Middle School Redshirting

doctorWrestling

The Moran brother topic made me wonder what people think of the tactic of redshirting their kid for the purpose of sports.  I personally think it is bad but know kids in MI do it and have heard of an IN kid doing it.  Seems like a really bad message to send to the kid and the chances of it somehow paying off seem incredibly small.  Anyone think this is a good idea and I am missing something?

The Moran brother topic made me wonder what people think of the tactic of redshirting their kid for the purpose of sports. I personally think it is bad but know kids in MI do it and have heard of an IN kid doing it. Seems like a really bad message to send to the kid and the chances of it somehow paying off seem incredibly small. Anyone think this is a good idea and I am missing something?

This happens more often than people realize.. I would like to see the rankings with each kids ranking , grade and age .. I think a lot of people would be surprised at the results .. I know three freshmen driving to school and are as old as juniors .. I asked one of the Big Ten's coaches his opinion , " he said he was not a fan of red shirting and colleges do consider that when recruiting " he also said that when watching a "redshirt" athlete , they should dominate , if they don't something is wrong ..

I thought it was good they considered it anyways ..

Strongly disagree with holding a kid back strictly for sports related reasons. I personally feel it's an excuse to bypass hard work. Not withstanding, I know a couple "sports dads" who've done this, but in their case other factors were involved (grades/emotional issues/etc). It's a major temptation to parents who have kids who are young for their class though. I wasn't exempt from that temptation. With that said, even having a son who'll graduate at 17 and is currently a 14yr old freshman........his work ethic and drive proves that the only real road to success is spilling your guts into your goals. Short cuts always seem to catch up with an athlete.

To me, it's sending the message that Little Jimmy or Johnny can't cut it with his peers.  

I put this up with the practice of holding a kid out for over half a year and letting them compete in the State Tourney level at years end.   If a kid is REALLY hurt and not released until just before the sectional, I get it...But how often does that REALLY happen?

There is plenty of data and proof that it is beneficial for boys to be older in school than younger for physical and mental development. A real good read if you are interested (I doubt you are) is the book "Boys Adrift".  Since I have 3 boys I find this topic very interesting.  I just think if you are going to hold your child back it shouldbe before he even starts school. Personally I flunked the difficult grade of Kindergarten (reading readiness) and I was old for my grade because of that, but if I would not have been held back I would have weighed 85 pounds as a freshman. My freshman year I still only weighted 95 pounds.  Which would be why I will always fight for the little guy, I would like 103 to come back.

My son went to a football camp out west this past summer. After talking to several parents from other places at the camp it seems this is a standard practice in the football world, especially in California and Texas.

Strongly disagree with holding a kid back strictly for sports related reasons. I personally feel it's an excuse to bypass hard work. Not withstanding, I know a couple "sports dads" who've done this, but in their case other factors were involved (grades/emotional issues/etc). It's a major temptation to parents who have kids who are young for their class though. I wasn't exempt from that temptation. With that said, even having a son who'll graduate at 17 and is currently a 14yr old freshman........his work ethic and drive proves that the only real road to success is spilling your guts into your goals. Short cuts always seem to catch up with an athlete.

I think grades or emotional issues is a valid point only when you don't allow Little Johnny to wrestle in meets ( national or local) if the grades are not up to your standard then Johnny needs to work on homework not practice .. same with emotional issues , maybe they should go to counseling instead of wrestling practice.. my point is it is obvious who does it for their advantage on the mat so they are only fooling themselves ... just be honest with people and with yourself , it's because they can't compete with kids at the same age so it's cheating ( might be legal) but it's cheating

I think grades or emotional issues is a valid point only when you don't allow Little Johnny to wrestle in meets ( national or local) if the grades are not up to your standard then Johnny needs to work on homework not practice .. same with emotional issues , maybe they should go to counseling instead of wrestling practice.. my point is it is obvious who does it for their advantage on the mat so they are only fooling themselves ... just be honest with people and with yourself , it's because they can't compete with kids at the same age so it's cheating ( might be legal) but it's cheating

I'm in agreement.

I see the advantages and disadvantages and can make a good arguement either way. But I will say this... when we go to Disney and wrestle all-star, we tell coaches from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, etc that we don't really hold kids back. And they look at us like we're insane.

Just wanted to add that there are clearly times it makes sense to do it.  I also disagree with trying to start kids early in school so they are younger than everyone else in their grade.  Sometimes its a tough call when they are on the border of the age for starting. I just think telling or letting a kid repeat a grade just so they can be better at sports is bad idea.  If they started too young and need to be held back to mature, that actually makes sense to me.  

I've always thought the IHSAA should have put a hard date to classify what grade you were athletically regardless if it coincides with academic grade. So this year the Senior class would be June 1, 1998 to May 31, 1999 in my system. If they decide to allow athletic red shirt seniors to participate then so be it, but classify them as such and give the true seniors ability to compete in 8th grade.

I'll just say this, my son & I were faced with this very decision his 8th grade yr. By not redshirting, we knew that we wouldn't be wrestling varsity as a freshman. The 2013/2014 Perry Meridian Falcons were a pretty darn good team, & there was just no way a 125/130lb freshman was gonna have a spot on that team...I mean, we couldn't cut, cuz there was Cottey a 120lb Senior, then you had Aiden Kenny 126lb Senior, we couldn't go up cuz then you had the likes of Brandon James & Cody Lecount. So honestly we had every (sports) reason to redshirt a year. Even still, we chose against redshirting. I mean, my son was an A/B student, he was already 18 months into puberty, so there was no undeveloped issue. The only issue was, we won't make the team. To me that just wasn't enough. Now here we are, Senior in high school, and I ask myself many of times, "DID WE MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE" ??? Well, here is my answer....Yes

Have we done everything we thought we could do in high school wrestling, no (we still have this year) but my son is a great student, an awesome person, and I wouldn't have him any other way. I believe the mentors he's had in the Perry wrestling program (Coach Schoettle) have helped me mold my son into a fine young man. There is a whole lot more to life than a State Championship. If you asked me, don't you wish you still had 1 more year to try to win that state title. I would tell you absolutely, but that's just not the case, you get 4 years and that's it. If you get it done great, if not, well we damn sure had fun trying, and we are still the same person with or without that title. Wrestling titles or none, has made my son the man he is today. And by God I have a strong feeling we will get the team title tomorrow, so that alone would be just fine with us. And I can guarantee you this, my kid will never go down without a fight. In wrestling or in life, and that is all I could ever hope for...I will add this 1 last thing, that was just our decision, I completely understand exactly why any father would choose the other route & redshirt his son in the 8th grade. It was a very tough decision for us but we decided against it. That don't mean I'm right, that just means, it was what was right for us....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.