Anyone Have Thoughts on J Robinson?

I have always been a fan of his Gopher wrestling teams. He seemed to be very strict and disciplined. His firing makes it very sad and so hard to believe. His handling of the prescription drug abuse by his wrestlers was just the opposite of how he came across. His hard headed ways ended his great run. Almost like Paterno but with a lesser scandal. Sad when it looked like winning/not following policy came before the right way to do things.

It's an all around bummer, but I disagree with your take on how the situation was/should've been handled. From what I understand J was simply looking out for his kids, which, IMO, is the right way to do things. This situation is absolutely nothing like Paterno/Penn St scandal. I'm curious, how would you have liked to see it handled?

It's an all around bummer, but I disagree with your take on how the situation was/should've been handled. From what I understand J was simply looking out for his kids, which, IMO, is the right way to do things. This situation is absolutely nothing like Paterno/Penn St scandal. I'm curious, how would you have liked to see it handled?

He knew the new Sheriff was in town and didn't handle it the way he (AD) wanted. Personally I would have liked how J handled it to be the way given his tenure and reputation. However, with the way precedent has been set in our society, he should have complied. Especially when law enforcement was brought into it. I only compare it to Paterno since he was shielding his wrestlers. I don't condone what Paterno did, but have no problem with J's intentions. I just thought it was foolish since we see how similar cases have been handled. Unfortunately you have to follow the PC & PR rules today.

Unfortunately, there are just too many situations where a coach trying to "protect" his kids or his staff comes with mixed motives that ends up protecting a criminal (the Paterno case of protecting staff is the leading example) or comes with some naivete (which I think there was a bit with Coach Robinson)--which also potentially ends up protecting a criminal or two among the bunch.  Even in the rare case where there are genuine best interests of kids in mind and nothing else, there's no way that secretiveness is ever the right play nowadays with all we know about how kids or criminals manipulate these situations.  Transparency and accountability have to go hand in hand for the genuine best interests of everyone in today's landscape.

Edited by maligned