can argue Yorktown and Bellmont being the #1 and 2...Jimtown hadn't lost yet...so it'd be hard to take them away from the 3 spot also...North Montgomery finished 3rd...they were seeded 4th correct?  

Not to mention...it's wrestling...Do the Al Smith Seeds play out perfect very often?  Do any seeds play out perfect very often?  Nice job...great tourney...very good for our kids!

I appreciate seeing rationality in this post............................Garrett is tough!

Ft. Wayne Carroll getting the 8th seed was a little generous. I think Crown Point was the only school they had a chance of beating and lo and behold! They happened to be in the same bracket. Other than that, they were spot on. Congrats to Brownsburg on a hard fought championship.

Carroll beat Zionsville worse than Penn did and beat Lawrence North worse than Warren Central did...3a without a DOUBT has to be the toughest to seed...I'm not jealous!  By no means am I disappointed in being a "miss"...I was pretty concerned coming in as we've had some misfortune in Garrett...as far as the North Montgomery/Jimtown argument...I can see it both ways...Jimtown finished 2nd last year and returned a ton of their line up...they were undefeated...Now, we know their heavyweight isn't wrestling, which changes things, but It'd be hard to punish Jimtown for being undefeated and a returning state runner up...North Montgomery is a legitimate top 3 team in 2A and will make some noise...and besides..."If you ain't first you're last."

Jimtown was undefeated, returning runners-up, and just placed above Penn in a round-robin style tournament that uses duals scoring; so moving them up to #3 wasn't egregious. It turns out Penn were missing some of their lineup before and arent quite as strong this year so the result was misleading, but the committee nailed the order on so many other teams that it's impossible to use the Jimtown miss to say they did a bad job. They've never stuck exactly to rankings so I'm certain that had nothing to do with the final decisions. It was one miss among almost line for line perfect order hits in every class. 6-7 were swapped in 3A. Jimtown drops from 3 to 6 and Garrett moves from 9 to 7 in 2A. 7-8 swapped in 1A. That's it. Everything else was line for line. Higher seeds went 55-6. Higher seeds in matches involving teams separated by 3 seeds or less went 32-6. As a fan, I would love to know how Bellmont/NM would go, so I can understand Coach Swain's frustration; but the committee did well overall.

Edited by maligned

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.