Moran brothers?

MatFish

I have a bigger problem with an issue going on in South Bend /Elkhart schools at this time than I do with this Moran transfer. Not sure of all the details, but from what I hear there are transfers do to disciplinary actions. Once again I am hearing 1 sided information but if only parts of it are correct than this Moran thing shouldn't be an issue!

IF I were with the IHSAA or Crown Point (I am affiliated with neither), here are the questions I would ask as to the legitimacy of the transfer:

1. Is this hour drive due to a new job? If not, why is the hour drive now an issue?

I really can only respond to this one, since I deal with that kind of drive everyday. Not only can the drive grow old, but things happen. I have had two deer run out in front of my car, and someone hit me in the winter during my drives to, and from work. I've seen a lot of cars go off the road. Sure accidents can happen anywhere, but I can see where after a while you'd want to move closer. Heck if my job wasnt going to be adding a new location where I live, id have been thinking about moving to avoid the drive.

When you say things like an administration is 'drawing a line in the sand', and it somehow supercedes KIDS participating in a sport they love and have worked at for nearly their entire lives...it sounds petty and misguided to say the least. Say it aloud without cringing, I dare you

When you say things like an administration is 'drawing a line in the sand', and it somehow supercedes KIDS participating in a sport they love and have worked at for nearly their entire lives...it sounds petty and misguided to say the least. Say it aloud without cringing, I dare you

It also sounds "petty and misguided" to transfer to another school because the former coach retired and kids (i.e. parents) allegedly scurried from the program like rats from a sinking ship. Coincidentally, the new school just happens to magically have a state ranked wrestling team - how convenient. Rules are rules, and yes sometimes they "supersede" personal needs. I want to be able to drive as fast as I want on I65 but the rules say I can't. Why? Because those are the rules. I don't have to like the rules, but I also recognize I may get punished if I don't.

I do feel sympathy for the Moran's in the sense they are getting punished when kids at other schools are not; sometimes in situations that rumor has it are far more egregious. Youth sports stopped being "about the kids" a long time ago - probably about the time we let adults start making the rules! 

CP and anyone who supports them with a blind eye for what's best for kids can justify what they did until the cows come home.  At the end of the day, they aren't upholders of the law or fighters for justice, their leadership simply showed everyone their true colors. Make no mistake, I'm sure Crown Point, as loudly as they speak also swings a mighty big stick with the IHSAA.  I mean it's an affluent community, many successful athletic programs, lots of scholars, and scholar athletes are abundant as well....that doesn't mean they don't have a dumb ass or two on their payroll just like the rest of us.  This is plain and simple..."NO WAY IN HELL ARE WE LETTING YOU TRANSFER TO PORTAGE."  They proceeded to get parents on board to help prove their case, some CP parents wrote essays to simply discredit Leroy Vega, some provided video of Vega stepping in to coach Jacab Moran at IOWA nationals because he needed a coach.  Even though Vega freely admitted that from the get go, so video was a moot point.  Let's see, Vega who genuinely befriends virtually everyone, is walking past a mat where an Indiana coach isn't present...and he sits down in their corner and lends a helping hand, CP parents film it...and thus here we are.  He has done this for MANY of our Indiana kids...for a lot of years and on a lot of levels along with Eric Keith...and have NEVER looked outside of Portage to build a team.   

Edited by throw45

What the heck do you know about why they transferred Vito?  Are you the smartest man in the world????  Do you have insight the rest of us don't??  You seem to be awfully sensitive to the topic!

Don't get your bloomers in a bunch, it's a discussion forum. If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. The last thing I am is a CP supporter.  I'm just calling it the way I see it.  I have not nor will you ever hear me say a negative word about Leroy Vega.  My issue is with the spirit of the transfer rule.  You can call me old school (call me whatever you want actually, I could care less), but I believe rules are meant to be followed.  Simple as that. If you don't like the rules go through the proper channels to have them changed.  

I agree with you Throw. Vega and Keith coach many kids through schoolboy duals and even last year Vega coached the Indiana kids at the Pennsylvania dual. Yes it was all seniors, but both of them are always willing to coach someone who needs a coach if they don't have one there. It's just absurd to me that CP would do this. I guess they don't care about kids futures and scholarships that could potentially hurt older Moran. Disgusting in my eyes.

I'm going to date myself a bit here, but I remember in the late 90's when Kevin English tried to move to Portage and was eventually denied eligibility. If I'm not mistaken, he was allowed to wrestle the entire year, but was then found ineligible later in the year when they had the official hearing and not allowed to participate in the state series.  This was a long time ago, so I could be getting details mixed up, but I swear he had 30 matches wrestled when he was found ineligible.  I only bring it up because that might be the middle ground here. Allow them to wrestle until the move is either found to be legal or not legal according to the IHSAA.  If the move is proven to be legitimate, they didn't miss anything, if they are found to be ineligible, then they lose out on the state tournament, which in essence why you wrestle during the season. 

The problem is the rule is only applicable a portion of the time.  Almost a certainty this decision lied SOLELY in the hands of CP's AD.

That's a great point.  The only thing I would say different is that ideally any rule should be applicable ALL OF THE TIME.  Therefore, who is more to "blame": 

A.  The AD's across the state who turn a blind eye to shady transfers?

B.  The AD's who hold up a transfer because they believe the spirit of the rule was violated?

Without focusing on the Moran case, if you think rules always have to be followed the answer is B.  If you think kids and parents should operate under a fully open transfer system, than the answer is A.  Unfortunately, I don't think it's that simple. 

Edited by vito pepperelli

I'm going to date myself a bit here, but I remember in the late 90's when Kevin English tried to move to Portage and was eventually denied eligibility. If I'm not mistaken, he was allowed to wrestle the entire year, but was then found ineligible later in the year when they had the official hearing and not allowed to participate in the state series.  This was a long time ago, so I could be getting details mixed up, but I swear he had 30 matches wrestled when he was found ineligible.  I only bring it up because that might be the middle ground here. Allow them to wrestle until the move is either found to be legal or not legal according to the IHSAA.  If the move is proven to be legitimate, they didn't miss anything, if they are found to be ineligible, then they lose out on the state tournament, which in essence why you wrestle during the season. 

I think his brother transferred from Merryville to Crown Point and was ineligible his senior year. It seems like our wrestling transfer and lake county politics are kinda da sane.  

You're really reaching when you compare public safety to a kid competing in a sporting event. Who gives a crap if portage benefits from a transfer. I'll spare the time of listing the numerous kids who transferred in a way that benefitted the new team, but needless to say CP is one of those teams, as has been mentioned. You acknowledge that enforcement of this rule is arbitrary...so, why is that? It's stupid and puts one team's sour grapes ahead of KIDS playing a sport. Did these kids commit a crime, or engage in unsavory behavior? Nope. They moved. How outrageous

You're really reaching when you compare public safety to a kid competing in a sporting event. Who gives a crap if portage benefits from a transfer. I'll spare the time of listing the numerous kids who transferred in a way that benefitted the new team, but needless to say CP is one of those teams, as has been mentioned. You acknowledge that enforcement of this rule is arbitrary...so, why is that? It's stupid and puts one team's sour grapes ahead of KIDS playing a sport. Did these kids commit a crime, or engage in unsavory behavior? Nope. They moved. How outrageous

Apparently someone gives a crap because right or wrong, they're not eligible.  The Moran's aren't the first transfers that were denied or held up, and they won't be the last.  Contact the Principal and AD at your local HS and start lobbying for the rule to be changed. Until that happens this will always be an issue. 

I think his brother transferred from Merryville to Crown Point and was ineligible his senior year. It seems like our wrestling transfer and lake county politics are kinda da sane.

You are right that was my freshman year. It would have been nice to see him wrestle against Belmont at state when Merrillville lost by a view points. They lost 152 as well.

Word to the wise. You can move for athletic reasons any time you feel like... all the way up to and including 8th grade. Do not take a chance to let the transfer referees to make a call against your kid.

Edited by Mat Shark

Who's to say it was for athletic reasons? These kids would've had great years competing for Switzerland County (no offense to Switzerland County). They don't need to compete for Portage to have successful seasons. I have zero stake in this matter personally, but CP gains nothing from this, and Portage will be just fine without the brothers. Only the Moran boys pay the price....just because, without any criteria making this case unique. Fingers crossed they get their eligibility back soon

Who's to say it was for athletic reasons? These kids would've had great years competing for Switzerland County (no offense to Switzerland County). They don't need to compete for Portage

to have successful seasons. I have zero stake in this matter personally, but CP gains nothing from this, and Portage will be just fine without the brothers. Only the Moran boys pay the

price....just because, without any criteria

making this case unique. Fingers crossed they get their eligibility back soon

They also would have had the best county in the state to deer hunt...RIVER BOTTOM BUCKS

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.